Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been a little hesitant to post here as I've seen some very judgmental replies in other topics, but here it goes anyway....

I found out I was pregnant back in May, 6 months post op, after bc failed. Both my surgeon and OBGYN (who actually had gastric by-pass surgery and had a surprise pregnancy 4 months post op) are happy with my progress and baby girl is very healthy. I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow and while I fluctuate between 161 and 163 for the past few weeks, I haven't really gained any weight. I started this pregnancy at 175 and was so sick during the first trimester that I lost weight. While this my third pregnancy, I can't really compare it to my other two which I started at 265 lbs and 250 lbs respectively. I've brought up my concerns during my appointments and I've been assured that everything is ok and that if my body wasn't ready for pregnancy it wouldn't have sustained it. I guess I'm just looking to see what experiences others have had post-surgery with weight gain. Basically any and all (constructive :)) advice is welcome.

4 minutes ago, rch1286 said:

I've been a little hesitant to post here as I've seen some very judgmental replies in other topics, but here it goes anyway....

I found out I was pregnant back in May, 6 months post op, after bc failed. Both my surgeon and OBGYN (who actually had gastric by-pass surgery and had a surprise pregnancy 4 months post op) are happy with my progress and baby girl is very healthy. I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow and while I fluctuate between 161 and 163 for the past few weeks, I haven't really gained any weight. I started this pregnancy at 175 and was so sick during the first trimester that I lost weight. While this my third pregnancy, I can't really compare it to my other two which I started at 265 lbs and 250 lbs respectively. I've brought up my concerns during my appointments and I've been assured that everything is ok and that if my body wasn't ready for pregnancy it wouldn't have sustained it. I guess I'm just looking to see what experiences others have had post-surgery with weight gain. Basically any and all (constructive :)) advice is welcome.

Trust your docs and follow their plans to a T. We're all just opinionated shmos on the internet who like to give advice. LOL.

Congrats on your pregnancy. IMHO, I agree. If your body couldn't handle the pregnancy, you would not still be pregnant. Most women lose their babies in the first 90 days without many knowing of their presence. :(

So the other thing is that baby is gonna get nourishment from your body whether you want it to or not! And I don't believe if we have extra weight on us, that we have to gain weight during pregnancy. I just read of one woman on FB who had a healthy pregnancy and perfect baby and weighed 1lb less after delivery than on the day of conception. How cool is that?

So just eat deeply healthy foods, to the amounts your docs want you to and relax and enjoy this healthier pregnancy. Try to keep C.R.A.P. out of your diet!!! Cuz what you put in now WILL affect the expression (epigenetics) of your baby's genes! Set her up to be healthy for life and come out with a normal birth weight!!!

Hey Much Congratulations, although many will be adverse I believe your Young Lady was meant to be, she👶 just didn't want to wait to make YOU her Mommy!
My own Mommy , I believe had what Prince William's wife _(and also his Mum had) they had to stop the gurney on her way to be delivered so she could vomit. List 15 pounds but I was a healthy husky 7 pounds & 12 ounces, 10-12 says early, if I had "baked" another two weeks maybe theyvwoykd have been warned. how BIG I was going to Grow! And I was a product of the mid 49s when Healthy Babies were Fat Babies, at a year I was 35 inchs tall, 26 pounds, the size of today's 2- 2 1/2 year old. Some people were BORN TO BE WILD, well I was BORN TO BE FAT and it wasn't until 72 I was able to defeat my heritage with a RNY BYPASS and a good bariatric surgeon who kept me motivated and said No You're NOT TOO OLD! God Bless and keep safe my Bradley J Needleman MD who gave me a chance to have a Future instead of a rapidly approaching Death! And now I look like this👗instead of a cheese puffball with Red hair m

4 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Trust your docs and follow their plans to a T. We're all just opinionated shmos on the internet who like to give advice. LOL.

Congrats on your pregnancy. IMHO, I agree. If your body couldn't handle the pregnancy, you would not still be pregnant. Most women lose their babies in the first 90 days without many knowing of their presence. :(

So the other thing is that baby is gonna get nourishment from your body whether you want it to or not! And I don't believe if we have extra weight on us, that we have to gain weight during pregnancy. I just read of one woman on FB who had a healthy pregnancy and perfect baby and weighed 1lb less after delivery than on the day of conception. How cool is that?

So just eat deeply healthy foods, to the amounts your docs want you to and relax and enjoy this healthier pregnancy. Try to keep C.R.A.P. out of your diet!!! Cuz what you put in now WILL affect the expression (epigenetics) of your baby's genes! Set her up to be healthy for life and come out with a normal birth weight!!!

Thank you for you positivity! I follow my dr.s advice, but since this such uncharted territory for me I like to hear other people's experience. This board was a big source of support for me when I had the gastric sleeve procedure. :) I really have made an effort to continue to eat healthy and give my baby girl the best nutrition I can pack into my reduced portions. I didn't gain that much weight with my previous pregnancies either, but I have been hesitant to compare them since the circumstances are so different. With my first I gained 17 lbs, had a 7 lb 14 oz baby, and was down 35 lbs when I got home from the hospital. With my second I gained 20 lbs, had a 8 lb 8 oz baby, and was down 30 lbs when I got home from the hospital. I used to joke pregnancy was my best diet.

Well maybe this one will be 6lbs 7oz or 7lbs 6oz, both perfectly normal baby weights and will set her up for optimal health! The other weights were fabulous, but still on the larger side so the new research shows that may convey a tiny bit of added risk as an adult. But not like the mondo 10-12lb babies!

Congrats on managing your pregnancies so well. You're gonna be a superstar. I hope other pg mommies come post for you to give you reassurance!!!