Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here! September surgery date.

Hello!

So obviously, I'm new here. I just wanted to say hello, and add my 2 cents.

I'm 5'8, and my current weight is 360lb. I can't say for sure that this is my highest weight, as I'm pretty sure I've lost some weight since January, but I never weighed my self, so I can't be sure. I guess it really doesn't matter though, 360lb is high enough, don'cha think! Lol.

I've been fat (said not as derogatory, but as a factual statement), almost my whole life. I had the few years pre-puberty as skinny, but once 11 or 12 hit, that was over.

I am lucky enough to have gained confidence in my self in my early 20's. Loving myself, body and all. So I never tried all the questionable fad diets and gimmicks that are out there. However, I was aware that a lower weight would be healthier in the long run. Obesity runs in my family, and my Nanie (my Mom's Mom) died from complications due to being obese. I knew I didn't want to end up in the same situation as I got older, so I did try calorie counting and exercise. While it was semi successful, I just wasn't able to lose much, nor keep it off.

I knew I needed something more powerful, and lasting, for me to make weight loss work. So I've always been interested in bariatric surgery. Due to many circumstances, surgery through health care (Canadian here), was just not an option, and money for pay myself surgery, was just as unlikely. However, after a few family members went through they're own surgery, seeing how helpful surgery really was for weight loss in individuals who haven't been able to do it on their own, some of my family decided that they wanted me to have this chance, and put things in motion for me to be able to do this.

Fast forward to now, a few months later, I have a surgery date of September 5, going to a surgeon in Mexico, the same one that one of my family members went to. She is confident enough in her experience to have set me up with them. In fact, she'll be traveling with me, to help me out.

I'm excited for this journey, and a little nervous, I've never had surgery before, but I know this will be good for me. While I've been lucky enough to have remained relatively healthy, with only sleep apnea as an issue I have, I know that won't last as I get older if I don't do something now.

So that's my story so far. I'm loving being able to read everyone's story on here, and hope to add more to this great community!

3 hours ago, CallejaFairey said:

Hello!

So obviously, I'm new here. I just wanted to say hello, and add my 2 cents.

I'm 5'8, and my current weight is 360lb. I can't say for sure that this is my highest weight, as I'm pretty sure I've lost some weight since January, but I never weighed my self, so I can't be sure. I guess it really doesn't matter though, 360lb is high enough, don'cha think! Lol.

I've been fat (said not as derogatory, but as a factual statement), almost my whole life. I had the few years pre-puberty as skinny, but once 11 or 12 hit, that was over.

I am lucky enough to have gained confidence in my self in my early 20's. Loving myself, body and all. So I never tried all the questionable fad diets and gimmicks that are out there. However, I was aware that a lower weight would be healthier in the long run. Obesity runs in my family, and my Nanie (my Mom's Mom) died from complications due to being obese. I knew I didn't want to end up in the same situation as I got older, so I did try calorie counting and exercise. While it was semi successful, I just wasn't able to lose much, nor keep it off.

I knew I needed something more powerful, and lasting, for me to make weight loss work. So I've always been interested in bariatric surgery. Due to many circumstances, surgery through health care (Canadian here), was just not an option, and money for pay myself surgery, was just as unlikely. However, after a few family members went through they're own surgery, seeing how helpful surgery really was for weight loss in individuals who haven't been able to do it on their own, some of my family decided that they wanted me to have this chance, and put things in motion for me to be able to do this.

Fast forward to now, a few months later, I have a surgery date of September 5, going to a surgeon in Mexico, the same one that one of my family members went to. She is confident enough in her experience to have set me up with them. In fact, she'll be traveling with me, to help me out.

I'm excited for this journey, and a little nervous, I've never had surgery before, but I know this will be good for me. While I've been lucky enough to have remained relatively healthy, with only sleep apnea as an issue I have, I know that won't last as I get older if I don't do something now.

So that's my story so far. I'm loving being able to read everyone's story on here, and hope to add more to this great community!

You and I are having surgery on the same day!!! Best of luck with yours!

Welcome and good luck!

7 hours ago, Jingle123423 said:

You and I are having surgery on the same day!!! Best of luck with yours!

Ooh, surgery buddies! Awesome. Best of luck for yours too.

7 hours ago, Chrisb428 said:

Welcome and good luck!

Thank you.

I am also 5ft8in , started out at 355 last October, now down to 321. Slow loss I guess but I have the Basal Metabolism Rate of a slug on antidepressants, that's what happens when you are 72 and postmenopausal. But anyhoo I'm still going forth. Tuesday 7/17/2018 I meet with Dr Needleman for my presurgical appointment and hope to get an assigned surgical date also then.I am praying for a before the end of July one. That said even after that happens I'm still hanging around, Bariatric Pal has been very good to me and if I can pay it forward and help newbies to,the process nothing would please me more. Scared? Heck no, I drowned my fears in my tears long ago. Now I yearn to complete my journey, if I have to crawl down the broken glass causeway of a liquid pre-diet I will do that also. My RnY surgery means that much in my life, and I will not falter towards that GOAL. So if you would like to be friends I would be honored. Any questions, I can answer for you I would be happy to do. And,if by chance I don't have the answer someone else on Bariatric Pal will.💥😛💥

14 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I am also 5ft8in , started out at 355 last October, now down to 321. Slow loss I guess but I have the Basal Metabolism Rate of a slug on antidepressants, that's what happens when you are 72 and postmenopausal. But anyhoo I'm still going forth. Tuesday 7/17/2018 I meet with Dr Needleman for my presurgical appointment and hope to get an assigned surgical date also then.I am praying for a before the end of July one. That said even after that happens I'm still hanging around, Bariatric Pal has been very good to me and if I can pay it forward and help newbies to,the process nothing would please me more. Scared? Heck no, I drowned my fears in my tears long ago. Now I yearn to complete my journey, if I have to crawl down the broken glass causeway of a liquid pre-diet I will do that also. My RnY surgery means that much in my life, and I will not falter towards that GOAL. So if you would like to be friends I would be honored. Any questions, I can answer for you I would be happy to do. And,if by chance I don't have the answer someone else on Bariatric Pal will.💥😛💥

Thank you for your response!