Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! My name is Carolina, 25 year old from Brooklyn, NY. I had my gastric by pass on June 23 2017 and loss a total of 129 pounds (HW: 249”bs CW 120lbs).

After reaching my goal weight of 120lbs and switching to maintance calories, about a month and half ago, something happen to me— mentally. I can’t stop obsessing over food. Food is the first thing I think about as soon as I wake up, the last thing I think about before falling to sleep, and ALL I think about in between. I am constantly eating without planning and without being hungry. Often, I just eat because the food is available. I lose control of my fitness/health goals and lose sight of my decisison to be more mindful with eating. althought I am fully aware of what am doing during the time I am eating, the strength to stop myself is not there anymore.

Knowing that I loss my initial decipline is scary. However, there are more scary thoughts that hunt me. I am scare.. scare of regaining all the weight back, scare of not getting control of this mindless eating stage, and above it all.. scare of losing the person I now see in the mirror. The person I always wanted to be.

Can anyone else relate? Help me....

Edited by CarolinaLopez93

While I haven't had my procedure yet, I can relate to the obsessing over food.

Is your dietician or surgeon/doctor able to give any insight?

Hopefully those who have had WLS will chime in with their experiences once they reached goal weight and start maintenance.

12 hours ago, CarolinaLopez93 said:

Hello everyone! My name is Carolina, 25 year old from Brooklyn, NY. I had my gastric by pass on June 23 2017 and loss a total of 129 pounds (HW: 249”bs CW 120lbs).

After reaching my goal weight of 120lbs and switching to maintance calories, about a month and half ago, something happen to me— mentally. I can’t stop obsessing over food. food is the first thing I think about as soon as I wake up, the last thing I think about before falling to sleep, and ALL I think about in between. I am constantly eating without planning and without being hungry. Often, I just eat because the food is available. I lose control of my fitness/health goals and lose sight of my decisison to be more mindful with eating. althought I am fully aware of what am doing during the time I am eating, the strength to stop myself is not there anymore.

Knowing that I loss my initial decipline is scary. However, there are more scary thoughts that hunt me. I am scare.. scare of regaining all the weight back, scare of not getting control of this mindless eating stage, and above it all.. scare of losing the person I now see in the mirror. The person I always wanted to be.

Can anyone else relate? Help me....

I can relate. I'm in my preop phase, about to submit to insurance in the next week. I almost have to obsess over it in order to stay on track. When I'm not focused on it, I go way over my calories and end up not getting enough Protein. Falling off track is part of the process, everyone does it. Just dust yourself off and get back on the horse. It is ok. Since you have lost all your weight, maybe you should meet with your nutrition person and make sure you are getting everything your body needs. If not, it may crave foods that aren't as healthy as you may like. I hope this helps some. And enjoy your body at this stage. you've lost a lot of weight, find ways to make exercise fun even if it's walking a dog or doing cardio.

I have found when I obsess over food like nonstop 24/7 think about it is when I have the least control if the only thing I am thinking about is food of course I’m gonna wanna eat but try to occupy your mind there is always gonna be tempting things we live in a culture where everything revolves around food from holidays birthdays to funerals break ups every thing so prioritize your goals accomplish something every hour I like to play mobile games specificiallly logic games I like to progress thru the levels and test my brain

Best advice, nip it in the bud now. Go see your surgeon and nutritionist, consider counseling to deal with that aspect. I let mine slide and I gained. It is so much harder to take it off when you are out of the honeymoon phase.
You can do do this!!

You need to take control. When you start thinking about food you need to stop the thought process ASAP, think about why you had the surgery in the first place. Ask yourself what's more important to you, your health or whatever food you are obsessing about. Obsessions need corrective cognitive adjustment in order to get past it, and only you can do that. Sure you can go see a shrink and they'll tell you what to do, but, in the end, only you can actually do what needs to be done. Clearly you don't like the behavior, and you are worried about what it's doing to your overall health, So, disrupt the thoughts as soon as they pop up.

Me, I lived for food. It was how I was raised. Food, was, everything. I've gone out of my way to confront food and make the choice to no longer want it. It's not easy, but it does work. You just have to KEEP DOING IT. Eventually your thoughts about food will change, you just have to travel that path.

Overall, you know what you really want. So, make it happen. You control you, not food.

I'd definitely reach out to the professionals in your program so they can give you some suggestions on what to do.

Don't let food win. You're stronger!

Victory Lap Syndrome

You are so happy and you think its ok to eat and eat . You know you shouldn't but it feels so good.

I haven't had my surgery yet because of this, I have had to quit smoking, drinking, stop coffee, sodas, it's over a year now I look good but I still haven't had my surgery because of the setbacks too much victory lapping cause.

I'm finally at the point where it's time to just lose the weight 22lbs and I get my surgery.

I feel like a virgin I'm so clean lol lol lol. but looking like I'm as healthy as I am is just as important to me.

I can't believe that after quitting all of these things my husband still tells me I won't keep the weight off even if I get the surgery. Sorry that's not your problem

You won!

Now eat that last chip and get back on the scale. If you can say that you have remained at your goal weight for

6 more months then maybe you can take another victory lap. I'm so happy for you!