Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Experiencing terrible cramps

Posted (edited)

I am experiencing a cramp when I ate cream of wheat today. I am getting worried because I am not sure if this is normal or not. Should I be worried or do anyone know where this could be coming from?

Edited by ToriL

Cream of wheat gave me terrible stomach cramps. I thought I needed to call 911 it was so bad. It was either too thick or I ate it too fast.

Did it eventually go away for you? Was cream of wheat the only food that caused it for you?

certain foods bother me now (although moreso when I was a new post-op - not so much bothers me this far out). Just don't eat them - or try eating them when you're further along in your journey. There's probably something in cream of wheat that your system is reacting to.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

certain foods bother me now (although moreso when I was a new post-op - not so much bothers me this far out). Just don't eat them - or try eating them when you're further along in your journey. There's probably something in cream of wheat that your system is reacting to.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Posted (edited)

Try cream of rice and see what happens. That might tell you if it is the wheat or the texture.

Edited by AZhiker

Don't eat that, it's just filler food and not very nutritious - concentrate on your Protein goals and liquid goals. You are better off with ricotta bake, Greek yogurts or Soups with protein at this food stage - unless you have a milk allergy or something. Cream of wheat/rice are just processed carbs - no value. If you feel you need a carb try a baked sweet potato.

39 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Don't eat that, it's just filler food and not very nutritious - concentrate on your Protein goals and liquid goals. You are better off with ricotta bake, Greek yogurts or Soups with Protein at this food stage - unless you have a milk allergy or something. Cream of wheat/rice are just processed carbs - no value. If you feel you need a carb try a baked sweet potato.

You are right. Carbs should be the last thing added to the menu. A little fruit (with protein - like berries in yoghurt) would be a carb source until closer to maintenance.