Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removal Advice

Hello all, I was admitted for having issues with my band last night. They observed me, ran CT,xray,took labs,gave me fluids. Discharged me this afternoon. My op date was in 2012. Had all Fluid removed 2014. I've been having issues and scheduled to see a surgeon on 12/14 to discuss having the band removed. GERD, chest pains and a little pain when I try to drink liquids. Went to ER 3 times in 3 weeks. They ran all kinds of labs to check my heart, amongst other things. Yet they said all was good.

I'm just hoping for a quick surgery date. Any advice or anyone care to share their experience. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you

What issues were you having that they decided to admit you?

Hello. I had my band removed nov 14 as I was converted to sleeve. I had about two years smooth sailing and got to my goal weight. After two years it apparently slipped. Every time I ate my chest tightened up I started to sweat and felt I’ll. They removed all Fluid and I got s bit of relief and stop vomiting at least. I’m still perplexed how it went from being amazing to bad for me. It helped me so much and was upsetting. I did have the option to have doctor go in and fix it but he said it could possibly slip again and I have same issues and suggested I converted to sleeve. I was apprehensive about it. But, he made valid points and he removed it same day as sleeve. I do not know for sure if it was my weight lifting putting too much pressure or a bad cold I was coughing heavily but for me unfortunately it moved and out a world of hurt on me. I preserved for two years in discomfort pain every time I ate or drank. All I can say if you are having issues have it removed now because it does not get better. Are you at your goal weight and maintaining?

4 hours ago, Happy Sleever said:

Hello. I had my band removed nov 14 as I was converted to sleeve. I had about two years smooth sailing and got to my goal weight. After two years it apparently slipped. Every time I ate my chest tightened up I started to sweat and felt I’ll. They removed all Fluid and I got s bit of relief and stop vomiting at least. I’m still perplexed how it went from being amazing to bad for me. It helped me so much and was upsetting. I did have the option to have doctor go in and fix it but he said it could possibly slip again and I have same issues and suggested I converted to sleeve. I was apprehensive about it. But, he made valid points and he removed it same day as sleeve. I do not know for sure if it was my weight lifting putting too much pressure or a bad cold I was coughing heavily but for me unfortunately it moved and out a world of hurt on me. I preserved for two years in discomfort pain every time I ate or drank. All I can say if you are having issues have it removed now because it does not get better. Are you at your goal weight and maintaining?

Hi. Thank you for replying. I'm sorry to hear about the pain you had to endure. But I'm glad you're ok now.

I gained about 40lbs back. So my plan is to have it removed. I just hope that the surgeons grant me this change sooner than later.

Got my band in 2012, lost 90 pounds. Band slipped in 2014, had repositioning surgery. Never able to get properly filled after. Slowly gained 30 pounds. Saw surgeon I. July 2018, got Fluid removed, and asked for ins approval for band removal and sleeve. Both were approved. Here is the key: my surgeon does not do band removal and sleeve in same surgery - some surgeons do; mine doesn’t. My surgeon gives the stomach at least 3 months to heal after band removal. However, it is important to seek removal of band and conversion to sleeve both before band removal (even if being done in separate surgeries). Done that way, you don’t have to meet the BMI or 6 month supervised weight loss - approved for both due to band failure. If you see approval for another WLS after the band is removed, you have to go thru all of the requirements I order to get ins coverage (BMI, supervised diet, etc). If you have any questions, lindstrom obesity advocacy is an amazing resource: www.wlsappeals.com. Good luck!

Band removed 8/28, sleeve next month

I did, about 8 pounds

That’s not too bad. I’m very anxious about weight gain. Glad you’re doing ok!

On 12/02/2018 at 11:57, Jendkopp said:

Band removed 8/28, sleeve next month
What was the process for waiting for sleeve? Endoscopy to confirm stomach was healed before sleeve surgery?

There was no confirmation. I think most doctors assume three month is long enough to heal if there are no symptoms