Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm whining about large pouch

Hi friends,

I know we're all on our own "journey" (ugh hate that word) and that everyone's body is different etcetc. I'm lucky that so far, two weeks out, I've had no issues, no rejection of food or liquid, easily getting in my Protein and liquid goals.

My complaint is that I'm jealous of everyone who gets full after like three bites. I see all these photos of people like "here's what's left after I finished!" [cut to picture of full plate of food] and I'm jealous and a bit concerned because at two weeks out, I can easily eat a 5oz greek yogurt with a side of an ounce of cheese or two large eggs with cheese and not be uncomfortable. As in, I could probably eat more. So basically I just had surgery and I feel like I don't even have any restriction.

Again, yes, I know solids may be a bit different, or that my reaction to food may adjust, or that perhaps I'm even lucky because I can tolerate everything so well. But I've tried some semi-solid foods and it's no different thus far.

But also, this is a huge surgery of which a major component is supposed to be that it physically stops you from eating regular portions. I feel like I got robbed on that front. At my checkup, my surgeon was all "yeah, well, you still have to watch portions." Yeah ok, but it seems unfair that I have to watch them in the first year, let alone in the first month.

Also yes I'm losing weight and no I'm not starving.

I'm just whiny. That's what this section is for, right?

I'm in the same boat. I feel like my pouch is too large and that I can take in much more than I should be able to and I'm terrified about it, actually. No real issues with restriction or intolerances.

I'm short-ish (5'5") but all my height is in my torso, so I feel like I have extra room in there for my stomach to expand or something. This is the first time I've "said it out loud"... I'm disappointed and I'm scared it isn't going to work.

8 minutes ago, KT1981 said:

I'm in the same boat. I feel like my pouch is too large and that I can take in much more than I should be able to and I'm terrified about it, actually. No real issues with restriction or intolerances.

I'm short-ish (5'5") but all my height is in my torso, so I feel like I have extra room in there for my stomach to expand or something. This is the first time I've "said it out loud"... I'm disappointed and I'm scared it isn't going to work.

Sorry you're freaked too!

I'm not super scared, just feel like this means we have to work harder and do all the Portion Control that others don't have to. For me at least, I notice if I eat the smaller amount, I'm not hungry afterwards, but there's no cue to stop eating unless I measure it out beforehand. Same for you?

For what it's worth, I have a feeling we'll both still be very successful. I don't think this is any indication it won't work, because whatever metabolic changes needed to happen still happened.

But it still sucks. :)

Edited by linlew
typo

2 minutes ago, linlew said:

Sorry you're freaked too!

I'm not super scared, just feel like this means we have to work harder and do all the Portion Control that others don't have to. For me at least, I notice if I eat the smaller amount, I'm not hungry afterwards, but there's no cue to stop eating unless I measure it out beforehand. Same for you?

For what it's worth, I have a feeling we'll both still be very successful. I don't think this is any indication it won't work, because whatever metabolic changes needed to happen still happened.

But it still sucks. :)

Your sensible answer made me feel better. You're right- the physical surgery did create necessary metabolic change, I just may have to work a little harder than others to pay attention to what I'm doing.

Yes, if I don't measure, I won't stop when I'm expected to because I don't really feel a restriction. But as long as I can measure, I have the opportunity to keep losing!

Yes KT! Also I'm watching a bunch of stuff about it and thinking that as I progress through foods, perhaps if my capacity continues/grows, I'll just fill that with veggies but not increase protein/fat sources much. I don't need more than an ounce of cheese in one sitting, for instance, so I can roast up some broccoli or something.

One thing I'm actually thankful for, and hope sticks, is how much the pre-op diet and restrictions since surgery have inspired me to cook. I rarely cooked before. Now I'm like "what yummy thing can I make so I'm not just eating plain Beans? " and I'm getting amped.

