Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long !! please help

:help:ok i am wanting the lapband done i think my selection where to have done is going to be southampton spire hospital ( as it is only 1 hour from me ) and the price is not to bad so can any one tell me before i make the appointment on monday to see the consultant how long does the whole process take from that 1st visit are we looking at months or weeks i will be going self funded not sure if this makes a big difference or not i am just so fed up now and i am longing to have this done all i think about is this band none stop looking things up about it but i cannot find no anwsers about waiting time , there is alot of advise on this site thank-you to all ;) please do not think that i am just thinking it is a quick fix as i am not i have done all the diets etc going as i am sure you all have but ended up at my heavest again:angry and i am so ooooo fed up with it all it is getting to the stage that i do not want to go out no more my bmi is 42 arghhh many thanksxx:help:

I know right now you feel desperate for a solution and you won't like my answer: you MAY be able to get in quickly, but please please do NOT hurry this decision.

Read, read, read everything you can on the Internet about the Lap Band and read all the forums.

This is one of the most important decisions you will ever make in your life and you need time to make sure it's right for you. Please trust me--you do not want to rush into this...

I just had mine done on oct 16th and I started in January. I too wanted it yesterday but I was glad I went through the process. I learned sooo much about behavior and making the changes I needed to make to be successful. My insurance covered me 100 % but even if I was paying out of pocket this program requires you to comply with everything in order to be approved for surgery. I do know some but not many who had hit the fast track to their surgery. Make the first step go to the seminar and get informed. I hope you have much success.

Bekkie

They usually work with you. I had my meeting with the doctor in early October, but elected to have the surgery in January because of my work trips planned and of course the parties in December. I didn't want to be on mush during those cause I knew I would want to cheat. Also, my mom's Christmas Eve fish extravagenza is to die for and I wanted one more year of the overindulgence.

Oh, and I am using the next 2 months to wean off my trigger foods and read what everyone here has to say, both pro and con.

I find the before and after pics and stories the most inspiring.

I had been interested in lap-band surgery ever since I first heard of it a few years ago but I wasn't 100 pounds overweight. After I saw a commercial for it, I decided to check again and saw that I might qualify with my BMI of 35. The first I said anything about it out loud was on a hike in the mountains with my husband and two of my daughters. They all thought it was worth looking into. That was on September 21.

I started researching it more seriously after that and found this board. I made inquiries at three doctor's offices -- one in Denver, one in San Antonio, and one in Austin where I live -- and decided on the Austin doctor. I had my consultation with him last Friday and I'm scheduled for surgery next Thursday.

I am also self-pay. I just applied online with a company that my doctor uses and I got immediate approval. I've been able to get all of my other required labs, tests, and appointments in since last Friday.

So from the first moment I seriously considered it to fruition should be about six weeks! However, this is a culmination of several years of interest.

Good luck!

I went to a seminar last December. Iactually started the procedure in March of this year. My surgery will be one week from today. Even though I am self pay, I still had to pass through a whole battery of tests, and I have to say, it makes me feel much more secure to know my doctor has such a stringent process. I had a medical problem that I had to resolve before going ahead, so I could probably have had the surgery two months earlier (just guessing) if that problem hadn't arisen.

I've used this time to mentally prepare for the changes in lifestyle I'm going to be going through, so it's been a beneficial wait for me.

I was banded 4 weeks after my appointment with Mr Simon Toh at the Spirent hospital in Portsmouth (bupa). I had however been looking into it for almost a year before taking the plunge....

As I was self funding I arranged a date with the surgeon during the consultation. Good luck x

If you go the insurance route it can takes months....even years for some people (ARRRGGGHHHH!!!). If you are self-pay, it will go as fast as you want it to. Once I knew I was self pay, I was scheduled for surgery within two weeks. The only thing that may slow the process is whatever tests you will have to have pre-op. I was lucky in that I just just recently had blood work, EKG, sleep test, stress test. All I had to do was get the files forwarded to the doctor. If you are self-pay, it will go FAST.

thank-you all for your replies i have been looking into this for about 6months now and i am still am so i will let you know wjat happens as soon as i have made my mind up on what route to take as i have the doctors tomorrow morning xx thanks again

I went to the seminar in June, but it took me a couple of months to line up the money. I too was a self-pay. Once I had the money, I had the surgery 3 weeks later. I made my appointment and they schedule the surgery that day. I took care of all my preop that day, paid for it and 2 weeks later I had the surgery. That was on Oct. 11, 2007. I had been wanting this for over a year and had waited long enough. I am so glad that it finally happened. Good luck!

I have done alot of research on lap band and always knew it would be the route that I took. I was self pay and it went very fast....I even got to pick the day I wanted to have surgery.....I went to my first visit on oct. 8 and had surgery last Wednesday....Good luck to you