Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you follow your post op diet?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you follow your post op diet?

• Yes, I followed it to the letter!
    • I used the diet as a guideline and listened to my body
    • No, I pretty much followed my own post op rules
    • Other - please specify in post

Hi ya

Just got curious about the link between lap band slippage and following post op diets because of another post - so wondering for those that had experienced lap band slippage did you follow your post op diet?

I'm almost 4 weeks post op and am still on the mushies stage but should go to the next stage after my appoint with the nurse on Tuesday. I have kept to the post op diet.

Hi:

I followed the doctors orders to the T and didn't have any issues. I'm 4 months out from surgery and am so happy I got it done.

Sue

Oops maybe the title I put is deceiving - this was meant for a poll for those that HAD had a slippage and to find out if there was any link to post op diet!!

Okay have started new poll for those that have actually had slippage or complications! He he teach me for trying to do something I had never attempted before. But for rest keep answering this poll it would be interesting to see how many actually follow their post op diet.

I don't think you'd be able to tell anything by this poll any way.

It seems every doctor gives a different post op diet. Some say liquids for 2 weeks. Some say liquids for 2 days. Some don't even give one at all!!

i followed the post op diet to a t, but after the 4 weeks diet i ate all i didnt follow the rules of having a band. like dont let yourself eat till you throw up.

I followed the immediate rules to the letter, but now, I'm 4 months out and have tried shrimp (which I shouldn't have!) and a few other things on my taboo list. I just try it and keep portions low. So many people here have said they've eaten certain things and others say they can't handle it....so I just try and stop when I'm full.

I followed the Post-Op diet, but as I began to get fills I ignored the my body's signal that I was full. I vomited a lot, thus developed a slippage. We couldn't figure out why at 2ml I was totally occluded. I now have the newest band and am not experiencing any vomiting.

I followed it to the letter, lost weight, reached goal in under a year, got defilled last summer thanx to acid reflux which won't respond to treatment and now my surgeon thinks that I might have a slippage. I will find out on Monday after I get X-rayed.

I followed the Post-Op diet, but as I began to get fills I ignored the my body's signal that I was full. I vomited a lot, thus developed a slippage. We couldn't figure out why at 2ml I was totally occluded. I now have the newest band and am not experiencing any vomiting.

How did you know your band slipped? Did you feel pain or any difference? I'm newly banded and just want to be aware of what the signs of slippage are.

Thanks!

What kind of band do you have now?

I just got banded on Friday, January 18, 2008 and five days later found out that my band had slipped. It was the most awful pain that I have ever experienced and luckily my doctors were able to determine (after an x-ray) that my band had slipped and had to immediately go into the operating room again. This was all because I did not follow directions when my doctor told me not to eat anything at all. Let me tell you that the slightest most tiniest piece of food can get stuck in your pouch and will cause a lot of vomiting which will, in turn, cause the slippage. I highly recommend that you follow all the instructions and diets that are given to you as this will make your band experience a good one. After the band was adjusted, I felt a tremendous relief being that before it was fixed, I could not hold any liquids at all (including medication) and was dehydrated to the point that I felt extremely weak. Feel free to ask anything you want about slippage. I'm new to this, just as many of us are, but I guarantee you that with my latest experience, I feel now that I am an expert in band slippage.

Good luck to all in your journey!

Johziel.......would you do the world a favor and post what you said here on the main board. I see so many people being rebellious about the eating rules and almost bragging that "I ate whatever and it went down fine and didn't hurt...haha". They may not know for weeks or months whether or not they did damage. Maybe sharing your experience will be a warning to someone who is pre-op or a newbie and is on the verge of doing that very thing.

I just found out yesterday I have a slip (after 2 years and no problems)....I'm on liquids and up in the air right now.

Hope you continue to do well.

Two weeks later........

Went back for Xrays today after 2 wks of liquids (and really mostly liquids for 5 wks before that)......and the slippage has 'fixed itself'!! I was so relieved!

I went over there fully expecting to be scheduled for surgery but it looked good.

They did tell that once a band slips it is prone to slip again so I'm not getting too cocky. They just said 'be aware of symptoms'.....I'm not sure what that means - I didn't really have any symptoms before except I couldn't hold much food even tho I didn't have any fill in my band....and I'd quit losing weight even tho I'd been very compliant. Maybe that's the symptoms?

Anyhow.......thanks for the PM's and well wishes. I think I'm gonna go on vacation next week!!