Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month diet and mind games

With all that’s going on in the world I’m finding it difficult to not stress eat on this 6 month diet. I mess up then tell myself “I still have 3 weeks before my next weigh in appt.” I’m right at 40 BMI so that’s another game I play. “I need to stay there so I can qualify (although I will still even if I lose weight). So I need to know, how do I get my head on straight? How do I stop making all these excuses? What has helped you?

I was the same way. When I first started my journey in October I was half-assing it. I somehow managed to lose 4 pounds that month. And the next two months I lost another 4 pounds each month. It wasn’t until my surgery was postponed due to insurance that I took it serious. Just do your best and commit to it as much as you can. Yes, the mind games will come. But you’ve got determine your why. Why do you want this? Why do you want to spend the next 6 months preparing for something that is ultimately going to change your life and your body as you know it for the better?

I was tired of my back hurting anytime I walked just a little bit or stood for more than a few minutes. I was tired of not being able to bend over and tie my own shoes. I was tired of not being able to play with my niece and nephew because I was so out of breath. I was tired of isolating myself because I hated the way i looked. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired! When the mind games comes remember your goal. Remember your why. You can do it.

It’s so hard. So many years of thinking that way. Thanks so much for your input, you’re right. Why keep sabotaging myself?! It helps to know there are others out there who have gone through it. Thank you!

I tried to look at my time of preparing to submit to insurance (which was my first hurdle) as a way to get my head wrapped around the idea that things are getting ready to rapidly change. The first month I tried to be more mindful of what I was eating and drinking and that led to a reduction in sugar consumption. The next month I gave up sugar for the most part, but allowed myself to have an indulgence now and again. I kept adding things month by month that I was watching, still allowing myself to indulge every once in an while if I chose to.

Funny thing was, because I was allowing those indulgences, I found I didn't need to take them as often. I've not had a diet work for me, ever, for long. I've been doing this for the past 6 months and am down 45 pounds as of this morning. And that is without seeming to really try.

Echoing Cammy, when you get the cravings, try to remind yourself of why you have taken this step towards WLS. Put up motivational sayings, or pictures, or whatever will remind you around the house. If you have a favorite outfit that you want to fit into again, pull it out so you can anticipate getting into it comfortably.

Also, come out here frequently to the boards. Knowing I'm not alone in my journey really helps me keep my head in the game. In these uncertain times, I'm taking it day by day and hour by hour. I choose not to indulge for right now; maybe later. Eventually, later is a lot later.

This is a lot longer winded than I anticipated, sorry if I'm rambling. I hope all the best for you in your journey and believe that you can be all you can be, one step at a time.

((HUGS))

@Machalo Very well said! I concur 💯 ❤️

Good points!! I think I went all in too soon. I quit carbonated drinks first thing, but then also tried to follow the diet to a “T” and probably needed to take it a little slower. I’m just at the beginning so I can hopefully get back on track. Thanks so much for your input!