Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok. So I am starting my pre-op diet on Wednesday. Little nervous about it. How can I stick to just 5 shakes a day - less than 1000 calories? I am allowed raw vegetables after 3 days.

I’m not going to lie...it’s hard. I had severe headaches after day two and had no idea how I would make it. I finally figured out how: for my fluids, I did Propel sugar free, experimented with various recipes for my shakes and discovered that the best shakes came from Walmart (Premiere Protein...kept me full longer & tasted better.). I bought unflavored nectar Protein Powder and added it to chick broth powder that cost $1.88. The chicken Soup combined with the Premier Protein shakes and the propel were my saving graces. It took a while to adjust to to it but trust me...if I can do it, anyone can.

That nectar unflavored Protein is the best unflavored because it mixes great. When putting it in the chick broth, add it slowly.

It’s not fun. For me, day 3 was the worst. No idea why. After that, the next 11 days were easy. I actually wasn’t hungry and didn’t want to eat all my Optifast products each day.

It’s very hard I won’t lie the first few days. You will fight head hunger. Mine was all liquid so you should be pretty good. Trust me you can do it.

You'll fight REAL hunger, too....because less than 1000 calories are not enough to support your nutritional needs.

You'll be hungry and miserable. It's awful.

But you get through it. I agree with previous poster that it gets easier after day 3....it's like your spirit gets broken and you accept your hellish fate or something. LOL.

Your liver WILL shrink, however...and this will make your surgery safer.

Best wishes...it's a tough one. You can do it, though.

One thing I plan to do during my pre-op is sleep in as long as possible and go to bed really early. Should be easy if I have zero energy from not eating. But I figure the less time I’m awake the less time I have to be hungry.

That is a good idea. Just sleep my way through the pre-op diet. :-)

By the way how do you get that graphical thing on the bottom of your post that shows your weight progress? Everyone seems to have one of those except me. :-(

On 06/11/2018 at 17:39, mav2126 said:

That is a good idea. Just sleep my way through the pre-op diet. :-)

By the way how do you get that graphical thing on the bottom of your post that shows your weight progress? Everyone seems to have one of those except me. :-(

It’s a ticket you can add through your profile here, but you have to be on the computer site, the option doesn’t appear on mobile sites.

I’m not in my computer at the moment otherwise I could tell you the exact steps. Maybe someone can chime in if they know until I get home. :)

I think I got it to work. Thanks.