Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to make a decision

Hello everyone ☺️

I have been on the site for a while now , I recently finished my kaiser required 6 month classes, labs , fitness test and I received my formal authorization, I am now waiting for meeting with surgeon and surgery date. When I see my surgeon I will need to have made a decision regarding specific surgery i. e bypass or sleeve. I decided to come to this specific bypass site to get some feedback from you guys, my questions are, was the recovery difficult? How much weight did you drop the first few months?, any dumping ? Regrets? Anyone wishing they did the sleeve instead? Etc. whatever you can offer as info on your experience with the surgery .

Thanks everyone

Recovery for me wasn't difficult. I heal fast so it was more or less figuring out how to get in enough fluids and Protein once I was able to eat solid food.< br>
The first few months I dropped about 30 or so lbs. I only dump if I eat something I'm not supposed to or if the meat is too dry or something is high in fat. No regrets. I regret nothing. I'm glad I chose the procedure I did. I've lost all of my excess body weight and made it to my goal. I'm well pass it actually. I chose Gastric Bypass.

The recovery is different for everyone and once you choose the surgery that you feel is best for you, don't let the stalls discourage you. They will pass, there are ways to get through them.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-124
GW-130
Size- 2, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 34C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

So glad you asked this question as I'm freaking out because I can't decide which surgery would be the best for me. Surgeon can go either way. Looking forward to uour responses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn't want malabsorption, so I picked the sleeve. The 3 people I know from the wls group and my PCP office have all had to have Iron infusions because of malabsorption. Plus one has an ulcer in the unused portion of her stomach - which is very hard to treat, she is 7 years out and still at goal but has that and deficiencies. I figured I didn't need the dumping part to keep me on track. Bypass patients lose faster initially, but statistics on end result losses are not much different between the two surgeries. This is just my opinion and experience and others may have wished they had done bypass. A few have converted to bypass because of uncontrolled acid reflux with the sleeve. I have only have reflux twice in 7 months and it was nothing major.

I chose the sleeve after doing research on malabsorption, complications, etc. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the sleeve again. I can eat darn near anything I want, just in small quantities. I haven't experienced dumping one single time, even after a few bites of ice cream. Luckily for me, I made the conscious decision to truly change my habits to help make sure the sleeve was going to be a successful tool, so I don't eat a bunch of crap. It's usually Protein and veggies only, or protein bars/shakes, eggs, etc. My HW was 347, SW was 283, and currently 186. I lost over 50 lbs within the first few months, and 97lbs in 8 months. My brother even said I look anorexic or gaunt in the shoulders! So now it's off to the gym to try and build muscle mass.

I chose the sleeve after doing research on malabsorption, complications, etc. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the sleeve again. I can eat darn near anything I want, just in small quantities. I haven't experienced dumping one single time, even after a few bites of ice cream. Luckily for me, I made the conscious decision to truly change my habits to help make sure the sleeve was going to be a successful tool, so I don't eat a bunch of crap. It's usually Protein and veggies only, or protein bars/shakes, eggs, etc. My HW was 347, SW was 283, and currently 186. I lost over 50 lbs within the first few months, and 97lbs in 8 months. My brother even said I look anorexic or gaunt in the shoulders! So now it's off to the gym to try and build muscle mass.

I did my surgery through Kaiser in Northern CA.

Oh wow I’m originally from northern Cali , I now live in San Diego . What exercises are your go to and any info on the Hair loss, thank you soooo much for your response ,I’m getting close and I really want to be ready and succure in my decision

I chose the sleeve even though I have an enormous amount of weight to lose. The doctor even suggested in the first few meetings that I should do the bypass. But I had taken 10 years to make the decision to have the surgery and I knew that I didn't want all of the issues associated with the bypass. I was willing to settle for not reaching my ideal weight and simply getting healthier with the sleeve. I had the surgery 12-12-18, I'm down a total of 93 pounds since I started the entire journey 6-1-18 and I don't regret a thing. Even only 6 months out, I can just about eat anything, albeit it in very small amounts, and have not had dumping or any issues (except chronically low Iron, which might not even be related). I guess my only advice is don't be pressured into having the more extensive surgery. Do what's right for you and your goals.

And in the final analysis,it is what seems right,to yo

you , which you think,you can comply,with the rules best and what you feel will make you the healthiest. It isn't Mama's surgery, it isn't,Sisters surgery it isn't Rev Jones or Lawyer Smith's it's yours and yours alone.

I am in the same boat as you! I'm still far out, my surgery is in December hopefully but I am having the same dilemna and that's why I cam on this site too!

I too have to make this decision. My concerns are a bit different. I have the lap band currently and it has to be removed. I am terrified to have either surgery to be honest but I know if I don't I will gain all my weight back. I do not need to loose a bunch of weight anymore but still need to loose about 50 to 60 pounds. I have had acid reflux in the past but only when I was pregnant. I am 51 so no chance of that! The decision is very difficult. I have lost 70 pounds with the lap band.

I’m 48 & I feel like I should listen to my doctor but yet I’m not sure what to do! What scares you about the surgery?

At 72 Not Much At All!
I have had 2 knee replacements because my weight worebth r m out.
I have had scares with cancer, heart, lungs, kidneys eyesight and hearing
I have buried my grandparents, parents, husband, son at 31. I have babies unborn.
I have buried relatives who treated me badly
I have buried animals who treated me better,than people did
I outlived the cousin who told me to kill myself
I have,lost friends to cancer who I still miss
I outlived the doctor who,told me I would be diabetic by 30 and,I wasn't
I outlived people who told me I was ugly, fat, would never have friends, wouldn't graduate or ever do anything worthwhile with my life.
I proved the naysayers who said people over 50, 60 or even 70,are too old to plan Weight Loss Surgery
I am proving the,people who said i,should sit down, shut up, give,up and resign,myself to dying and doing it soon. I am still,going, going strong and can see a future ahead and. I am part of it. Doubt count me out yet
I have pride in me and what I feel I can still accomplish.
And from now on I will vibrantly live, with 5 to 7 small scars showing, my badges of honor in a less than honorable world.
My gastrointestinal renovations are just that, a remodeling to enhance,my future days. And on the day of my,upcoming I will present myself at my bariatric facility with hope in my ❤ ,pride in myself for this decision, deep humility for this opportunity for my surgery, and a giant smile on my face. On that day
I will be doing the right thing
At the right time
For the Right Reason
With the Right Surgeon
At the Right Facility
For the maximum Results
On the Right Day and at the correct time
For the Right Person - ME
And if my future years are many- Wonderful
And if they are few' still I will have lived them and lived them to the best of my ability.
I have said my piece- Spoken what I feel- I go forth to write my story and conclude ehat,life I am still given.
And that is good and sufficent enough.

And my stats in case someone is interested and doesn't know them already
Age 72 date of birth December 26 1945
Eyes hazel green hair strawberry blonde aka light red gold(& natural)
Height 5ft8in down from youth high,of 6 feet- at my age you have the spine of a osteoporotic mackerel!
Current Weight321 lb
High Weight 355 lbs October 2017
Surgery weight- To Be
Determined
Surgery Date. July ?? 2018
Future Surgery Location- First Operating Theatre Open
Ohio State University Hospital-Wexner Medical Center
Columbus Ohio 43210
Presiding Surgeon Bradley Needleman