Have you had meat yet? The first couple of weeks after surgery I thought I had no restriction. I could eat yogurt, cottage cheese, etc with no problem. But once I tried chicken (small bite - with fat free gravy - chewed well) I realized I DO have restriction - and quite a bit to be honest! It may not be the same for you - but just a thought! Good luck!!

Have you had meat yet? The first couple of weeks after surgery I thought I had no restriction. I could eat yogurt, cottage cheese, etc with no problem. But once I tried chicken (small bite - with fat free gravy - chewed well) I realized I DO have restriction - and quite a bit to be honest! It may not be the same for you - but just a thought! Good luck!!
Yes, absolutely! If I eat Protein like chicken or beef first I feel full almost immediately. I'm 1 yr and 4 months out. Still feeling full quickly but I still have to watch what I eat. I could not even eat cheese at 2 months out. I was forcing myself just to drink Protein Shakes. I think alot of hunger is actually a need for Water. I would try drinking first and if you're still hungry then try eating.

Sent from my N9560 using BariatricPal mobile app

First off, congrats on your surgeries!

Ok, next...both of you, stop. And breathe. Take deep breaths and step away from the ledge.

It's going to be ok...if you tread carefully. OK?

About 2 weeks ago, you had surgery. They SERIOUSLY jacked with your nerves, and your tummy is NOT fully communicating with your brain right now. So even if you "could" feel the same sensation of fullness--you really "can't". And sadly, most of us will never experience "fullness" feelings like we did pre-op. The fullness feelings manifest in different and much less satisfying ways now post-surg. The sadness that comes from missing that is a head thing we have to work on in dealing with food relationships.

So what you're doing now, is you are chasing a feeling that you cannot have. Not now anyway. It's called "Chasing Fullness" and it "can" be a pouch killer! Cuz it will cause you to overeat--once in a while/no prob--people screw up. But do it often enough or chronically and you will stretch out your stoma and possibly stretch out your new anatomy--not to mention that you will undo your hard work of conditioning your brain and habits to expect less food.

The feeling of fullness may come back with time--in some derivation. Mine did. But it was several months (like month 4) before I started feeling satiety. And also, it came with eating very dense, solid foods. Very. DENSE. Solid. Proteins. Al Dente Veggies. SOLID. LOL. Ok? I still don't feel any restriction with things like salads, and snack foods, or soft foods like yogurt and stuff.

So here is what you are eating right now in your current stages:

Yogurt: Counts as liquid on my post op plan and is a slider food. It causes very little feelings of fullness for a lot of people.

The Cheese--could be an issue -- so don't overdo it. It could constipate you. Some feel fullness from it, others don't. But it's easy to overeat it and the calories rack up QUICKLY. In the early weight loss months, calories are king. Seriously!

eggs, depending on how hard you cook them, could either be slidery or might be just fine! Some have issues/some have satiety from them. Some don't. For me it depends on HOW you cook them. Scramble, fry, soft fry, soft boil--slider. Hard boil, eat by themselves--very filling.

And so the moral of this story is, "Just because you CAN eat more, doesn't mean you SHOULD eat more." LOL. Especially right now in your present stage. Eat ONLY what your doc prescribes for quantities. Eat ONLY the meals he tells you to eat. Do not eat anything else. There WILL be hunger--even starvin' marvin' days. When that happens, drink a glass of Water and get busy doing something else. Seriously. We will still experience hunger. But hunger doesn't constitute an emergency any more. And I've learned that most of my inappropriate hunger is caused by dehydration.

Good luck. You'll figure things out. Just always remember to breathe! ((hugs))

Edited by FluffyChix

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

First off, congrats on your surgeries!

Ok, next...both of you, stop. And breathe. Take deep breaths and step away from the ledge.

It's going to be ok...if you tread carefully. OK?

About 2 weeks ago, you had surgery. They SERIOUSLY jacked with your nerves, and your tummy is NOT fully communicating with your brain right now. So even if you "could" feel the same sensation of fullness--you really "can't". And sadly, most of us will never experience "fullness" feelings like we did pre-op. The fullness feelings manifest in different and much less satisfying ways now post-surg. The sadness that comes from missing that is a head thing we have to work on in dealing with food relationships.

