Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Modified DS (Loop) vs. Traditional DS

I am 6 weeks post surgery as I write this. Had a Loop DS performed on 12/17/18 from an original sleeve surgery 12/26/15 all performed by Dr. Basil Yurcisin at Garden State Bariatrics whom I recommend highly if you live in or near New Jersey. Originally lost nearly 70 lbs with the original Gastric sleeve but put on a bit more than half of it back before deciding to get more aggressive and choose a Loop DS. Since 12/17, I am down close to 40 lbs. For those reading this, there is a difference between a traditional DS and a loop DS. I grappled with this because I wanted the maximum weight loss effect. In the end, I settled for the Loop DS. because I was told the difference in weight loss is not that great compared to the negative side effects of the traditional DS. From some of the more traditional doctors, the jury is still out on the long term effects of the Loop DS. Please feel free to share your experiences for all who like me need the encouragement and to learn from each other, since we are part of the research to settle these issues.

Edited by James B

On 1/30/2019 at 2:41 AM, James B said:

I am 6 weeks post surgery as I write this. Had a Loop DS performed on 12/17/18 from an original sleeve surgery 12/26/15 all performed by Dr. Basil Yurcisin at Garden State Bariatrics whom I recommend highly if you live in or near New Jersey. Originally lost nearly 70 lbs with the original Gastric sleeve but put on a bit more than half of it back before deciding to get more aggressive and choose a Loop DS. Since 12/17, I am down close to 40 lbs. For those reading this, there is a difference between a traditional DS and a loop DS. I grappled with this because I wanted the maximum weight loss effect. In the end, I settled for the Loop DS. because I was told the difference in weight loss is not that great compared to the negative side effects of the traditional DS. From some of the more traditional doctors, the jury is still out on the long term effects of the Loop DS. Please feel free to share your experiences for all who like me need the encouragement and to learn from each other, since we are part of the research to settle these issues.

I'm still confused myself

DS is different to RNY & MGB?

According to one surgeon, the term roux en y just means an incision. So any of the surgeries like DS, Loop DS and MGB all use roux en y incisions. But in bariatric circles, the RNY pertains to the regular GB. All I know about the MGB is that it can be revised and is less invasive. As is the case with all of us, my biggest concern was/is weight regain over time. I chose the Loop DS because it seemed to be more effective with weight loss than the GB and MGB and equally as effective as the tradition DS with one less incision and less intestinal bypass, diarrhea, etc. As far as the DS vs the Loop DS (SADI), I am concerned about weight regain because of the significant difference in the amount of longer intestinal tract that is left with the Loop DS. But I also have to take into consideration the side effects of having that much shorter intestinal tract with the malabsorption issue.

I've just found one surgeon listed BILIO PANCREATIC DIVERSION and the only Tong close to DS.

MY choices are RNY or that. I'm after the best help to lose most weight and long term