Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ugh, ive had the worst gas pains after surgery and hvant been able to walk....and now I cant pee at all! This so unlike me that can usually pee at the drop of a hat. I feel like such a failure. (hehe) But the more serious side is that if i cant pee on my own, they are going to send e home with a catheter..more ugh.

Hoping you get some relief from the gas pains. Walking really is the best thing for them if you can force yourself to do it. Maybe it you get upright to walk it'll help you pee.

Wet almost hot towels, wring them out well, place on your lower abdomen, well below your incisions, if that doesn't work put them between your legs in the Private Area. The heat should relax things enough to go. If not, it's Mr Foley and his family, especially his Sister "Straight Cath". Sorry, My Dear!💦😪

They might be able to do a temporary one... are you still in hospital now? I had the same problem - could not pee, so they put the catheter in over night and took it out before I went home. Good luck with peeing!

So sorry that things still aren't moving along for you. I'm sorry I don't have any practical advice... think of waterfalls? Babbling brooks? A dripping tap? (Dang, now I have to pee)

Hoping like crazy that things get sorted right quick!

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

I (and the nurses) finally gave up at 3pm today and put in a catheter for me to have at home for about 10 days. I have yet to pee on my own since the surgery at all. When I was sitting on the toilet trying to pee, it felt like I was looking for (excuse me here) my first orgasm. Trying to relax while at the same time, use the muscle to find a way to pee. It did not work. The odd thing about the catheter now is that I feel like I have to pee each and every second. BUT if i take it out and cant pee, then that is VERY dangerous.

I've been able to walk around, but it has only helped the gas pains. The gas pains in the shoulders and right side, I was NOT expecting at all. I thought it was going to be more around the abdomen.

I had the same issue however I refused a cath- i just kept drinking and walking and trying to pee and eventually it happened. Took a long time but I was NOT getting a cath.....idk why cuz they are not that bad but I was determined. Best of luck.

Common sensation with a catheter indwelling, I can tell you this from nursing education AND personal experience. I felt like my body was trying to push it out, told it" If I can't produce urine, do you think my muscles can dislodge YOU?"
The pain is from pockets of gas under your diaphragm, see back when you were an embryo, that was where your nerves started out,--up where your shoulder blades are now, as you developed further the nerves descended with the diaphragm into your chest and abdomen. FYI even though you didn't ask, left shoulder pain can be your spleen too. I have jejunal ulcers, the portion my stomach pouch(I was a bypass) connects into, I feel the pain in the right subcostal(under the ribs) as well as the right shoulder. Lost my gall bladder 35 years ago, but argued with one of my surgeons that MAYBE it had regrown? Got a little concerned when I started get left side pain too, turned out I had more ulcers a little farther down. They assure me they are getting better, another Endoscopy June 12th, WE SHALL SEE!
But remember, this my dear, a catheter is only a bump in your Weight Loss Road🚧 you will end up fine and dandy at the end! So smile if you can, everything gonna be all right!

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

The pain is from pockets of gas under your diaphragm, see back when you were an embryo, that was where your nerves started out,--up where your shoulder blades are now, as you developed further the nerves descended with the diaphragm into your chest and abdomen. FYI even though you didn't ask, left shoulder pain can be your spleen too. I have jejunal ulcers, the portion my stomach pouch(I was a bypass) connects into, I feel the pain in the right subcostal(under the ribs) as well as the right shoulder.

Wow! That explains a lot. I too have the pain under the ribs as well. When they both started flaring up at the same time, I was like, "Oh shite this hurts." Thanks so much for the information.

Looking the nurse in the eye after she'd put in the catheter... Oh the indignance! This thread just brought back those memories 😂

3 hours ago, froufrou said:

Looking the nurse in the eye after she'd put in the catheter... Oh the indignance! This thread just brought back those memories 😂

Each time they did this, I was used as a training exercise. Im totally ok with that, but even had that feeling in the back of my mind.

15 minutes ago, Krestel said:

Each time they did this, I was used as a training exercise. Im totally ok with that, but even had that feeling in the back of my mind.

oh wow, I was asked if they could use me too! Normally I'm ok but not when it involves 'downstairs' haha

On 5/28/2019 at 6:26 AM, Krestel said:

ugh, ive had the worst gas pains after surgery and hvant been able to walk....and now I cant pee at all! This so unlike me that can usually pee at the drop of a hat. I feel like such a failure. (hehe) But the more serious side is that if i cant pee on my own, they are going to send e home with a catheter..more ugh.

Milicon was my friend after surgery I was up walking every 3 hours starting with recovery they made me walk to the chair from the recovery bed! Best thing I ever did. Ask for milicon walk bent over too no shame in pain! Im 7 weeks po. are ypu drinking 15ml in 15min? That was my Water goal

The Water hasn't really been a problem at all. I had a nasty (now quite helpful) habit of drinking water (albeit carbonated water...not POP!) all the time. So taking sips every once in a while seems really natural. My secret weapon has been a Munchkin 360 Thermos Sippy Cup. I love it! I've been keeping really watered down prune juice in it, and it tastes wonderful. (My husband was teasing me that you know you've become old when you start to turn to and like prune juice.)

Still walking around with a catheter now though. Will be getting it out next week and hopefully my muscles will find out how to work then.