Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of sugar!!

I had my surgery Jan 9th 2018 and I had not had a piece of processed sugar since if I want something sweat I have granola with a little honey on it. I was wondering if I eat like one piece of candy or a sliver of cake what would happen? Would I get sick? Or the dreaded dumping syndrome?

I was sleeved the same day! And although I’ve been very good on the diet- there has been some processed sugar- yogurt- hard candy- smoothie. So no cake or Cookies per say- but unless you over do it completely I doubt anything would actually happen. My mom had the DS with sleeve and it’s different for her. Things affect her bowells ALOT. So far for me- other than restriction when eating I’ve had no other side effects.

1 hour ago, korii said:

I had my surgery Jan 9th 2018 and I had not had a piece of processed sugar since if I want something sweat I have granola with a little honey on it. I was wondering if I eat like one piece of candy or a sliver of cake what would happen? Would I get sick? Or the dreaded dumping syndrome?

Unfortunately my sleeve can tolerate anything. I've never had dumping syndrome. It's why I have to make healthy choices if I want to control my weight. It's your choice if you indulge. Some choices may slow your weight loss, trigger cravings and cause hunger.

I won't dump when I eat sugary things...sleeve people generally don't...it's more of a bypass issue. But I will get a little nauseated if I eat over about 100 calories of sugary stuff. I'll want a glass of Water and will feel kinda crappy if I overindulge in refined carbs.

My diet doesn't allow for over 75 calories of refined sugar per day. Most days I don't eat them. But once in a while, I'll have a bite or two of someone's dessert....and I'll enjoy it. But it takes serious discipline.

Jenn's dead right about needing to make healthy choices and have the discipline to limit or avoid these kinds of things all together. You can eat them. Just be aware that they'll cause the same problems for you that they always have....rebound hunger and impulsive overindulgence. They can sabotage you.

As creek said, summing is more of a bypass thing most of us sleevers don’t dump. I never have. I have some foods that don’t agree with me, but no dumping.

I was told this by my doctor; sugar addiction is as real as a smokers addiction. To quit smoking, you would not have the occasional cig... likewise, to quit sugar is not to have candy or cakes. Honey is a better option to curb the sweet tooth, but make sure that you get the honey that is harvested locally to take advantage of the local antioxidant properties and natural immunity properties to your surrounding area.

I am in the infant stages of the VSG process (insurance requirements etc), and the first thing I cut out was everything to do with sugar. Some items are unavoidable, but for the most part, I do not indulge in anymore processed sweets. Of course I still depend on artificial sweeteners (demons in their own rite), but they will soon be gone as well. Along with honey, I am supplementing the sweet tooth with apples, grapes and strawberries.

My mother, a 10-year veteran of gastric bypass, felt that she could a full candy bar if she ate it over 2 or 3 sittings... gaining back 50-pounds of her lost weight, her doctor asked her why? "Why would you give in to those demons and lie to yourself." She cleansed her house of all of the processed carbs that have made their way back into her cupboard (and life), and has since lost 25 of those pounds...

If you must give in, at least substitute for a more naturally concurring sugar, and stay away from that processed stuff.

I'm not a medical expert, but I am a recovering addict.

I've been preaching about sugar addiction...if you think you have a "sweet tooth", there's a good change you're a full-on sugar addict. Do some research...it's as physically addictive as cocaine, and imaging shows that it lights up the same areas of the brain as cocaine addiction does. I always thought I just had a sweet tooth.... it wasn't until years after surgery (and 55 lbs of regain) that I learned about this. Understanding that it's just as real as an alcohol or drug addiction, and recognizing it in myself, has made all the difference in the world in my ability to get off and stay off the stuff. Please research it and understand it. It's the one and only thing that I wish I'd known about ahead of time.