Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Intake Questions

First off, this place has been amazing. I have learned so much just reading various threads. Heck had I not read about the 3-4 week stall - I might currently be regretting having the surgery. So thanks to everyone that participates. You all have helped me on so many new sleeved questions.

I have searched for this topic but couldn’t find my answers so I wanted to just ask. I am 3 weeks post op and find that I can drink Water normal now without pain of any kind. I am currently on purée foods and struggle when to know I have reached the full point. Usually I find out by having that one bite too many.

So my questions - 1) anyone able to drink normally at this point, it just sipping? I only drink water currently. 2) are there suggestions on how to NOT to take that extra bite?

Hopefully my questions made sense and I apologize in advance if I have overlooked the answers to my questions here on the forum.

HW 226
SW 206
CW 189

I’m 6 weeks post op and I can drink a lot of Water as well, no more sips for me YESSSSS I’m happy because I like water, it was about 3 weeks also when I realized I could drink gulps. I can’t drink 16 oz at one time like before but Hilo’s...As far as eating, try eating slower, put your utensil down between bites, after you swallow then have another bite and maybe you will notice, I was never a burper but now as soon as I get full I start to burp and I feel full.

I wish you all the best.

Gulps I meant

10 hours ago, CKWindsor said:

First off, this place has been amazing. I have learned so much just reading various threads. Heck had I not read about the 3-4 week stall - I might currently be regretting having the surgery. So thanks to everyone that participates. You all have helped me on so many new sleeved questions.

I have searched for this topic but couldn’t find my answers so I wanted to just ask. I am 3 weeks post op and find that I can drink Water normal now without pain of any kind. I am currently on purée foods and struggle when to know I have reached the full point. Usually I find out by having that one bite too many.

So my questions - 1) anyone able to drink normally at this point, it just sipping? I only drink Water currently. 2) are there suggestions on how to NOT to take that extra bite?

Hopefully my questions made sense and I apologize in advance if I have overlooked the answers to my questions here on the forum.

HW 226
SW 206
CW 189

Congrats on your surgery. Sounds as if you are doing well!

As your swelling goes down, it is expected that you will be able to drink normally. As Wanda said, not huge glassfuls at a time, but with normal swallowing amounts, not tiny sips. Once you get there, you're much less likely to get dehydrated. So yeah!

It takes a long time to retrain your brain to your new "appropriately-sized" meals. In the beginning, I only served myself 1/4 cup servings since that was the size of my new stomach. Wanda was correct about eating very slowly and stopping between bites. It just takes practice for you to recognize that "full" feeling. And it's not like the "full" you experienced before. It's a totally different sensation, at least for me. So be looking for something new, not for the old feeling you used to get. It's more like, "Am I still hungry or do I want another bite just because it tastes good?" It's almost more mental than physical.

Hope this helps!

I had my surgery in April and I still struggle eating too much until I get way too full. But like someone else said, I notice that I start hiccupping and burping when I'm full.. My nurse told me she did the same thing, so I knew to look for that.