Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve and Back Pain

I had gastric sleeve surgery about 4 years ago. I was wondering if anyone had back pain with the sleeve. Would this pain be due to the gastric sleeve pouch or disc herniations? They did an MRI and found some bulging discs. The back pain is very bad. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Edited by Green1

I had bulging discs and degenerative disc disease before I got the sleeve. Part of why I got it was to help relieve my back pain. So in my case, the two things aren't related and losing 80 lbs. has helped my back. Good luck with your back!

I can't imagine there being a direct link between the two, though it would not be unreasonable for it to be a result, at least in part, of the weight loss and a shifting center of gravity - altered posture as your shape and balance changed.

Similar questions occasionally come up in our support group, which is comprised mainly of veterans 10-20 years out - "I'm having this and such problem - is it related to the WLS?" and the usual answer is that while there might be some connection, it isn't common and the overriding factor is that you are fifteen years older, and these things happen as we age...

I have known people who have engaged a kinesiologist as they were losing to help them with their balance as their weight shifted with the loss. This might be part of your solution - in addition to any surgical or other medical intervention that the docs may advise - a professional to evaluate your posture and movement to see if that is a factor in your pain,

Have you had an MRI? What does your doctor think?

What's interesting is the same condition can cause extreme pain in some people and no pain in others. What helps me the most, and what many studies I've read show that moving by doing cardio and lifting weights helps. It helps more than stretching even. I did 9 months of PT and now I work out with a trainer and am a lot less dependent on medication. Here's an article about pain that's pretty interesting. Pain is weird.

Sorry your back hurts.

Edited by JessLess

On 10/27/2019 at 6:30 PM, JessLess said:

I had bulging discs and degenerative disc disease before I got the sleeve. Part of why I got it was to help relieve my back pain. So in my case, the two things aren't related and losing 80 lbs. has helped my back. Good luck with your back!

Thank you for sharing this. I have chronic neck/back pain and I am hoping that the weight loss will reduce or eliminate the pain. I am now even more hopefully because you shared your experience.

Edited by PlanetHopper
mis-type