Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Know your post-op insurance coverage



Recommended Posts

My insurance (like many ) covers 90 days of post-op follow-ups after surgery. The only reason I know this is that I've had surgery before and my ortho doc's office told me. So, my sleeve surgeon's office has twice tried to charge me for visits because they're miscoding them. If I didn't know better, they'd just be making me pay extra. I also had to get on them about charging me more for my surgery than my insurance allows. So, it's important to know your coverage and keep your doc's office honest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:51_scream: How did you end up finding out that they were trying to charge too much for your surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kimmie K said:

:51_scream: How did you end up finding out that they were trying to charge too much for your surgery?

It was really the hospital stay. My insurance is fairly clear that if its a center for excellence, its $X and $Y if not. When I got the bill, they had charged me $Y. Unfortunately, I didn't think about it when I paid it, so I paid the extra money and now have to figure out how to get a refund. Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, notmyname said:

It was really the hospital stay. My insurance is fairly clear that if its a center for excellence, its $X and $Y if not. When I got the bill, they had charged me $Y. Unfortunately, I didn't think about it when I paid it, so I paid the extra money and now have to figure out how to get a refund. Good stuff.

Ahhh sounds like you have Blue Cross or something. I have Anthem Blue Cross and they require the BC Center of Excellence junk too. So your surgery was performed in the right place and your doctor just charged wrong? That's messed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cigna requires a Center of Excellence, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Blue Cross was really quick to issue me a correct EOB, but getting the hospital to fix it is proving harder.

AT least at the doc's office for visits, I just tell them I'm still covered and I'm not paying the copay, so I dont have to try to get money back from them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Cigna requires a Center of Excellence, as well.

Interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, notmyname said:

Yep. Blue Cross was really quick to issue me a correct EOB, but getting the hospital to fix it is proving harder.

AT least at the doc's office for visits, I just tell them I'm still covered and I'm not paying the copay, so I dont have to try to get money back from them

Geez :( I'm sure it'll work itself out. You can't be the only person to have to go through this crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update - amazingly, it only took one email to get the hospital to acknowledge the problem and say they'd issue a refund. I am SUPER surprised. A teeny bit irritated that I had to catch it, contact insurance and contact the hospital to get it done, but it could have been SO much harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notmyname said:

Update - amazingly, it only took one email to get the hospital to acknowledge the problem and say they'd issue a refund. I am SUPER surprised. A teeny bit irritated that I had to catch it, contact insurance and contact the hospital to get it done, but it could have been SO much harder.

At least you caught it, great job on being diligent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×