Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about surgery setting me back

Had my gastric sleeve done 14 months ago and already met my goal. But yesterday I had a total knee replacement done and am very worried about gaining weight from not being able to get around and getting to the gym to do my exercises/walking. Has anyone else had a issue with another surgery setting them back?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

39 minutes ago, millerla4 said:

Had my gastric sleeve done 14 months ago and already met my goal. But yesterday I had a total knee replacement done and am very worried about gaining weight from not being able to get around and getting to the gym to do my exercises/walking. Has anyone else had a issue with another surgery setting them back?

Figure out your BMR here https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator (Your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs just to be alive, think in a coma, alive but not moving).

And don't eat more than that per day and you should be fine.

My current BMR is 2047, so barring any medication that causes weight gain etc, if I laid in bed all day and didn't consume 2047 calories, I'd be at a deficit and my body would be forced to use it's energy stores.

Stay under your BMR if you can't exercise and you shouldn't have a problem with weight gain.

They also have exercises you can do sitting down. Google chair cardio exercises. There's many for different levels of fitness.

Figure out your BMR here https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator (Your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs just to be alive, think in a coma, alive but not moving).
And don't eat more than that per day and you should be fine.

My current BMR is 2047, so barring any medication that causes weight gain etc, if I laid in bed all day and didn't consume 2047 calories, I'd be at a deficit and my body would be forced to use it's energy stores.

Stay under your BMR if you can't exercise and you shouldn't have a problem with weight gain.
Thank you

I do many of them myself at 72 if I'm nor kind to me who will be? That said, and you may doubt it if you wish, they still give your upper body a workout. And,you will be getting back into modified PE pretty soon to exercise that knee so it will become flexible soon. I honestly thought mine resumed too soon, but I perhaps were better for it.
I still mourn the fact I couldn't be power forward on my,church basketball team, one thing my ortho said "No Mas" on, I also was a pretty creditable,softball/ baseball catcher,in my time. Now, even if I could hunker down my big backside would tip me backwards and it might take one or two handsome young men to,pick me up and set me on my feet again. So even if I am sitting down I use my power bands to help exercise.
What you lose ability for, something else will come along. Life does balance in the long run!🎭😛🎭

It is very common for people regain after an injury, prolonged illness or surgery that puts them down for and extended period of time. I have had several surgeries since my VSG (plastics and orthopedics) and in each case I prophylactically dropped my intake by about 20% to accommodate the reduced calorie burn until my activity levels normalized again. 20% was just a guess on my part (called a SWAG - scientific wild assed guess - in the tech world) but it was fairly easy to do and could be adjusted up or down as needed to keep my weight stable. It was better than reacting later to a gain.

Be careful about online calculators for things like BMR or calorie burn for different activities, Beyond often being optimistic, if they only use scale weight rather than lean body mass or "ideal" weight, they can be wildly inaccurate for us fatties and former fatties. The extra fat that we carry does little to alter basil metabolism (active, yes, as we have to haul around that extra weigth 24/7), and they don't account for the metabolic problems that often accompany our obesity or former obesity - it is not unusual for someone who has a theoretical BMR of say, 1600 calories to gain weight at 12-1400 or even less.

Thanks everyone, just had my total knee done Thursday 6/14. Not eating much due to pain meds, they make me sick to my stomach. Did make the mistake of stepping on scale and gained 5 pounds. Really I barely ate anything since Thursday. But my knee is soooooo swollen and they pump so much fluids into me while at the hospital. Started with my leg exercise the day after surgery with PT therapy starting Monday. I will not allow this surgery to sabotage my WLS, my goal has been met and I plan on keeping it that way. Wish me luck