Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Restrictions

Hello everyone,

I was sleeved 2/8/19 and so far it’s going well. The only thing is my surgeons guidelines are a liquid diet for a month and then a puréed diet for a month after that. I am finding myself wanting more than just liquid already and I can’t imagine another 3 weeks of this mostly because I feel like I won’t be able to get enough calories like this. I was just wondering what everyone else’s restrictions were and if a full month of liquid is the normal routine?

Edited by freidaboat

That is on the long side of things; more common is two weeks, sometimes less (ours was for most anything soft, pureed or liquid for the first month and then anything else.)

Programs have different progressions for different reasons. Some may be longer because they have had patients run into problems with quicker advances, or it may just be that they haven't tried a more rapid progression and don't really know how it works. I wouldn't go ahead of their schedule based upon others, but you could try asking them about it - I have seen patients report that their surgeon advanced them ahead of their published guideline because "we found patients cheating on the diet and not suffering for it, so we accelerated it - we'll update the guideline when we print a new batch..."

in short, it doesn't hurt to let them know how you are feeling (otherwise they may never know,) and maybe they were thinking along the same lines. You never know unless you ask.

Thanks! I plan on asking at my follow up on Tuesday.

I Just feel like the clear liquid thing is kind of bringing me down and I’ve been doing well thus far. So hopefully I get good news Tuesday. Just curious what everyone else’s restrictions were !

Wow, that seems really long. My liquid stage was only a couple of days, same with pureed and soft. I was back to regular foods within a couple of weeks at most. Of course, it was an "as I was able to handle it" thing, but I've had no problems with anything I've consumed.

I'd definitely speak with your surgeon's office, see what they have to say. Everyone seems to have different schedules, there really isn't any commonality between the programs.

Definitely follow the doc's plans!

I was Clear Liquids for 2 days

Full liquids for 2 weeks

Soft (skipped puree stage per doc) 2 weeks

Full diet beyond Week 4 (without raw veggies).

Raw veggies either Week 5 or 6? Can't remember.

I'm RNY. But just cuz I was able to eat on that schedule doesn't mean anyone else should. Each of our surgeries are different and carry different risks! So always best to ask your doc and RD!!

I was full liquids for 2 weeks and then they graduated us to "soft" foods but no raw veggies. We could start trying raw veggies at 6 weeks. Basically, I chew everything until it is mush before swallowing. One lady at my last nutrition group shared that she'd been using Gerbers as part of her "soft" routine.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, freidaboat said:

Thanks! I plan on asking at my follow up on Tuesday.

I Just feel like the clear liquid thing is kind of bringing me down and I’ve been doing well thus far. So hopefully I get good news Tuesday. Just curious what everyone else’s restrictions were !

mine was clear liquids three days, full liquids until 21days out, then purees for two weeks. then they suggest softer foods but I can eat what I want as long as I chew chew chew.