Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to start jogging?

Never jogged before. But I have set a goal, with no particular time limit, to be able to jog 5k. I am about 2.5 months post operation, 307lbs, male.

I tried a little jogging today during a 2.5 mile walk, and it just felt weird with my stomach gut flopping around. Should I wait until my gut is more diminished? I don't want to make any future excessive skin worse, and it might even be a bad rythm to have a gut bouncing around.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

I started couch to 5K at four weeks post op. Why wait? You are going to have the loose skin you have regardless of whether it bounces now or not. If it bothers you try compression wear!

@wjgo you are ready to start jogging now. And yes, Compression gear is a must! Buy a size smaller than your current size though. Sadly, it's entirely possible that your excess skin will never go away on it's own.

Check out "Obese to Beast" on YouTube, this kid went from 370 to 200 (and lower for a fitness contest), he did it all naturally and it took him 5+ years and even with the slow weight loss, he's got a fair amount of excess skin that causes issues with his running. You can get some good compression gear cheap on Amazon (The Superman Compression Shirt in my Avatar was $19... By Red Plume, they can take a little bit to ship, but for the cost... it's well worth it, beats paying $50+ for Under Armour! (which I have as well and love, just not the price)

I've started 1 minute jogs every half mile on my 2.5 mile walks.

I think you should be ready. But then again, it's your body. If it makes you uncomfortable, then you could try a lighter exercise until you get comfortable. Do you feel any pain when jogging?

Good for you. Pre op I would have never thought I would be interested in jogging. Post op I feel like I just want to do everything and I can't yet. Had my 1st follow up with my surgeon yesterday and was told to wait until 6 weeks post to anything past eliptical w/ no arms, stationary or walking. Not even swimming until incision scars are fully healed. No scabs, has to me only my skin over spots.

Good for you. Pre op I would have never thought I would be interested in jogging. Post op I feel like I just want to do everything and I can't yet. Had my 1st follow up with my surgeon yesterday and was told to wait until 6 weeks post to anything past eliptical w/ no arms, stationary or walking. Not even swimming until incision scars are fully healed. No scabs, has to me only my skin over spots.
What happen that your doctor does not want you to walk? 4 hours after surgery I was doing a mile in the hospital hallways for the gas relief walks.

Maybe I wrote that wrong. Meant nothing but eliptical, stationary bike or walking. Those are allowed, nothing else is. No lifting anything over 10lbs which almost impossible.

I think you will be ok as long as you don't strain your incisions or your upper body while stomach still healing. My program put us on a 25 or 30 lb limit first 2 weeks

Was telling my wife today as the weight comes off I should add weights to my backpack for my walks. Technically I wouldn't be lifting anything more than what I was already carrying.....

Was telling my wife today as the weight comes off I should add weights to my backpack for my walks. Technically I wouldn't be lifting anything more than what I was already carrying.....

Actually it will be a little different, and for the better. Walking around with weights in a backpack is now commonly called "rucking" (after military jargon) and seems to be gaining popularity. Weights will work on shoulder, upper body and core muscles. There are alot of internet hits about rucking, just do a search.I bought a specialized backpack just for rucking. It has a compartment to put weights in that rides high on the inside of the pack, and keeps them stable (designed for the manufacturer's weights). Keeping weights high in the pack helps posture and keeps them from hitting lower back when walking, especially if the weights do sag your pack, walk fast or jog any distance. A hip belt might help but you don't want that tight.

You will probably want sandbags full of sand in your pack. Less sharp edges and a little shapeable. Weights are expensive, but bricks are cheaper. So people will use sandbags or bricks wrapped up in duct tape. Also, foam pads, pool tubes, whatever, is commonly used to keep the weights at the top of bag as much as possible, and anyway you can keep the weight from moving. I've seen pictures of packs entirely lined with foam pads, front back, bottom and sides.

Rucking is now a "sport" of sorts. Like the Spartan obstacle races I am sure you have heard about their is a rucking group, called GoRuck.com. (where I bought my built tougher than a M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank backpack). But this group is not about racing, it's about team effort. Groups do courses in small groups, no big production like a Spartan race, lots of military style boot camp exercises maybe things like carrying people on stretchers. Its run by veterans and has military and patriotic themes. All events are dedicated to a military branch or as a memorial to a battle (or tragedy). All groups must carry a flag for the team and a 25 lb weight for the team, and each person carries their own Water and supplies, and rucks their own 20lb weight.

I am training for an event now. They have no specific listed physical requirement but videos I see they so pushups, crunches, bear crawls, and other exercises (backpack stays on) and other activities like carrying other people. In emails, I was told if one can jog a 5k, a Light challenge (7-10 miles) will be no problem. So I am training a couch to 5k and off days rucking bricks until a buy a good weight. Goal is to be ready next year for a June 6th event dedicated to D-DAY in Washington D.C.

Read the beginning of an article on Wednesday while sitting in my surgeons waiting room about it. That's what gave me the idea. I remember reading a post from you in another thread a few weeks back where you mentioned rucking. Sounds really interesting. I am going to look into it.Highly doubt it's something i'd ever physically be able to do but no harm in learning about it. Thanks for the info and Good luck on your training and the actual event when you get there.

14 hours ago, J San said:

I've done this... I've got a 50lb weight vest. A few weeks back I put it on, and weighed myself and I was still less than my pre-op weigh in... the 2 miles I walked was less fun because of it LOL

I like the weights because, backpack is then multi-use! And trains for a heavy backpack hike or camp!

I think rucking is gaining popularity because if using a backpack and true rucking, you can do it every where, walking to work and carrying other stuff, to from car, grocery shopping, whatever. But don't skimp on a backpack, you'll want a comfortable one and preferably one that can hold a hydration bladder with holed for the hose to drink from.