Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to say when

I am 20 months out and have lost 93 lbs. I fluctuate 2 to 3 lbs above that. Today I was exactly 93 lbs again, but for the past 10 months I NEVER go below that. It feels like my brain controls my hunger to keep me at this set point. And maybe it does. Has anyone got to a stable point above their "goal weight" and just said, ok this is where my body seems to be happy. This seems to be a sustainable point where I am going to be. And just accept that and continue to make healthy choices and stop trying to loose more weight, cause it just doesn't seem to be in the stars. Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled with my weight loss and very thankful and comfortable where I am. But I am still obese on the BMI charts. When do we just accept obese?

16 minutes ago, IveGotThePower said:

I am 20 months out and have lost 93 lbs. I fluctuate 2 to 3 lbs above that. Today I was exactly 93 lbs again, but for the past 10 months I NEVER go below that. It feels like my brain controls my hunger to keep me at this set point. And maybe it does. Has anyone got to a stable point above their "goal weight" and just said, ok this is where my body seems to be happy. This seems to be a sustainable point where I am going to be. And just accept that and continue to make healthy choices and stop trying to loose more weight, cause it just doesn't seem to be in the stars. Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled with my weight loss and very thankful and comfortable where I am. But I am still obese on the BMI charts. When do we just accept obese?

Congratulations on 93 down! great work!

What you want to accept as a healthy weight is up to you. The goal is healthy right? Reach for the stars if you want to go further.

2 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

Congratulations on 93 down! great work!

What you want to accept as a healthy weight is up to you. The goal is healthy right? Reach for the stars if you want to go further.

Thank you jenn1. Congratulations to you as well. You have done a fantastic job also. Your comment brings up another question. I am sure that we have improved our health and our potential for developing additional obesity related health issues in the future. However, it would be nice to see how much the statistics improve from where I am vs another 30 or 40 lbs. Sort of an answer to whether the "pain and suffering" if you will for that additional weigh is worth it. Not just a vanity thing.

15 minutes ago, IveGotThePower said:

Thank you jenn1. Congratulations to you as well. You have done a fantastic job also. Your comment brings up another question. I am sure that we have improved our health and our potential for developing additional obesity related health issues in the future. However, it would be nice to see how much the statistics improve from where I am vs another 30 or 40 lbs. Sort of an answer to whether the "pain and suffering" if you will for that additional weigh is worth it. Not just a vanity thing.

I'm sure you see and feel the health benefits from your weight loss.You are the only person that has to good with your BMI. It does not matter what anyone else's opinion is. The goal is healthy. Whatever that may look like to you.

As for the statistics you answered your own question - If you lower your weight to a BMI overweight to normal zone. It will reduce your health risks further.

You fought the pain and suffering to get your 93 down. Up to you if you want to reach for the stars.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

I do think there are “Heath pounds” to lose and “vanity pounds.” And definitely need to weigh how much the struggle for those vanity pounds is worth to you.

Recent studies actually show that people who are slightly overweight (BMI of 27) live longer than those who are underweight, obese and yes actually NORMAL weight!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1555137

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-a-few-extra-pounds-help-you-live-longer/

Now where you carry the excess weight has something to do with it as well (visceral fat, seen in Apple shapes is the worst) and you have to give up smoking and such, but you get my drift.

I do wish there were indeed a way to say what your own optimal weight is and how much those extra pounds would reduce the risk of medical issues. Hopefully that will come with more research and time, but we aren’t there yet.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:02 PM, IveGotThePower said:

I wish I could offer some advise but I too am above my goal and have been there for many months. I lost over 280 pounds and bounce back and forth from 207 to 217 and my goal is 180. I just can't seem to drop below that 207. All that weight lost and I am still obese also. I can't accept this wieght as I am not physically comfortable at where I am now, but I am really struggling to get lower. I have done a week of just liquids several times. I get to 207 and then when I start eating again I am back to 217. I know if I could walk and do more exercise I might be able to get below the 207 mark but the back pain is too great. I don't know what else to do and have some idea of how you too are feeling. Just wanted you to know, your not alone.