Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretched Pouch....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

So today I went for my 4th fill and what do I find out.....my pouch has stretched. I kept wondering why I was able to eat like I once used to. I was banded on May 25th and had 3 fills prior to today, but my October fill was a complete and utter joke. She gave me .2 cc. I'm really afraid at this point as I don't want to have to undergo another surgery which is quite possible according to the nurse. Can anyone offer any advice on what to do with a stretched pouch. How can i get it back to it's "normal" size.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

I thought the way they treated a stretched pouch is to completely unfill and allow the stomach to re-settle.

Thats what I figured or at least go on liquids for a bit to give it a rest.

I thought the way they treated a stretched pouch is to completely unfill and allow the stomach to re-settle.

Hi Jachut: They did in fact do a complete unfill. I will remain with an unfilled band for a month. I go back for a fill on Dec. 19th at which time they will try to fill me again in hopes that it the stomach has gone down. Has this happened to anyone else? I was wondering what are the odds of the pouch going back to normal. I was thinking of starting the South Beach diet with a friend in hopes I can maintain my weight loss and hopefully my pouch will go back to normal. Any other ideas on how the pouch can go back to it's original state?

Thanks!

How did they find out? What kind of tests did they run?

Hi Voondahbah: They were able to determine my stretched pouch when I went in for a fill under flouro. Needless to say, I was TERRIFIED when she told me that. I was like, what the hell!!!! My past 3 fills were all very small considering I have the large AP band. I believe my band holds 10 cc or 14 cc, I was holding 3 cc.'s IF that much. Mind you, I've been banded for almost 6 months now so 3 cc's wasn't giving me any restriction which prompted the 4th fill. Go in for the 4th fill and this is what I get. I'm hoping this can be reversed but I need to know how? If anyone can help, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm terrified that i will have to go through another surgery for a fix. :help:

Get yourself on liquids and start measuring what you are eating. Pretend you are back on your post op diet. Did the doctor's office send you home with any kind of advice? Follow that.

Did you start eating solids too soon after surgery? If so that is the only reason I am aware of the pouch would have to be surgically corrected. Otherwise the standard treatment is to unfill you and you go on liquids for about 3 weeks. It can and should go back into normal position but not without the liquids. Solids keep food in your pouch and don't allow it to go back into normal position nearly as easily.

If you ate solids too soon after surgery it can potentially push your pouch down and when the adhesions form it holds your pouch in a dilated (or stretched) position. Correction would be to surgically remove the adhesions, put your pouch in the right position, go back on the post op diet and let adhesions form with a normal pouch.

It's more likely that it's just dilated and an unfill and liquids for a few weeks is what is standard.

Has your band surgeon done many bands?

You should be on liquids for a few weeks, right?

The APL band holds 14cc's.

I'd be surprised if you only have 3cc's in it after 3 fills. Some doctors are even placing the AP bands with a small fill in them already - usually around 3cc's.

Good luck

there is only one fix for a stretched pouch, and that is surgery. I stetched mine out to the point it cause a prolapse ( part of the stomach comes up over the band.) I had surgery last week to fix mine. It was just like my orginal band surgery and you start back from square 1.

there is only one fix for a stretched pouch, and that is surgery. I stetched mine out to the point it cause a prolapse ( part of the stomach comes up over the band.) I had surgery last week to fix mine. It was just like my orginal band surgery and you start back from square 1.

This is not correct. For something as extended as your case, yes. But for the majority of dilated pouches an unfill and liquids for a period of time take care of the problem quite well.

Check with a valid surgeon within the US. If the pouch has stretched out, pulling all the liquids out and a liquid diet do not always work. It depends on how long the pouch has been stretched out. Scar tissue forms the longer it is stetched and then surgery is the only way to correct it. I tried pulling all the liquid out of my band and a liquid diet for 4 weeks. It did not work. Check with your doctor for the best result. They will be able to tell on the x-ray when you do the fill. Good luck.

Check with a valid surgeon within the US. If the pouch has stretched out, pulling all the liquids out and a liquid diet do not always work. It depends on how long the pouch has been stretched out. Scar tissue forms the longer it is stetched and then surgery is the only way to correct it. I tried pulling all the liquid out of my band and a liquid diet for 4 weeks. It did not work. Check with your doctor for the best result. They will be able to tell on the x-ray when you do the fill. Good luck.

Pssst.... there are valid surgeons all over the world. They do not just exist in the US. The technique used to put your band into place was created by (gasp) Mexican surgeons.

Nobody claimed removing the Fluid from the band works every time. It is the treatment of choice a majority of the time. You never want to jump to surgery as a first option, surgery is always a last option.

I have nothing to add also except hang in there. I've been very frustrated with my band as well. It seems to come with the territory. Good luck with liquids.