Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 6 months post VSG (pics)

I had VSG on 11/30/17 and I feel AMAZING! I've lost 105lbs so far. I was 343lbs on the day of surgery and 238lbs at the moment.

The surgery has been an incredible tool. I'm at the gym every day, I mean prep and stay away from carbs/sugar. The liquid diet after surgery puts your body in ketosis and I stuck with it when I moved to regular foods. I stay under 20g of carbs per day, 50g if I'm carb cycling (complex carbs only) and I try to get around 1200 calories in - some days it's a struggle to hit 1200 because I don't feel hungry and/or I'm satisfied by a few bites.

I'm halfway to my goal and getting closer to one-derland!Collage%202018-05-19%2023_35_20.jpg

Was 343 your highest weight ever? Did you have to do a preop diet, if so how much were you at preop diet?

Was 343 your highest weight ever? Did you have to do a preop diet, if so how much were you at preop diet?

Yes 343 was my highest. I didn't do a pre op diet. I was self pay so I didn't have many pre op requirements. I had to see a nutritionist 3 times and although we put together a diet plan I didn't follow it. I actually gained weight during the process. I was 337 at my first appointment with the surgeon and 343 the day of surgery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am very concerned

I had my vsg on Dec 11

My preop diet I weighed 344lbs

But on day of surgery I was 321 lbs ( so I lost 23 pounds in perop diet )

I am stuck in the 270's. I am 271 as of today

Do you think I am behind?

This has been the slowest journey. I work out all the time. I never imagined this would go this slow. People area ll losing 100 lbs at this point and I keep asking them, ohh you including preop. and they'll say, no this is how much I've lost since surgery (and they have around the same surgery date) I don't know what I did wrong. Thanks

Are you on schedule or do your doctors tell you you are ahead?

Are you on schedule or do your doctors tell you you are ahead?

I saw my surgeon a few weeks ago and he didn't mention where I "should" be, he was just pleased with my progress and I will see him again in July. He said I should be around 200lbs by then.

Everyone is different...don't stress! Go by how you FEEL, not what the scale says. Do you track your calories? Have you tried tweaking your diet a bit? Hang in there... you're doing great!

4 hours ago, Toomanytacos said:

I am very concerned

I had my vsg on Dec 11

My preop diet I weighed 344lbs

But on day of surgery I was 321 lbs ( so I lost 23 pounds in perop diet )

I am stuck in the 270's. I am 271 as of today

Do you think I am behind?

This has been the slowest journey. I work out all the time. I never imagined this would go this slow. People area ll losing 100 lbs at this point and I keep asking them, ohh you including preop. and they'll say, no this is how much I've lost since surgery (and they have around the same surgery date) I don't know what I did wrong. Thanks

Everyone's body is going to respond differently. People who are older, especially women who are post menopose should expect to lose slower than younger sleevers, as our hormones play a part in our metabolism. People who previously had a gastric band tend to lose slower. People who had dieted a lot in recent years probably have more metabolic resistance to weight loss than those who didn't (I'm lucky I quit dieting a decade ago when I accepted that it ALWAYS made me fatter AND sicker physically and mentally in the medium to long term).

Talk with your support team if you are concerned though, they might be able to offer additional assistance?

Yeeps something else to blame on menopause! Former,PCP, not the cuurent one, Dr Carroll is very cool, this one I called the "Indian Idiot", sorry Dr Patel, but you were about this. FYI Patel is the Indian equivalent of Smith or Jones, very common there. Anyway every time,i would have a new symptom, no matter where on body, he would nod his wisely,and utter "Ah,Menopause", after the umteenth time I told one of my geriatric jokes.
If
Ida Mae went to her doctor one day.
Ida Mae- Doctor I'm,having,pain in my right leg
Doctor-Ida Mae you're 84,years old, what did you expect?
Ida Mae- Doctor, my left,leg is also 84 years old and it doesn't hurt!
Moral,to Story- No blanket diagnoses, don't take the easy way out, find the reason.😝

@michelle_lynn you look amazing!!! :) Congratulations and kudos on a job well done.

you look fabulous!

Did you ever try Atkins before VSG? You look amazing!

You look amazing! Well done!

Toomanytacos, I know how you feel--I've lost less than many other people on here. I know some of the reasons (it's been a rough eight months or so in ways having nothing to do with the surgery), but I just keep thinking about what I can do to change my eating habits and get *some* exercise going forward. This is a marathon, not a sprint, as the saying goes. The real goal is to make sure you maintain your losses long-term, not that you lose super quickly now.

You look amazing! Not the same person! Hope you feel great too!

Onederland here you come!

On 5/21/2018 at 8:34 PM, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

You look amazing! Well done!

Toomanytacos, I know how you feel--I've lost less than many other people on here. I know some of the reasons (it's been a rough eight months or so in ways having nothing to do with the surgery), but I just keep thinking about what I can do to change my eating habits and get *some* exercise going forward. This is a marathon, not a sprint, as the saying goes. The real goal is to make sure you maintain your losses long-term, not that you lose super quickly now.

Do you do Facebook? if so would you like to be friends? My name is JoannaLynn Burrell.

Did you lose during your preop diet. What were you day of surgery and what did you weigh now? And if you lost during preop diet how much was it?