Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my final attempt

So tomorrow morning (08/06) I'll start my final attempt at getting WLS done. I haven't told many people this time around (third overall) just my mom, grandmother, and my best friend. I'm super nervous that I'm going to sabotage myself again but I keep trying to tell myself that this is the best thing to do for myself. I work in surgery, bariatrics to be specific, and I know exactly what is done and why they are done. I know the instruments and every moment of the procedure like the back of my hand but I am a nervous wreck. I know if I get approval I can't back pedal this time like the ones before and I know I'll be fine the day of the procedure but this initial meeting is making me emotional and anxious as all get out. Any words of encouragement to help me through the night?

Sent from my SM-S906L using BariatricPal mobile app

Look you know more than the others here that you will be okay. You have knowledge that the rest of us assumed we knew before our surgery, so be confident in your decision. You are worth this effort and journey. Health reasons forced me to look at this surgery and once I made my decision I never looked back, but yes I had doubts about how my life would change and so did my wife. The 6 months before my surgery we had some trying times, but it is all worth it! I do not know your history, but as you know health issues resolve with this surgery. It is not the easy way out, but so worth it. Please go forward and give yourself a longer more full life.

I guess I'm confused by your situation - you are just starting the process to get wls? Like in the seminar/initial appointment with the surgeon's office? But it is your 3rd attempt? You backed out twice, or where denied approval or something? Backed out at what point and why?

I was 'hot damn excited' to go to my 1st appointment because I CHOSE to get surgery. I was nervous to jump through all the hoops for 6 months, and nervous about the actual surgery a bit.

You CAN DO THIS. You want to do this or you wouldn't be making this third attempt. Get on the horse and ride into town woman!!! Go girl go!

Look you know more than the others here that you will be okay. You have knowledge that the rest of us assumed we knew before our surgery, so be confident in your decision. You are worth this effort and journey. Health reasons forced me to look at this surgery and once I made my decision I never looked back, but yes I had doubts about how my life would change and so did my wife. The 6 months before my surgery we had some trying times, but it is all worth it! I do not know your history, but as you know health issues resolve with this surgery. It is not the easy way out, but so worth it. Please go forward and give yourself a longer more full life.
Thank you for your kind words. I think I'm just letting my anxiety get the best of me. Just have to remind myself to breathe in and release it.

I guess I'm confused by your situation - you are just starting the process to get wls? Like in the seminar/initial appointment with the surgeon's office? But it is your 3rd attempt? You backed out twice, or where denied approval or something? Backed out at what point and why?
I was 'hot damn excited' to go to my 1st appointment because I CHOSE to get surgery. I was nervous to jump through all the hoops for 6 months, and nervous about the actual surgery a bit.
You CAN DO THIS. You want to do this or you wouldn't be making this third attempt. Get on the horse and ride into town woman!!! Go girl go!
Not starting the process at all, the first time I started the process I was 18 and so very not ready to commit to such an endeavor. Then in 2015 I went to one facility and made it all the way through their program but I was not as ready for this as I thought because I could not shake my smoking addiction. My approval expired last November and I took some time to re-evaluate why I started this journey and have recommitted myself to seeing this through one more time. I have since changed hospitals because I work daily with the surgeon who would have done my surgery last year and am not 100% comfortable with having my coworkers all up in my business.

I'm very excited to get this done and start a life where I am not obese and live one where I am healthy. Thanks for your encouragement, I think more than anything it's my anxiety trying to make me worry.

I assume you trust your new medical team and the hospital, so you are ahead of the rest of us who had to climb on the gurney with blind faith! You will be in good hands before, during, and after. You will be just fine. Keep us posted, OK?

I assume you trust your new medical team and the hospital, so you are ahead of the rest of us who had to climb on the gurney with blind faith! You will be in good hands before, during, and after. You will be just fine. Keep us posted, OK?
This appointment tomorrow will determine the amount of trust for the surgeon and staff. I changed facilities due to not wanting my coworkers having to be all up in my body business, if you catch my drift. I think I would be more at ease with people I don't work with on a daily basis, so this venture will be one of blind faith for me as well.

I will definitely keep you up to date. It's nice to have people who know what's going on but I just can't go throwing the information around open in my personal relationships because of biases of the people around me. Last year when I had approval but couldn't get ahead of quitting smoking people were constantly asking me when I was having my surgery and I was left feeling like a failure because I couldn't control myself. Anyway, I'm rambling now but I wanted to say thank you for your response. [emoji16]

Look for people who are sincerely are interested YOUR success. Ifbtheu ask How they can make your weight loss journey smooth and uneventful that is an excellent choice. Are they,interested in how you tick, your hopes, your plans, your dreams for the future, you are not merely flesh surrounding a stomach, you are a PERSON.

Hmmn You were allowed to go to a different hospital/surgeon? One of my Bari-friends in Columbus works at Riverside Methodist Hospital. They require their employees do all their,procedures "in house" . If you do go to another local 🏣hospital, you had better have an air-tight excuse like "you were unconscious and,you next-of- kin signed you in there and you.left as soon as possible."🏣

12 hours ago, insideout2018 said:

It's nice to have people who know what's going on but I just can't go throwing the information around open in my personal relationships because of biases of the people

That's just one of many reasons this forum is a godsend for all of us. Here you can vent, get support, understanding, and even some tough love now and then. :-) You are not a failure. You recognized before when WLS was not the right thing for you at the time, so you paid attention to your intuition and best self. You've done a lot of work, and now you feel ready. Let NO ONE stand in your way. FORWARD!!

Hmmn You were allowed to go to a different hospital/surgeon? One of my Bari-friends in Columbus works at Riverside Methodist Hospital. They require their employees do all their,procedures "in house" . If you do go to another local [emoji540]hospital, you had better have an air-tight excuse like "you were unconscious and,you next-of- kin signed you in there and you.left as soon as possible."[emoji540]
Whew, lort. If my place of employment wants to dictate where I receive my services they can either provide them free of charge to me (as an employee) or pay me a hefty raise. I have also not told any of my coworkers nor my management team and when I request my time off for recovery only my department head will be on the need to know list. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

So my appointment went well, considering. I have to start the process now with the nutritional education class and have an EGD before moving forward. 90 days nicotine free is a requirement which I had my last cigarette today. So in the next 90 days I have a host of appointments and things to get in order. Yay.

So we might be looking at November for a surgery date? You are not the only one, somebody started a November 2018 forum thread. so there are at least one or two on Bariatric Pal. I'll look and see if I can find it in a minute. In the meantime, in between times you have all of us as friends. We have all kinds of people, gay, straight, bi- the world contains them- we are a small micro of the world .But each and everyone of us will try to help if we can. We have had our sorrows but we've had victories too. That's just how l8fe is.

Look for November. 2018 Sleevers, bari-pal Game Plan started it. I'll go post in it that will bring it out where you can see it, okay?