Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

logically speaking, I know I have eating issues

which is how I ended up where I am today. so if I know logically what I should and shouldn't eat, why do I still overeat? I think I have a legit fear of being hungry, like if I don't eat this now, it might not be here later or if I don't eat now while food is available, I will be hungry later on. I feel like if I don't "fix" these issues before my surgery then I'm going to fail. So much over thinking going on right now. My surgery is coming up in August and I want to start making sustainable routines now. I'm just not sure where to start

43 minutes ago, saltyjules said:

which is how I ended up where I am today. so if I know logically what I should and shouldn't eat, why do I still overeat? I think I have a legit fear of being hungry, like if I don't eat this now, it might not be here later or if I don't eat now while food is available, I will be hungry later on. I feel like if I don't "fix" these issues before my surgery then I'm going to fail. So much over thinking going on right now. My surgery is coming up in August and I want to start making sustainable routines now. I'm just not sure where to start

try this mental game. when you feel hungry start the timer on your phone and dont eat for 1 hour. during that hour drink a bottle of Water. lots of "hunger" is dehydration.

When you do eat put a small amount of food in your mouth then put down the fork or spoon and do not pick up again until you have finished chewing and swallowed. place your hands in your lap during this process.

this will help post surgery and you can work on the habit now.

1 hour ago, saltyjules said:

We understand your concern. Most of us have the same problem. Don't box yourself into a corner thinking that you've got to have everything figured out before surgery. This is an on-going process of learning and behavior modification. In some ways, our new "tool" is the teacher, i.e. dumping or foamies UGH! In addition, find local support groups. Mine has a speaker every month and lots of people with whom to discuss the ins and outs of life after surgery. Start going to those meetings now. Take advantage of every learning opportunity provided by your doctor's office. You never know when an "aha!" moment might hit!

Most of all, if your insurance covers it, try going to a counselor that specializes in eating disorders. It's even better if you can find one with bariatric experience. I plan on seeing a counselor to work through my food issues, because, like you said, that's how I got here.

Practicing eating mindfully and making small changes to start was really helpful to me. I found the book by Michelle May, Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Binge Eating, to be very useful. There is a companion workbook for people having Bariatric surgery.

Also books by Geneen Roth.

A lot of overeating is unmet needs, lack of confidence, anxiety, fear. We are self-soothing in order to gain some 'calmness' or 'numb our feelings' (to avoid facing an issue).

We are all a work in progress, all day every day - the only way to improve is to start.

You're so smart! I wish all people who were having WLS would ponder such things before having surgery. Otherwise, we wouldn't have an almost 50% regain rate after surgery. I think you're already ahead of the game by understanding that taking most of our stomach doesn't mean our brains and emotions go along with it ;-). Sounds to me you are going to do just great, especially if you can find some support to help you deal with some of those feelings.

thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely a compulsive eater and even being aware of it, it's hard to control! but I'm working on it, baby steps