Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me it gets better...

Hi everyone,

I had VSG on July 6th and I've felt sick ever since. I also had my gallbladder removed and hiatal hernia repair, as well as scar tissue removed from when I had the lap band (the band was removed in Feb. I stay nauseated. I don't have an appetite but I know I have to eat something, and when I do eat I just get extremely nauseated. I follow the doctors orders on what to eat at the different stages but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm not getting my fluids or Protein in that they want cause I stay sick. It's very frustrating. I really hope it's just part of the healing process but right now I'm just miserable. Did anyone else have this problem?? What did you do? Did anything help? Just need some encouragement right now cause this is really getting me down.

34 minutes ago, J_Mkay said:

Hi everyone,

I had VSG on July 6th and I've felt sick ever since. I also had my gallbladder removed and hiatal hernia repair, as well as scar tissue removed from when I had the lap band (the band was removed in Feb. I stay nauseated. I don't have an appetite but I know I have to eat something, and when I do eat I just get extremely nauseated. I follow the doctors orders on what to eat at the different stages but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm not getting my fluids or Protein in that they want cause I stay sick. It's very frustrating. I really hope it's just part of the healing process but right now I'm just miserable. Did anyone else have this problem?? What did you do? Did anything help? Just need some encouragement right now cause this is really getting me down.

Try different temp or flavored items. You are still healing, and the revision from band to sleeve is a tough one because of the added scar tissue from the band going right through the stapleline for the sleeve. In fact, my surgeon refuses to do band to sleeve revisions because of the added issues and complications caused because of the scars the band leaves. It does get better.

41 minutes ago, J_Mkay said:

Hi everyone,

It gets better...

Have you discussed your situation with your doctor? If I were feeling sick all the time, I'd be in the phone pronto with the doctor's office. There are many things that can cause nausea and most times it is easy to fix. It could also be an indication that something is wrong and you need to be seen. Please do not wait to contact your doctor...

This still could be acid reflux, or a slight stricture - you are still healing. Are you taking a PPI, ask your doc.You can also ask for an anti-nausea patch like scopolamine, doesn't hurt to ask.

Try warm or room temp items, or alternate w sf popsicles. The warm liquid relaxes the muscles. You had a lot of issues, hernia, scar tissue, etc - it will take longer than an uncomplicated surgery to heal and progress. Hang in there.

Hi, honestly you actually had 4 separate procedures.during the same surgery... Galbladder removal, hiatal hernia repair, scar tissue removal then... your VSG. So, I’m thinking your really swollen, inflamed... a lot to heal from dear... Sosewsue61 had some great advice about the anti- nausea meds/patch. I have one that melts on the tongue. Yes warm liquids will help..Also, go online and purchase Unjury medical grade Protein powder.. no taste., you can put it in your drink/ Water to get your protein. I’ve been adding powder Probiotics to my drink also The refrigerated 40 billion +kind..give it couple more days.. if it has not gotten better get to the Dr. If worse go immediately. Just to be on the safe side..hang in there.. Good Luck💐

Agree with what everyone else posted. Did your doc prescribe something for nausea? Mine gave me sublingual (dissolves under the tongue) Zofran that worked wonders. The healing time is the worst, it does get better. I turned a major corner around 8 weeks but I also didn't have all the procedures you did. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for all the encouragement. I've had phenergan and zofran since surgery and it helps some but not enough. I finally went to the doctor yesterday. They gave me more anti-nauesa medication and I'm having an upper gi next week. They said that I shouldn't be having nausea this far out. They also did lab work. I'm hoping they can figure it out. I've felt pretty good the past 2 days with mild bouts of nausea but a bit better than before. It's just a struggle to get the Protein in when you're nauseated most of the time. I just finished a Protein Drink and am currently nauseated but I took my zofran so hopefully that'll kick in soon. Thanks again for the encouragement. It's been a struggle but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Just gotta get through this bump in the road.

Have you tried switching to plant based Protein? Pea based protein is the only thing that works for me. Otherwise I am nauseous and/or have diarrhea.

22 hours ago, Screwballski said:

Have you tried switching to plant based Protein? Pea based Protein is the only thing that works for me. Otherwise I am nauseous and/or have diarrhea.

I haven't yet but I'm going to order some if the lactose free one that I ordered doesn't help. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

🏆Don't Worry! Something is gonna work out!