Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not full and very hungry

Hello. I had mine past Wednesday the 14 Th. I’ve started from the time I woke up drinking propel and chicken broth every 15 mins. after four hours of that I get very full. Protein Shakes I’m totally turned off to as well. On Day 3 my doctor wanted me on strained Soups and Fag yogurt. Omg the Fag Greek yogurt with scoop Protein Powder a bit soy milk mix all up put in two oz Dixie cups and sip one every 15. mins. The thought of Protein shakes anymore makes me nauseas. Light cream of chicken Soup with 4 eggs blended well and cooked on sauce pan then put into two inch Dixie cups. Taste like egg drop soup lol. And in between all this I drink 48 oz a day. So basically from 9 in the Morning until evening every 15 mins food or Water I’m intaking. Good luck.

Have you tried different types of Protein powders? I didn't like the chocolate/vanilla ones very much (I do drink them, though), but I found that Syntrax Nectar offers some tasty ones. I like the Roadside Lemonade and Fuzzy Navel. They do get a bit foamy when you first mix them, but that goes down if you wait. I find that both need to be iced to taste good. Good luck. Synrax sells a trial pack, if you want to try them.

Edited by notmyname

I am day 12. I understand how you feel Fluffy.
The Protein Shakes i have taste awful too. I do keep up with what i am allowed to eat. But i am so tired of liquid food.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, :::fluffy::: said:

I am going to suck it up yall... I want to succeed... I feel malnourished lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome! Congrats on surgery.

I look on this time as a right of passage. There is no where to go but onward through the fog. You know? So like you just said, you just gotta get through this time and on to better days -- which DO come. Swear!

And you feel malnourished, cuz you are hon! You don't have to like it. You just have to figure out a way to do it. Whatever that way is...hot Protein, cold protein, luke warm/room temp protein, hidden in Soups, protein powder, or real thinned down sources of protein, hidden eggs, baby food thinned down into soups--whatever it takes to get to your 60g of protein per day + 64oz of liquids (that do include ALL liquids even Protein Drinks, but not really soups so much). The more Water you can get down your gob, the better you will feel and the faster you will heal!

Hang in there, you will feel fullness soon--when you're eating real food.

3 hours ago, :::fluffy::: said:

I am going to suck it up yall... I want to succeed... I feel malnourished lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Broths, teas and warm drinks help considerably!

My girl friend had the vsg back in Sept and felt same way. She found Protein Water drinks that worked better for her.

I had the Rny 9 days ago and don't mind the premiere Protein Shakes. Thay make me real thirsty so I alternate drinking a little shake and then drinking some water.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Your hunger could be dehydration. Make sure you're sipping at least 64 oz of Water a day. At this point (1 week post-op), hydration is more important than food or Protein.

Another thing that could cause you to think you’re hungry is reflux. Are you taking a PPI? Most bariatric surgeons have their patients take PPIs for 3, 6, or 12 months after WLS.

It could also just be head hunger instead of real hunger. Did you detox off of simple carbs and caffeine well in advance of surgery? If not, you could be going through detox and craving the unhealthy food you may have eaten prior to WLS.

And you may not feel fullness or restriction while the nerves that were cut during surgery are still healing. So don’t eat until you’re “full”; instead, measure your food so you don’t overeat.

Good luck - you can do this!

Food for thought: Hunger is not an emergency

Edited by MarinaGirl

Somewhere on here are my desperate threads lamenting my endless starvation post-op during that first week. That changed when I got to move to purees. Having liquids only is not satisfying - it goes through your tiny pouch so quickly! It was bad for me, because I have an ulcer and was forcibly dehydrated. I am almost 3 weeks out now and still dealing with dehydration and not even close to my Protein goals (which they said don't worry about now)... and even I get satisfied with the purees/soft foods. I say satisfied because if you're eating until you are full feeling, you're eating too much.

Hi there, I am almost a month after bypass surgery, started more or less eating all food, never been on Protein Shakes just baby food and yoghurts like skyr with more proteins... sometimes i do feel hungry, sometimes I don’t... I did have complications with internal bleeding a few days after I came back home so now have few stuff low down, I obviously suffered with high blood pressure before my surgery now I am 22kg lighter and my blood pressure is good but pulse is very low for whatever reason... anyway It is all very new and strange... even though I am trying already most of “normal” food it feels strange when noone knows or understands so hopefully I can find someone who had op at similar time or before me?)