Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cash prices in the US for Bypass

I live in Texas and my insurance will absolutely not cover anything to do with weight loss. So, I'm looking at taking out a personal loan with my bank so that I can pay for the surgery. I would like to have gastric bypass as I'm 321 and 5'4" and think I'd probably benefit from it the most. Since I will be a self-pay patient, I was wondering if any of you guys that had it done (US only) paid cash and if so how much was it? I know a lot of people go to Mexico, but I am simply not comfortable doing that.

Well, I had VSG instead of bypass but the cost isn't that different where I am (Birmingham, Alabama). I paid about $12,500 out of pocket for my surgery. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, thatch said:

Well, I had VSG instead of bypass but the cost isn't that different where I am (Birmingham, Alabama). I paid about $12,500 out of pocket for my surgery. Good luck!

Oh I'm from Oxford originally. :) Have you found that you have had a lot of success with it? Do you wish you'd done gastric bypass? I wanted to get VSG. But I keep seeing that gastric is better because you don't run the risk of gain weight back. But I also don't want to have to worry about the dumping thing. I'm very conflicted.

Edited by heyheymaggiemay

I'm only 6 days out from my surgery, but I am happy with my choice so far. I had a friend who had sleeve and we had similar goals so I chose it (it was almost an eenie meenie miney mo situation, I did lean bypass for a while). I also have a friend who had bypass and while she's doing great she did gain back 20 pounds, so it's not impossible to gain weight with that route. If you have GERD you might want to stick to bypass, as it's one of the most common problems with sleeve.

I know I haven't helped you decide (sorry!) but either way you go is going to be a win for your weight loss journey. Both surgeries are excellent tools, you just need to weight the pros and cons of each. Whatever you decide, good luck and best wishes!

3 minutes ago, thatch said:

I'm only 6 days out from my surgery, but I am happy with my choice so far. I had a friend who had sleeve and we had similar goals so I chose it (it was almost an eenie meenie miney mo situation, I did lean bypass for a while). I also have a friend who had bypass and while she's doing great she did gain back 20 pounds, so it's not impossible to gain weight with that route. If you have GERD you might want to stick to bypass, as it's one of the most common problems with sleeve.

I know I haven't helped you decide (sorry!) but either way you go is going to be a win for your weight loss journey. Both surgeries are excellent tools, you just need to weight the pros and cons of each. Whatever you decide, good luck and best wishes!

Yes, gosh I have gerd and it's horrible! So knowing it's a common problem with the sleeve surgery I may have to stick to the bypass. Can you tell me, even if briefly or later, how the process was? What steps you had to take to do to have the surgery done?

Sure thing! I started with a seminar that my chosen hospital put on once a month. This gave me the basics about the surgeries, what to expect, etc. Then I had a one-on-one with my surgeon, who talked to me about my options and what my expected weight loss would look like. After that things went really fast. My surgeon's office set me up with a cardiologist who did pre-op screening and a stress test on a bike. I also had to attend a three-hour nutrition seminar and get an evaluation from a psychiatrist. I had everything done within a month, but it can take more or less time depending on when you can get appointments. Then my surgery was scheduled for a little more than two weeks out from my nutrition seminar. I started the process in early June and had my surgery July 11, that's how fast it went. I'm not sure if I'm typical for self-pay but my surgeon says it goes really fast for us.

44 minutes ago, thatch said:

Sure thing! I started with a seminar that my chosen hospital put on once a month. This gave me the basics about the surgeries, what to expect, etc. Then I had a one-on-one with my surgeon, who talked to me about my options and what my expected weight loss would look like. After that things went really fast. My surgeon's office set me up with a cardiologist who did pre-op screening and a stress test on a bike. I also had to attend a three-hour nutrition seminar and get an evaluation from a psychiatrist. I had everything done within a month, but it can take more or less time depending on when you can get appointments. Then my surgery was scheduled for a little more than two weeks out from my nutrition seminar. I started the process in early June and had my surgery July 11, that's how fast it went. I'm not sure if I'm typical for self-pay but my surgeon says it goes really fast for us.

So was that price you quoted earlier for everything; cardio, psych eval, etc., included? I imagine it'd go fast considering they aren't having to wait on payment. They're probably happy to do it! :D

My cardiologist was covered by my insurance ($10 copay), my psych eval was $150. My insurance sucks when it comes to mental health. But yeah, they're happy to get you in and not have to deal with the insurance company!

I had surgery in ft Lauderdale, fl. I paid $8899 for the sleeve last August. I used bariatrix fl, dr taggar. Dr shillingford is also another dr that is at the same hospital and has a great self pay rate. Also, dr berland in Louisiana (he might just do the sleeve) or dr umbach in Las Vegas. All cater to travelling patients.

Look up dr Kim in Texas. He does a "hernia discount". Insurance covers the hernia fix and he charges you cash for the sleeve. Other surgeonsdo this, but they're hard to find.

Dont rule out Mexico till you've read the reviews, and interviewed Drs, or at least watched them on YouTube. They cater to travelling patients and most have a fantastic experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, GassyGurl said:

I had surgery in ft Lauderdale, fl. I paid $8899 for the sleeve last August. I used bariatrix fl, dr taggar. Dr shillingford is also another dr that is at the same hospital and has a great self pay rate. Also, dr berland in Louisiana (he might just do the sleeve) or dr umbach in Las Vegas. All cater to travelling patients.

Look up dr Kim in Texas. He does a "hernia discount". Insurance covers the hernia fix and he charges you cash for the sleeve. Other surgeonsdo this, but they're hard to find.

Dont rule out Mexico till you've read the reviews, and interviewed Drs, or at least watched them on YouTube. They cater to travelling patients and most have a fantastic experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't understand how this hernia discount works? If I don't have a hernia though it'll be full price, right?

I am in San Antonio, cash price for bypass is 10.5k for hospital 5k for dr
Not sure how much I will pay anesthesia. I did have a endoscopy "paid" for by insurance. I paid facility 1.4k. I'm figuring it is still cheaper than a new car and I will love it a lot longer!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am in San Antonio, cash price for bypass is 10.5k for hospital 5k for dr
Not sure how much I will pay anesthesia. I did have a endoscopy "paid" for by insurance. I paid facility 1.4k. I'm figuring it is still cheaper than a new car and I will love it a lot longer!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I live in San Antonio, I'm having my sleeve at down town Nix hospital Dr. K. Wright. Where you having yours at

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

Gastric bypass about 13,000 That’s for surgeons fee and hospital. I’m adding complication insurance that’s 2000 extra. Dr Foreman is doing it at Crestwood Hospital

There are surgeon's in Fla and Louisiana doing it for $8000 but I don't remember their names.👈😯👉