Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I'm in the pre, pre-op diet phase, but trying to transition into the pre-op diet early. I made a parfait this morning for Breakfast that tastes awesome and is much healthier than my usual frozen breakfast burrito. I'm really trying to limit my carbs to between 25g & 40g and my sugars to near zero as I can. I used the following:

Dannon Light & Fit Greek Nonfat Yogurt, 1 container - 80 cal, 8g carbs, 6g sugars

Fresh strawberries, 100g - 33 cal, 8g carbs, 5.1g sugars

Fresh organic blueberries, 50g - 28 cal, 7.2 carbs, 5g sugars

and

Premier Protein, 11 fl. oz. - 160 cal, 5g carbs, 1g sugars

This gives me a breakfast that contains 302 carbs, 28g carbs, and 16.1g sugars, and a whopping 43 g of protein!

I wish the carbs and sugar were less since I plan to eat more of the fruit at lunch, but it is much much less than an apple or a Bartlet pear. And it tastes awesome (did I say that already?)!!!

IMG_9761.JPG

Edited by macadamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm in the pre, pre-op diet phase, but trying to transition into the pre-op diet early. I made a parfait this morning for Breakfast that tastes awesome and is much healthier than my usual frozen Breakfast burrito. I'm really trying to limit my carbs to between 25g & 40g and my sugars to near zero as I can. I used the following:
Dannon Light & Fit Greek Nonfat Yogurt, 1 container - 80 cal, 8g carbs, 6g sugars
Fresh strawberries, 100g - 33 cal, 8g carbs, 5.1g sugars
Fresh organic blueberries, 50g - 28 cal, 7.2 carbs, 5g sugars
and
Premier Protein, 11 fl. oz. - 160 cal, 5g carbs, 1g sugars
This gives me a breakfast that contains 302 carbs, 28g carbs, and 16.1g sugars, and a whopping 43 g of protein!
I wish the carbs and sugar were less since I plan to eat more of the fruit at lunch, but it is much much less than an apple or a Bartlet pear. And it tastes awesome (did I say that already?)!!!

IMG_9761.thumb.JPG.dea7e8a1434c0f107eef1614753390ea.JPG
Awesomesauce!

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and now it's gone... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks yummy! Keep sticking to low carb fruits. Well on your way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Looks yummy! Keep sticking to low carb fruits. Well on your way!

Thank you and I will! I think I may even cut back the strawberries to 50g. It was quite a bit to finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KCgirl061 said:

That looks great

it was... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks Delicious!!!! Wish I could eat something like that right now. Gotta stick to the liquids though so in a few months I will indulge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, macadamia said:

I'm in the pre, pre-op diet phase, but trying to transition into the pre-op diet early. I made a parfait this morning for Breakfast that tastes awesome and is much healthier than my usual frozen breakfast burrito. I'm really trying to limit my carbs to between 25g & 40g and my sugars to near zero as I can. I used the following:

Dannon Light & Fit Greek Nonfat Yogurt, 1 container - 80 cal, 8g carbs, 6g sugars

Fresh strawberries, 100g - 33 cal, 8g carbs, 5.1g sugars

Fresh organic blueberries, 50g - 28 cal, 7.2 carbs, 5g sugars

and

Premier Protein, 11 fl. oz. - 160 cal, 5g carbs, 1g sugars

This gives me a breakfast that contains 302 carbs, 28g carbs, and 16.1g sugars, and a whopping 43 g of protein!

I wish the carbs and sugar were less since I plan to eat more of the fruit at lunch, but it is much much less than an apple or a Bartlet pear. And it tastes awesome (did I say that already?)!!!

Our body processes natural sugars differently than other sugars. During my classes, we had to watch out for the added sugars, but were not required to count the natural sugars. So if I read an ingredient panel and it says "sugar" or Corn Syrup or any of the other added sugar names, then the grams per serving needed to be under 5g. If there was no added sugars, I don't need to worry about the sugar content. Like a Typical banana has 14 grams of sugar, I don't need to worry about those, kinda thing. It's really odd, but post surgery where I'm much more sensitive to sugars... I haven't had a single issue with even the most sugary of fruits. But if I go too far over 5g of added... and things start to get unpleasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Our body processes natural sugars differently than other sugars. During my classes, we had to watch out for the added sugars, but were not required to count the natural sugars. So if I read an ingredient panel and it says "sugar" or Corn Syrup or any of the other added sugar names, then the grams per serving needed to be under 5g. If there was no added sugars, I don't need to worry about the sugar content. Like a Typical banana has 14 grams of sugar, I don't need to worry about those, kinda thing. It's really odd, but post surgery where I'm much more sensitive to sugars... I haven't had a single issue with even the most sugary of fruits. But if I go too far over 5g of added... and things start to get unpleasant.

This is exactly the same for me. I can eat plenty of fruit, which we know has tons of natural sugar. It's the added sugar that makes me sick. I stick with the 5 gram rule as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Our body processes natural sugars differently than other sugars. During my classes, we had to watch out for the added sugars, but were not required to count the natural sugars. So if I read an ingredient panel and it says "sugar" or Corn Syrup or any of the other added sugar names, then the grams per serving needed to be under 5g. If there was no added sugars, I don't need to worry about the sugar content. Like a Typical banana has 14 grams of sugar, I don't need to worry about those, kinda thing. It's really odd, but post surgery where I'm much more sensitive to sugars... I haven't had a single issue with even the most sugary of fruits. But if I go too far over 5g of added... and things start to get unpleasant.

I had no idea about this, thank you. Ok, so then really, the only thing that was an "issue" was the sugars in the yogurt? I'll have to ask my nutritionist tomorrow when I see her about how she wants me to track fruits. I've been just looking at the grams of sugars, not the ingredients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, macadamia said:

I had no idea about this, thank you. Ok, so then really, the only thing that was an "issue" was the sugars in the yogurt? I'll have to ask my nutritionist tomorrow when I see her about how she wants me to track fruits. I've been just looking at the grams of sugars, not the ingredients.

Every doctor / nutritionist is different, so don't be shocked if you get a totally different answer from them LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, macadamia said:

I had no idea about this, thank you. Ok, so then really, the only thing that was an "issue" was the sugars in the yogurt? I'll have to ask my nutritionist tomorrow when I see her about how she wants me to track fruits. I've been just looking at the grams of sugars, not the ingredients.

You will be surprised once you start reading the ingredients. I just looked at a yogurt the other day. I thought the sugar was from the strawberries, but no, it had "cane sugar" listed. There is so much added sugar in everything. It's ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

You will be surprised once you start reading the ingredients. I just looked at a yogurt the other day. I thought the sugar was from the strawberries, but no, it had "cane sugar" listed. There is so much added sugar in everything. It's ridiculous.

Ignorance is bliss, eh... (-:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, macadamia said:

Ignorance is bliss, eh... (-:

Correction, ignorance is weight gain LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×