Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

still smoking, Are you?

im still smoking , anyone else still smoking? i know its not good for my health, getting healthy with the band and killing myself with cigarettes......

Cigarettes are the food i cant eat........:cry

Ginaki, I've smoked for 40 years. I quit about 2 weeks prior to surgery, mainly because I was afraid they would loose me on the table! I've been quit now for a little over a month. I had a slip up last weekend, but back on track now. You have to want to quit, for a long time I told myself I enjoyed it! Geeeze enjoyed it? How can anyone enjoy coughing to the point of seizures? I would cough so hard I would black out. But when I decided to get the band, I wanted to get healthy all around, not just the weight. I want to be able to go for a walk and not get out of breath in less than a block. I can walk with hubby now and even keep up and not get out of breath! I use the nicotine gum, don't taste so good, but it works for me, if you really want to quit and get healthy give it a try. It's still not easy, but if you want it bad enough you can do it.

I was smoking around a pack and a half to 2 packs a day. The day of surgery my surgeon RIPPED into me when she found out that I was still smoking. She told me how the nicotine affects the port, it goes into the port and disintegrates it. The nicotine also eats away at the band.

I started taking Chantix 2 weeks ago. You are supposed to wean yourself off in the first week and by the time you begin the full dose, you are supposed to be not smoking. I took an extra 5 days to stop smoking.

I am officially a non smoker since 11:30 pm, November 16th, 2007.

Yes, I am DYING to smoke a cigarette. There are times I feel like I would kill to have one. Then I hold my breath for 20-30 seconds and the feeling sort of goes away. It is hard, I'm not going to lie to you. But you know what? I'd rather get myself 100% healthy, between not smoking and having the band to help lose weight.

Besides, I got a scare. My Avon district manager died of lung cancer 2 weeks ago, she was 56 years old. She fought it for 1 year and lost the battle.

I smoked for several years, and in August 07 when I was a given my lap band surgery date of Oct. 24th I got really scared.

I read and talked to by surgeon about how smoking can cause complications during, and after surgery and that some surgeons will not operate if you have not stopped smoking for at least six weeks prior to surgery.

I quit on August 11th 07 and have not smoked since. The first few days were crazy!!! I was irritable and could not be around smokers or watch t.v or movies with anyone smoking.

I thought I would climb the walls, however, I rode it out and each week it got easier and easier. :wacko:

I was so desperate I chewed regular gum constantly and also tried Nicorette gum. The fear of surgery is what caused me to quit.

Try logging on to American Cancer Society there is a support web site for those trying to quit.

I wish you the best and you can do it!! :clap2:

I smoke and my Dr. just got on my case about it. He say's smoking sometimes causes ulcers around the band. I know I need to quit and I am ready to. I heard that "Chantax" works really well, I'm going to see if I can get a prescription.

I quit, but every once in a while I still want one.

I wasn't a heavy smoker before surgery. I smoked about 2-4 times per month. About a pack a month. I used to smoke 2 packs a day 10 years ago, but weaned myself off to only be an occasional smoker.

I decided that I am not going back. The last time I smoked was a week before surgery. I feel really good now. You can do it, if you want to!

I used Chantix to quit smoking. It has been a year in October. I decided to quit before I thought about the band. It was real easy with the pills and I only took the first month. I had my surgery on 10/08/07 and I have lost 27 lbs.

Stefanie:clap2:

Just like everything else, if you want it bad enough, you'll do it. When the time is right, you'll make it stick. Often it takes SEVERAL attempts to quit (just like several attempts to lose weight). I think I "quit" at least 7 times last year alone. I haven't smoked in almost 3 months now. I think this time it actually stuck. I'll never be a "non-smoker", always a "reformed smoker". I think I'll always want one, but, I can promise you it does get easier as time goes by. I think I've made it over the hump (first month or so is BAD BAD BAD). Just keep trying - one day it will stick for you too! You're worth the effort.

Best of luck

The longest I've ever quit was 2 days.. and it was a BRUTAL 2 days.

I didn't want to give up smoking and cause my diet to fail.

A lot of co-workers are quitting with chantix.. seems to work for most of them. One of them has gained sooo much weight from it though, he carries chocolate in his pocket. He said his cravings for cigarettes transferred to chocolate, and he's always eating it now. Eeek. Apparently his wife decided not to quit after watching him.

I am smoking MUCH more than pre-op, which is a bummer. I smoked 2 packs a day for 4 days last week. DH called me out on it, so I'm trying to slow it down.. but smokes definitely replaced food for me right now, I'm scared to quit :)

I was smoking over 2 packs per day before and after surgery. I started Chantix and weaned myself down. I haven't had a cigarette in almost 2 weeks. There are some times that I REALLY want one, but I'm able to get through it. Chantix is a wonderful thing!

Yep. ........i'm smoking too. It's worse at night when i'm hungrier. One thing at a time I say. Get a normal BMI, then quit smoking.