Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleared out my kitchen

I have been an avid baker and cook my whole life. This morning I went through my kitchen a gathered all of my baking ingredients and sweets; tons of chocolate chips, sugars, lard, shortening, condensed milk, etc and put it all in a storage bin. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it so I put it out of sight in the basement. Just now, I threw it all out. It was liberating. I remember years ago I burned my ex's love letters that I had held on to for years, after that I was able to finally move on. It felt good getting rid of that food myself, like an alcoholic clearing out their liquor cabinet on the path to a new start. :)

It's funny how different people have different processes for this stuff.

I take weird comfort looking at the chocolate chips in my pantry...knowing they're there and knowing I have the willpower not to eat them...makes me feel weirdly in control. I still have baking stuff. Baking stuff doesn't mess with my head. BUT....

I GET where you're at with this, too.

Just the other day I flushed an entire bag of cinnamon imperials down the toilet. (those weird little red-hot candies). Found them in my husband's pocket doing laundry. At first I tried to pretend they weren't in the house....but I had a couple, then a couple more...the third time I found myself staring at them I had the..."what in hell am I thinking?" moment. I flushed them before I ate all 6 ounces or pure sugar. LOL.

Why do I like them so damned much? Who knows. But they're my kryponite. Chocolate chips I can resist. Cinnamon candies sing to me. So the little bastards had to go.

We do what we must:)

I saw myself keeping the chocolate chips to bake Cookies to give away, I know I wouldn't be able to resist eating some.

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app

Good for you! If it's not there you can't eat it. cheese it's are my personal nemesis and I've had to toss them before

I am trying very very. hard to be a good little pre surgery girl. but I swear a big bag of Chester's Ghettos winked at me in the grocery Wednesday. Ooh they want me bad, Dr Needleman save me, operate SOON!

Cheetod although the ghetto might be a good location to send them to!

I keep my baking stuff and plan to because I bake for family and friends I don’t plan to stop

Best of luck to you, newmebithebypass.
For myself, I'm trying to commit to a lifestyle change. All my baking helped put me where I am today. Getting surgery is a one-shot deal and I want to give myself the best chance at success.

Edited by AK37

I too will be doing an entire purge of all my cupboards once I have a date set and know what day I start pre-op diet. I love to bake, and love to eat so it’s got to go. Instead I will work on stocking up on Protein Shakes, bariatric Snacks and meals from my local bariatric store (Monarch Medical Weight Loss), and making room for my new life. My brother and sister in law both had Bypass (I’m having sleeve) and they bought a beverage cooler (like at a convenience store) and stocked it with waters, Protein Water, protein shakes, gatorades, etc. That became their “snack” cupboard. Hydration and protein are key. I can’t afford a cooler like that, but will have my pantry full to keep a fair supply in the fridge at all times.

On ‎06‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, AK37 said:

I have been an avid baker and cook my whole life. This morning I went through my kitchen a gathered all of my baking ingredients and sweets; tons of chocolate chips, sugars, lard, shortening, condensed milk, etc and put it all in a storage bin. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it so I put it out of sight in the basement. Just now, I threw it all out. It was liberating. I remember years ago I burned my ex's love letters that I had held on to for years, after that I was able to finally move on. It felt good getting rid of that food myself, like an alcoholic clearing out their liquor cabinet on the path to a new start. :)

If only you could have seen my fridge and pantry before my surgery. I had surgery out of town, so my sister came with her family to dog sit for me, and I had to apologize because it looked like we were moving. Everything was empty. Even the Condiments were gone, because not many were bariatric friendly. My husband said I probably overdid it considering he still lives there, but it helped me feel ready by getting rid of everything.