Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypoglycemic Attacks?

Okay so I’m 1 week and 2 days post op, and yes my energy is low and I expected that, I’m following the post op liquid diet. I’m drinking Water, broth, strained Soups and eating Jello. However, last night I felt like I had to go to the bathroom, I couldn’t go but my body flushed and then I went pale as a ghost and my eyes rolled in the back of my head. I felt like I was going to pass out. I learned today that I bottomed out...has this happened to any of you? If so what steps did you take to prevent it from happening again?

14 minutes ago, holls88 said:

Okay so I’m 1 week and 2 days post op, and yes my energy is low and I expected that, I’m following the post op liquid diet. I’m drinking Water, broth, strained Soups and eating Jello. However, last night I felt like I had to go to the bathroom, I couldn’t go but my body flushed and then I went pale as a ghost and my eyes rolled in the back of my head. I felt like I was going to pass out. I learned today that I bottomed out...has this happened to any of you? If so what steps did you take to prevent it from happening again?

I had it happen twice in the shower I'm not really sure why it happened or how to stop it, it just went away.

Okay well I’m glad it went away for you! That gives me hope!

Reactive hypoglycemia is low blood glucose (sugar) that occurs within four hours after eating. Symptoms of reactive hypoglycemiamay include anxiety, fast heartbeat, irritability (feeling very stressed or nervous), shaking, sweating, hunger, dizziness, blurred vision, difficulty thinking and faintness.

But, reactive hypoglycemia post–gastric bypass generally can occur in patients one year or more after their bariatric surgery. ... The further out from surgery you are, the more tuned in to your body and reactions to food you become.

Since you are 9 days post-op, I suspect this is not the problem. Another possible explanation is that you were diabetic prior to surgery. If that was the case and you were taking blood sugar medicine, it might be time to reduce the amount of medicine your were taking. So you might want to check with your doctor and reset your prescription.

I was diabetic prior to surgery and I went off all my prescription medicine the day I left the hospital after surgery.

Another possibility is that it is not a blood sugar problem but rather an electrolyte imbalance. Common electrolytes include sodium, Calcium, magnesium, and potassium. ... When the amount of electrolytes in your body is too high or too low, you can develop dizziness, cramps, and problems with an irregular heart beat (heart rhythm) or symptoms of mental confusion. This may happen if you don't take in enough fluids daily.

Another possibility is dizziness can be caused by a blood clot. Embolism can occur when an embolus, or blood clot, forms around a heart valve that is not working properly, or is released within the arteries to the brain, causing a stroke. The effects of a stroke may include temporary dizziness. However, if the embolus travels to the vestibular system, it can cause severe dizziness. This is a very serious condition.

Or there are other possible causes for dizziness and fainting.

I would refer to your hospital discharge directions. There should be a page that describes when to contact you surgeon's office. On my discharge directions it states:

Chest pain, rapid heartbeat and/or dizziness.

Better to be safe than sorry!