Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know everyone has them

I know everyone has plateaus. I am very concerned and upset because I was able to lose 38 pounds in the first 3 weeks following surgery. However, over the past 4 weeks I have not lost any weight or inches or part of an inch. I am still eating small amounts and totaling between 493 and 724 calories per day. Logically this doesn’t make sense, this is not enough to live on yet nothing is coming off. I am exercising and getting in my Protein and Water. I don’t know what to do. With the ordeal of surgery and recovery, to not lose any weight after week 3 is extremely disheartening.
The only change has been that I returned to work.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Happened to me.. I was stuck on 263 for 2+ weeks and the scale will fluctuate up and back to 263 despite solely eating Protein, shakes and working out. I honestly believe that the body is really smart and starts adjusting to the calorie deficiency some more than others this is why some people have to work twice as hard to lose. I finally broke my stall and I’m down to 258 my fear now is that I will again sit on that number for another week or two. I know this isn’t a marathon but I just have way too much weight to lose and I deprive myself way too much to be losing at the speed of the average joe even after a surgery. Hope you break your stall soon. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply!
I am so sorry this is also happening to you also! I completely understand the worry too of being stopped again!
I know the surgery is a tool and not a miracle cure but it is so hard to be stalled for so long

I would say if you're working out then you may need to INCREASE your calories. Talk to your nutritionist - but if you're intake is only 500 calories and you work out - you are starving your body which means it will hold onto every single pound.

Another thing you didn't address is are you drinking enough Water? Water is what helps flush away the fat cells - my nutritionist insists on at least 64 ounces of water per day. I exceed that every day.

Stalls will happen. The body has undergone a traumatic event and it needs time to readjust, heal, and begin again. I know if i follow my program, the weight will come off. Not all at once, not fast - this is a lifetime change. I don't expect to hit my goal weight until 12-18 months post surgery.

Just keep doing the right thing every day. But do look into how many calories you should be consuming for the amount of work out you're doing. I think that may be a factor in the protracted stall.

Stalls definitely happen and it is defeating and depressing when they happen to you!

I was stalled for over three weeks and it finally broke. Keep doing the right things and you will push through it. Above poster may be correct if you are exercising heavily you may need more calories but it can be tough to get them in.

I eat mostly full fat dairy and such now to increase calories as portion sizes are so small. You may find some ways like that to add 100-200 calories in a day.

It is hard to stay positive through it, but it will pass.

My nutritionist told me at my first post op visit that a week three plateau is normal and not to stress it. I am actually in that third week now and am dealing with it now also. Some loss just much slower than it was the previous weeks. She did not tell me how long it lasts so perhaps that is the issue.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:50 PM, kdjWItoSC said:

I know everyone has plateaus. I am very concerned and upset because I was able to lose 38 pounds in the first 3 weeks following surgery. However, over the past 4 weeks I have not lost any weight or inches or part of an inch. I am still eating small amounts and totaling between 493 and 724 calories per day. Logically this doesn’t make sense, this is not enough to live on yet nothing is coming off. I am exercising and getting in my Protein and Water. I don’t know what to do. With the ordeal of surgery and recovery, to not lose any weight after week 3 is extremely disheartening.
The only change has been that I returned to work.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Hello, I am going through the same thing! I lost 20lbs the first two weeks and I have stalled since then, with an actual 5lb gain!!! I'm just trying to up my Water and Protein. I only get 500 to 800 calories, but I know when I hit closer to the 800 I feel much better. Maybe try to get to that especially with how much you work out. I'm just now adding working out back in. Good luck to you! You've got this, it just takes time. 38lbs is a lot in the first two weeks!!