Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I have an email in to my surgeon, but curious if any of you take turmeric or other natural anti-inflammatory post surgery? I know we can't have Ibuprofen or other medications that are anti-inflammatory, just curious if any of the natural ones have worked for you.

~Lori

I add tumeric to every dish just about. My inflammation has went down so much since the surgery/weight loss. I had a lot of ulcers from over use of Tylenol and Motrin for some many years. I’m all for natural now.

3 hours ago, loridee11 said:

Hi all,

I have an email in to my surgeon, but curious if any of you take turmeric or other natural anti-inflammatory post surgery? I know we can't have Ibuprofen or other medications that are anti-inflammatory, just curious if any of the natural ones have worked for you.

~Lori

Turmeric is exactly what I use. Have been for the past 6 years. Got surgeons approval to continue. I don’t think that I would have even had the surgery if turmeric were not an option.

I take the capsules with bioperine. It would be extremely hard to eat enough if the spice per day to do any good. Plus the body can’t absorb it without enough bioperine (black pepper) .

I use tumeric, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, black cumin, and ginger every day. But the biggest anti-inflammatory cure is getting the weight off. Fat is inflammatory, and the joints will always hurt when there is extra weight on them. Since surgery, I have not used any NSAIDs at all. My joint pain is zero.

Here is a really nice recipe for GOLDEN MILK. It's good hot or cold, or even added to coffee or tea for a chai latte.

2 cups milk (I use plant based milk - like Ripple)

2 TBS Agave nectar or maple Syrup. (I cut this in half and the drink is still sweet)

1 tsp tumeric

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp ginger

1/2 half tsp vanilla

1/4 teaspoon black pepper (Helps the tumeric to absorb)

Each half cup serving has 2 gm fat, 8 carbs, 4 Protein, 55 calories. If you cut the syrup in half, each 1/2 cup then has 4 carbs and 31 calories.

Azhiker, do you strain out the spices? I used to strain them out using cheese cloth. I think I will go back to turmeric again!

My joint pain is much less severe since losing the weight. But my knees are to the point that a lot of damage was already done.

My sister had knee surgery and also uses turmeric. She was to the point that she could barely walk. The turmeric has been a miracle for her as well as myself.

Thanks all! I am looking at the Turmeric capsules with Bioperine. I heard back from my surgeon and he said its fine to try and to just watch out for any gastrointestinal side effects.

My knees are already feeling a lot better, but my left knee still won't bend fully so I'm hoping this will be a good boost as I continue to lose the rest of my weight. Hopefully it won't be required forever but at least it sounds like an option if it is.

10 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

Azhiker, do you strain out the spices? I used to strain them out using cheese cloth. I think I will go back to turmeric again!

No, I don't strain - just stir/shake and drink. It is my new bedtime ritual - warm golden milk.

I take acetaminophen (Basic Care or name-brand Tylenol) or low-dose Bayer aspirin with no issue.

On 2/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, loridee11 said:

Hi all,

~Lori

I try to use tumeric, ginger, and cinnamon every single day. i use fresh, grated tumeric in a lot of my cooking, as well as adding dashes here and there of the dried. I also add black pepper to the dishes, which is supposed to help the tumeric absorb better. Another very powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory is black cumin, or "black seed." It has a sort of spicy, peppery taste and easy to use by putting the whole seeds in a pepper grinder.

My other "go - to" spices that I try to use on a daily basis are cinnamon, ginger (fresh or dried), and cloves. Very good antioxidants and anti-inflammatories. I have no joint pain, except for a touch of bursitis in one hip that has flaired up a bit since I started putting in lots of hiking miles. I may need to get a shot in a few months if I am still intent on doing the Grand Canyon in October. But I am hoping the natural herbs will help.

I take 1000-1500mg of turmeric via capsules just about every day with no problem. I started back again with that regimen about 3 months out. **I have mild HS (hidradenitis suppurativa) on the lower part of my pits though**

Edited by TheJuice202