Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you know you had a stricture? I’m almost two months out. Struggling to keep anything solid down. If I drink coffee before or after I eat I do good. It’s like the heat helps everything go down.

Interesting about the hot coffee. I remember way back when I first got banded that there were a number of people that needed a warm drink before eating as it seemed to relax their band enough for them to be able to eat. I wonder if this is something similar

1 minute ago, elcee said:

Interesting about the hot coffee. I remember way back when I first got banded that there were a number of people that needed a warm drink before eating as it seemed to relax their band enough for them to be able to eat. I wonder if this is something similar

I had my band for 6 years and converted to RNY. When I eat it’s almost painful. Like I’m not sure my food is going to go down. I wait 30 minutes and drink something warm. When I do it’s fine.

Hope I'm wrong, but if I'm right, welcome to Club Stricture, I'm Frustr8, designated DoorKeeper, We are Exclusive, very few pass through HERE!

I had two strictures - one at four weeks out, the other at eight weeks out. The second time around I was familiar with the symptoms, so I knew what it was. Basically, at first I had what felt like acid reflux after eating. A few days later, I couldn't keep anything solid down. As it progresses, you can't really keep liquids down, either - but at that point you really need to get it dealt with immediately because you can't go for long without fluids (I went in after a couple of days of not being able to keep solid food down, so I never reached the emergency point). I would contact your surgeon's office. They'll probably have you go in for an upper endoscopy to see what's up. If it's a stricture, it's an easy fix - they'll stretch it out when they have you under, and you'll feel a LOT better once you wake up. It's quick and painless.

And if the first doesn't work, you can join me, I have been there every 2 weeks, October 12, October 26, November 9th and probably November 23rd. Endoscopy nurses starting to recognize me, Dr Noria my endoscopist/surgeon calls me by my name instead of patient #. and it is approaching "Whatever" status. Almost to the state of one of my smart-*** gynecologists, walked into the examination room, pulled on a pair of gloves and announced "Assume The Position"! My body like like a well- schooled pancake turns automatically to the left side when I get wheeled in. If I didn't have an IV in , they might suggest I walk down the hall and around the corner in the Endoscopy/Hepatology Lab. After all I know the way by now, this time they did put me out, 2nd time since I am a Red-head, yes nosy a natural one, they miss-judged the amount of sedation I would require, and I was wide-awake conscious for it all, didn't feel the scope down because of throat- numbing spray but felt all the rest, not as bad as you might think, saved me pulling it,up on YOUTUBE, but I kinda asked this time because of other stressors in my life to go sleepy-bye and it was VERY NICE, So I am now DoorKeeper/ Bouncer at club Stricture, a very exclusive place, very few pass through.😝

I think i have an ulcer and stricture now too. Im having a hard time with finding clear symptoms of a stricture though. I am 11 months post op and would like to gain weight now ive lost too much muscle and weight. But any solids i eat the past 2 weeks sit in me feelibg stuck in my throay until i have to make myself throw up, foamy saliva chewed food. Liquids are fine.

call your surgeon for sure. Strictures, when they occur, almost always occur during the first three months after surgery. They're pretty rare after that. I mean, it COULD be that, but....

Thank you all for the replies! Today has been a okay food day. I just have to drink something hot before eating it’s almost as if I still have the band. Calling my doctor first thing tomorrow morning.

Called first thing this morning and spoke with the dietician at the office. She kind of brushed it off. Said I was obviously not chewing my food well enough. I explained that I chewed everything to puree consistency and that I was sticking to my meal plan. She then said she would talk with my doctor and ask him to call me.

He called this evening and said he was going to schedule me for a scope. He told me to stick to liquids this week until I can have the scope done. : )

I guess I'm the exception to strictures happening soon after surgery. I'm 32 yrs post stomach stapling (that's what it was called) and I've been puking non stop since June/July. Finally got scoped in early Sept. and I have a stricture (closed right up, they had difficulty getting the scope thru it). I've had 2 dilations without success and I had the bonus of ending up in the hospital for a week after each one as my bowel went into illius. I was scoped a third time (to see if it worked) and it has closed back up again. I'm seeing a cardiothoracic surgeon a week from today. Anyone had this kind of experience and what did they do to rectify it. I'd rather not have it redone but I can't go on only on liquids (and they don't always work) forever. I'm losing weight and getting weaker by the day.

8 hours ago, Mike91730 said:

I guess I'm the exception to strictures happening soon after surgery. I'm 32 yrs post stomach stapling (that's what it was called) and I've been puking non stop since June/July. Finally got scoped in early Sept. and I have a stricture (closed right up, they had difficulty getting the scope thru it). I've had 2 dilations without success and I had the bonus of ending up in the hospital for a week after each one as my bowel went into illius. I was scoped a third time (to see if it worked) and it has closed back up again. I'm seeing a cardiothoracic surgeon a week from today. Anyone had this kind of experience and what did they do to rectify it. I'd rather not have it redone but I can't go on only on liquids (and they don't always work) forever. I'm losing weight and getting weaker by the day.

that's an older surgery that isn't done anymore, so all bets are off re: strictures. I was only referring to strictures in modern surgeries (i.e., they almost always happen within the first three months post-op). I have no idea of their frequency in the older ones. So sorry that you're going through this!

On 11/11/2018 at 12:31 PM, Brttnyj89 said:

Thank you all for the replies! Today has been a okay food day. I just have to drink something hot before eating it’s almost as if I still have the band. Calling my doctor first thing tomorrow morning.

Sometimes I feel like I have the band still also. I wonder if it has something to do with the scar tissue

Sounds probable to me,if not actual maybe the areas whose nerves were pinched?

Do those gastric nerves regenerate after a band removal or does it go Really Slow?