Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had to stop taking my GERD medication in prep for the H Pylorie breath test. So I stopped taking the meds and have had terrible reflux. I am in pain with eating almost anything and I still have a few days to go. I need to get back on the medication ASAP.

My surgeon said to stop taking the GERD meds for 14 days before the test. If I take the test this Friday it will only be day #13. I can wait until Monday (lab is not open on the weekend) but I am so miserable and don't have any symptoms of H pylorie so I am expecting it to come back negative. Do you think day #13 will be fine. I am dreading waiting an extra few days.

So here's my concern. I read on line that you have to stop the mediation for 30 days so me thinking day #13 was good enough is worrying me that 14 days is already pushing an accurate test.

Also, the soonest insurance would approve me in January so if it is negative could I likely contract it between now and surgery or is it not that common?

6 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I had to stop taking my GERD medication in prep for the H Pylorie breath test. So I stopped taking the meds and have had terrible reflux. I am in pain with eating almost anything and I still have a few days to go. I need to get back on the medication ASAP.

My surgeon said to stop taking the GERD meds for 14 days before the test. If I take the test this Friday it will only be day #13. I can wait until Monday (lab is not open on the weekend) but I am so miserable and don't have any symptoms of H pylorie so I am expecting it to come back negative. Do you think day #13 will be fine. I am dreading waiting an extra few days.

So here's my concern. I read on line that you have to stop the mediation for 30 days so me thinking day #13 was good enough is worrying me that 14 days is already pushing an accurate test.

Also, the soonest insurance would approve me in January so if it is negative could I likely contract it between now and surgery or is it not that common?

Have you brought up your pain to your doctor?

Lots of people have it, but it doesn't cause symptoms. Why don't they have you bring in a stool sample? Would you still have to stop your GERD medicine then?

I tested positive for it and never recall having any specific symptoms until they were pointed out to me.

Also- can’t h pylori cause or contribute to GERD?

Does ulcers , GERD,not sure , don't know if anyone has done a study, but betcha@ Missouri- Lees Summit will, she does know her research !

Phone your Dr, explain the situation and see what advice he/she gives.

So it's Monday Morning, have you checked in with your surgeon and his office?

On 10/25/2018 at 11:41 AM, insta_adventurer said:

I tested positive for it and never recall having any specific symptoms until they were pointed out to me.

Also- can’t h pylori cause or contribute to GERD?

Yes, H Pylori can cause the same symptoms as GERD and in fact, the way she describes feeling after eating is exactly how I felt when I tested positive for H. Pylori. I had to find a balance between a completely empty stomach which also causes the H. Pylori to flare and a full stomach that caused a flare. It's a very miserable bacteria and takes a long time to get rid of it.

So I made it thru the weekend. It's crazy that I can't find a trigger for feeling bad. The doctor's office is hard to get to a nurse. The voicemail message even says they are busy due to trying to process patients and schedule them by the end of the year. I started back on my GERD meds and today was fine. As I was leaving the office I was thinking about how I had to fast for the blood tests but they had me drink this sweet drink for the H Pylorie test and then 5-10 minutes later drew the blood. I'm guessing that in those 5-10 min that my blood wasn't affected. I guess if it comes back with a high blood glucose then that could be the drink.

7 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

So I made it thru the weekend. It's crazy that I can't find a trigger for feeling bad. The doctor's office is hard to get to a nurse. The voicemail message even says they are busy due to trying to process patients and schedule them by the end of the year. I started back on my GERD meds and today was fine. As I was leaving the office I was thinking about how I had to fast for the blood tests but they had me drink this sweet drink for the H Pylorie test and then 5-10 minutes later drew the blood. I'm guessing that in those 5-10 min that my blood wasn't affected. I guess if it comes back with a high blood glucose then that could be the drink.

How did you feel after drinking the sweet drink? I could tell that my breath test was going to be positive because I felt like I was going to die. The pain was all the way up into my shoulders.

12 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

How did you feel after drinking the sweet drink? I could tell that my breath test was going to be positive because I felt like I was going to die. The pain was all the way up into my shoulders.

Not sick at all. I have no idea how long it takes to get the results.

My results came back in a couple days but i'd have to say that if you didn't feel like you were dying after the test it's probably negative lol.