And so the moral of this story is, "Just because you CAN eat more, doesn't mean you SHOULD eat more." LOL. Especially right now in your present stage. Eat ONLY what your doc prescribes for quantities. Eat ONLY the meals he tells you to eat. Do not eat anything else. There WILL be hunger--even starvin' marvin' days. When that happens, drink a glass of Water and get busy doing something else. Seriously. We will still experience hunger. But hunger doesn't constitute an emergency any more. And I've learned that most of my inappropriate hunger is caused by dehydration.

Good luck. You'll figure things out. Just always remember to breathe! ((hugs))

Thanks for your reply, Fluffy!! Understood on all counts. As I mentioned in my reply to KT above, I'm not actually freaking out; more just jealous/annoyed. You know...ranting. :) . I know things will work and I've always understood it'll be my job, not the pouch's, to not eat like an a**hole. ;)

Thanks for the helpful explanation around the "fullness" feeling though. It's a hard thing to articulate, and it's good to hear it from a vet.

I've also been a vegetarian for 9 years, so moving to solids seems like it'll be less of a transition for some reason. Although, I've been debating moving back to eating meat, because while definitely possible, eating whole foods as a veggie and hitting goals seems harder than if I incorporate some meat back in. Just something I'm thinking about.

9 minutes ago, linlew said:

Thanks for your reply, Fluffy!! Understood on all counts. As I mentioned in my reply to KT above, I'm not actually freaking out; more just jealous/annoyed. You know...ranting. :) . I know things will work and I've always understood it'll be my job, not the pouch's, to not eat like an a**hole. ;)

Thanks for the helpful explanation around the "fullness" feeling though. It's a hard thing to articulate, and it's good to hear it from a vet.

I've also been a vegetarian for 9 years, so moving to solids seems like it'll be less of a transition for some reason. Although, I've been debating moving back to eating meat, because while definitely possible, eating whole foods as a veggie and hitting goals seems harder than if I incorporate some meat back in. Just something I'm thinking about.

Yeah I totally get it! I still feel jealous of all my friends here with much better restriction than me. Lol!! But like you said we just have to be diligent and apply good practices like eating dense Protein first and the eating lots of low glycemic veggies.

21 hours ago, linlew said:

My complaint is that I'm jealous of everyone who gets full after like three bites.

No envy here. That's how different people are.

I see all these photos of people like "here's what's left after I finished!" [cut to picture of full plate of food] and I'm jealous and a bit concerned because at two weeks out, I can easily eat a 5oz greek yogurt with a side of an ounce of cheese or two large eggs with cheese and not be uncomfortable. As in, I could probably eat more. So basically I just had surgery and I feel like I don't even have any restriction.

Just an observation but in the hospital it seemed to me that the "bypass people" could eat and drink more and better from the beginning on compared to the "sleeve people".

As for restriction: how much did you eat before surgery compare to now?

3 hours ago, linlew said:

I've also been a vegetarian for 9 years, so moving to solids seems like it'll be less of a transition for some reason. Although, I've been debating moving back to eating meat, because while definitely possible, eating whole foods as a veggie and hitting goals seems harder than if I incorporate some meat back in.

There are quite a few vegetarians and vegans on this board. Maybe you want to check out the veg threads? :)

3 hours ago, summerset said:

There are quite a few vegetarians and vegans on this board. Maybe you want to check out the veg threads? :)

I've definitely followed those, and have been obsessively researching. Just looking at overall what might be best for me and my health. No firm decisions made and the lovely thing is, I can always adjust accordingly.

To your earlier question, yes, I'm eating less than before of course. I recognize that. Again, I'm not Stuart Little-ing here. I know the sky isn't falling and this won't be a failure. Was just ranting about how it seems like some peoples' surgery was much more aggressive in stopping them from eating much at all.