Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m pre-op and have my final weigh in on the 17th. I’m 10 lbs away from the pre-op weight they set for me. We’re required to lose 7% of our total weight in 3 months which was about 23 lbs for me. I’m struggling so hard. I’m a Dispatcher for a police department and we constantly have cake, pizza, donuts, etc being brought in almost daily. The temptation to eat the sweets is almost unbearable. I know this is a mind game. I want this more than I’ve ever wanted anything in my entire life. But I cannot seem to simply say “no.” Anyone have any tips or have been through this before their surgery too?

Think about the fact that you won’t be able to eat it after. So why bother eating it now?

I love sweets so I understand! However use the surgery as motivation... what if you don’t lose the 10lbs and you can’t get the surgery???? So just keep that in mind when the junk foods are in your face. Eye on the prize!

Think of the junk food as the decline to surgery. And how long you have been waiting for this day. 10 pounds from what you have done is the final leg of the race. I would recommend doing a liquid diet for the next week or something as 10 pounds in a week is a lot to accomplish with food.

You have to cut connections to known bad habits before surgery. You'll thank yourself when you are months out and are far removed from those poor food choices. If sweets are a weakness, try having fruit (berries, grapes, oranges, etc) on hand so you can join in on snack time and get a little sweetness that are not refined sugar sweets. That stuff is addictive. Post surgery it will be very hard and you realize food does not go down the same for a while until your esophagus and sleeve adjust to whole foods and you have to be vigilant 24/7 receiving signals from your sleeve. It is going to take a lot of mental strength and inner voice reasoning but keep your eyes on the long term goal and align them with short term habit forming of new habits and being mentally conscience of your food decision making

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You have to cut connections to known bad habits before surgery. You'll thank yourself when you are months out and are far removed from those poor food choices. If sweets are a weakness, try having fruit (berries, grapes, oranges, etc) on hand so you can join in on snack time and get a little sweetness that are not refined sugar sweets. That stuff is addictive. Post surgery it will be very hard and you realize food does not go down the same for a while until your esophagus and sleeve adjust to whole foods and you have to be vigilant 24/7 receiving signals from your sleeve. It is going to take a lot of mental strength and inner voice reasoning but keep your eyes on the long term goal and align them with short term habit forming of new habits and being mentally conscience of your food decision making

Excellent Advice!

On 12/09/2018 at 19:59, VSGDavid said:

Think about the fact that you won’t be able to eat it after. So why bother eating it now?
I really like the simplicity of this answer! Makes sense! Thank you ❤️

On 12/09/2018 at 23:48, Cute4aBigGirl said:

I love sweets so I understand! However use the surgery as motivation... what if you don’t lose the 10lbs and you can’t get the surgery???? So just keep that in mind when the junk foods are in your face. Eye on the prize!
Thank you!!

On 12/10/2018 at 07:02, Jazzy1125 said:

Think of the junk food as the decline to surgery. And how long you have been waiting for this day. 10 pounds from what you have done is the final leg of the race. I would recommend doing a liquid diet for the next week or something as 10 pounds in a week is a lot to accomplish with food.< br />

Thank you so much!

On 12/10/2018 at 07:40, Lucas said:

Awesome advice 👍🏻