Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my local WLS support group through our Bariatric Center here last night. One of the ladies who I got to know over the last few months went for her surgery on Nov 1st along with her good friend they did it together.

They were having bypass though. She came through her surgery fine. But 6 days out she started vomitting and passing black stools and so her husband of 47 years called the office and they told him that she must not be following the diet and he corrected them and said no she is.

The 7th day after surgery, she continued to get worse, could not keep anything down and was having even more black tarry stools. He called again only to be told to watch her and call back tomorrow.

The 8th day she was projectile vomitting and tissue was coming out, sorry about the graphic nature, she was having tissue in her black stools as well and they were even more and more than before. He called again and they said bring her to the ER. He called 911 because she was nearly unresponsive.

She was put into ICU and tests were ran and low and behold she had developed an infection. Caused by the antibiotics that they give before surgery it had killed off the good bacteria in the colon and left a nasty bacteria called:

Clostridium difficile, and it was taking over to the point of being beyond the control at this point. She died on November 10th. It was so sad to hear about this being only a few days after her on my own surgery date.

It makes me realize just how dangerous these surgeries we have are. Again what fighters we are to make that hard decision to go ahead.

The mayo Clinic has a web article about this nast bacteria and it states that the number of cases has doubled from 1993 to 2003. with most of the increase coming after 2000. I believe they are right when they say that the ever increasing desire to treat with wide spectrum antibiotics is only going to make this type of situation more common.

This bacteria is found in hospitals but it is also found in healthy people and in their colons. It is spread by people not washing their hands and it can be on anything, anywhere.

So be careful out there and take care, wash your hands and wash your counters and bathroom areas diligently.

We need to make sure to call the DR and go to the ER if things get too bad. Perhaps if she would of just gone in on day 1 of the symptoms she may of beat it, but of course we will never know.

:think

Infection was my biggest fear with surgery. I mean, if I die on the operating table, I won't even know, but an infection to me was the scariest thought. I'm so sorry for you losing your friend, and how awful her family must feel. You are all in my prayers.

That was so sad for your friend and her family. But it also proves to us to be active in our own health. If we do not get the response we feel we should be getting, take initative and go to the ER on our own. I hate that the people whos hands she put the responsibility of her life/health in did not respond accordingly and instruct her to go immediately to the ER when she first started signs of distress. PA

I am so sorry to hear that.........

It is so scary at the same time.

I feel such remorse for the husband who gave it call after call and trying but was told to just monitor her...

48 years marriage ending that way...

This is the second person I've heard of having this infection. My uncle, 80+ years old, lives with DH & I because he can't live alone anymore. He was just in the hospital with this same infection. Before then, I never even heard of it. They did all kinds of tests and when the results came back, off to isolation he went. This is a very serious condition and highly contagious (spelling). So please, do keep cleaning your bathrooms and wash your hands in soap and hot Water as hot as you can take it frequently. Thank God Uncle Bob's infection was caught early enough for them to take proper action and is now home with us again. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am sorry to hear that your friend had passed away from an infection. No doubt there are serious risks with any kind of surgery. We must speak up and be heard when it is our health that is at risk. Arm ourselves with knowledge and if we do not get the response we want, seek it somewhere else.

Be encouraged with knowing that she is being cared for now.

My sincere condolences to you, the people at your support group, this poor ladies family and her husband of 48 years.

To all of you who responded......yes it is hard and I wanted to get the word out so everyone knows how important it is to call the DR and then go to the ER.....if you are feeling bad.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. My grandfather is currently in the hospital after being septic for a second time in two months with Cdiff. Her doctors office should have known better though-they should have at the very least instructed her husband to take her to the ER. And dark tarry stools should have definantly set off a warning bell to the surgeons staff! That usually means a gastrointestinal bleed of some kind. I'm really beginning to wonder what is wrong with some of these doctors and their staff. Does no one have any common sense anymore?

How sad! :( I am SO sorry. To me, it's unfathomable for a surgeon to brush that off so lightly. I know it's neither here nor there now...but I simply can't believe it! You'd think, in today's sue happy environment, that alone would cause the surgeon to send her to the ER at the first call. Or at LEAST bring her into the office! So very sad :(

I cried when I read your post. I am an RN and cannot imagine the office staff putting off your friend with symptoms like that. What a tragic loss! Too many patients never question what they are told to do by the "telephone nurse". Sometimes it pays to be a bit pushy. My heart goes out to her husband. Sounds like he did all he could to seek help for her in repeatly calling the office. I pray God will comfort him in his grief and that he will understand that it was NOT his fault. (((((((HUGS)))))))))) to you too my friend.

Lorid Thank you:

I live in Peoria,IL the surgeon was at our support group meeting and he was very supportive of the husband. I really believe he had no idea she was experiencing this until she got to the hospital.

I believe the staff nurse is the one who made the call.......frankly I believe she should no longer have her job. She at the very least should have to go back to school and learn about symptoms.

I know we all are human and capable of mistakes but this one was sad. Not that they could of done anything, it sounds like it was too far gone anyway by the time she got to the ER.

But I appreciate all the kind words said here about her. I hope we all learn leasons from her loss.