Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GYM AFTER SURGERY? LIFTING WEIGHTS?

Hi! I have surgery on the 10th of this month and I am prepping all my things to do before hand so I'm fully prepared. One of my main concern is starting to work out again. I haven't been to the gym in over 5 years and I won't lie, I miss it! I just want to know when it's safe to start hitting the gym and when is it recommended to start lifting weights?

I want to lose all this weight first but also gain muscle. Any tips?

check with your clinic - but for me, I was allowed to walk right away. At four weeks out, I was cleared to do everything but weights. At eight weeks out, I was cleared to do weights.

I would think the surgeon will speak to you about this. The general rule is wake up from anesthesia and start walking straight away. Avoid any heavy lifting and physical strains for 3-4 weeks.

My doctor said all restrictions for his patients end at 4 weeks... I’m a gym rat and can’t wait!

Hi i am also looking forward to working out im a little over two weeks out but cant due to incision issues. Two of mine came open. Heres a pretty pic as an example. So i would wait to buy a plan to see how your incisions do first. This one had to reexcised today and hopefully it will heal up. The one i have at midline also opened and they put silver nitrate in it. Its painful to do some midline stuff and twisting. Some dont have incision problems some do just giving you the heads up on why to wait 💗

050EFF14-B703-4B60-A9B5-DB92EA2CAAC2.jpeg