Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panic setting in.

I finally got my surgery date Feb 20th! After almost a year and a half of appointments and dedication.

As excited as I am, I'm terrified as well. Is this just going to be another something i fail at? I'm reading some of the post op forums and 3 months out some have only lost 6-10lbs. questioning if this is even worth it?

I gained and lost weight all my life, already at 31 have the skin to prove it. Guess I'm looking for those words of encouragement.

On AVERAGE...including people who totally screw it up and eat whatever and don't keep track...and people who are absolutely perfect.....on average...the average person will lose about 70% of their excess body weight with bypass.

If you have a hundred pounds to lose? On average...you'll lose 70 by the end of a year.

You could also beat that number...if you eat right and exercise.

Stalls happen..hormones happen...sometimes your weight will get stuck and then jump all over the place. The main thing is to stay on your program...and you will lose weight.

Weight loss surgery is the most effective permanent weightloss tool available.

Edited by Creekimp13

4 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

On AVERAGE...including people who totally screw it up and eat whatever and don't keep track...and people who are absolutely perfect.....on average...the average person will lose about 70% of their excess body weight with bypass.

If you have a hundred pounds to lose? On average...you'll lose 70 by the end of a year.

You could also beat that number...if you eat right and exercise.

Stalls happen..hormones happen...sometimes your weight will get stuck and then jump all over the place. The main thing is to stay on your program...and you will lose weight.

Weight loss surgery is the most effective permanent weightloss tool available.

Thank you!! That helps

36 minutes ago, misty2018 said:

I got my date today I will be 2/19/18

We wil be date buddies! Lol

I am 9 weeks out, and I am down 40 pounds so far, and compared to some of the others who were around my date I have lost a lot less than them. We are all different, comparing each other doesn't help. I had about a year of appts. till I had my surgery and then went through the whole thing over Thanksgiving and Christmas, and let me tell you that was so hard. But I got through it, just like you will. We wanted this surgery for a reason, to change our lives for the better. Live a happy, healthy, and longer life. You will not fail. You have come to far and once you start seeing those results which happen pretty quick you will be so glad you took the leap.

1 minute ago, Paityn said:

I am 9 weeks out, and I am down 40 pounds so far, and compared to some of the others who were around my date I have lost a lot less than them. We are all different, comparing each other doesn't help. I had about a year of appts. till I had my surgery and then went through the whole thing over Thanksgiving and Christmas, and let me tell you that was so hard. But I got through it, just like you will. We wanted this surgery for a reason, to change our lives for the better. Live a happy, healthy, and longer life. You will not fail. You have come to far and once you start seeing those results which happen pretty quick you will be so glad you took the leap.

Thank you fpr taking the time. This is excatly what i need to hear!

I had surgery April 20, 2017 and have lost 108 pounds so far. I started at 247.8 surgery weight. It can be done if you want it bad enough. If you are going to grieve over sugar food loss or if you are going to miss your “comfort foods” more than you want good health and the comfort of feeling human again, do not have the surgery. You are not ready. If however you go into the surgery arming yourself with all the knowledge you can get and believe in yourself DO IT. Remember, YOU are the only person who can make you fail. Since you have waited so long for this I believe you won’t let yourself down. Be excited. The day of your surgery will be the start of a wonderful new healthy life. Good Luck.

I had my surgery Dec. 5th 2017 and am down about 40 pounds. It is really worth it. I too have been up and down with my weight and I finally had enough. I have good days and bad but now most of them are good!

19 minutes ago, pollymatin said:

I had my surgery Dec. 5th 2017 and am down about 40 pounds. It is really worth it. I too have been up and down with my weight and I finally had enough. I have good days and bad but now most of them are good!

This is good to hear! Thank you

Stefanie0804 are you looking for someone to sing duet? I'm a creditable second soprano to tenor, exactly the same feeling and fears I have. I screwed up at dieting how so how so how d o I know I won't be a failure and mess this up? The answer believe in yourself the new tool you will have your commitment and the testimony of all these others. God Bless and I'll be watching for your story.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, kakatlady612 said:

Stefanie0804 are you looking for someone to sing duet? I'm a creditable second soprano to tenor, exactly the same feeling and fears I have. I screwed up at dieting how so how so how d o I know I won't be a failure and mess this up? The answer believe in yourself the new tool you will have your commitment and the testimony of all these others. God Bless and I'll be watching for your story.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Ill take a whole orchestra! Doubt is always going to be there. I'm doing my best to stay positive and have started a list of reminders on why I'm doing this and what I've promised myself. I by no means want to sabotage myself. But I've sang this song before.

The support of this community though, I have to admit is wonderful. Taking the time out to reassure a crazy by-passer (small pun intended) means a heck of a lot! so thank you!

12 hours ago, stefanie0804 said:

As excited as I am, I'm terrified as well. Is this just going to be another something i fail at? I'm reading some of the post op forums and 3 months out some have only lost 6-10lbs. questioning if this is even worth it?

We all lose weight at different rates but people that have lost that slowly may have underlying concerns that are causing the slower loss.

I am two months post bypass today. I’ve lost 43 pounds since surgery, and 63 pounds down total from pre surgery. My loss post surgery has been slower than I thought it would be, but it’s steady and faster than I could have ever done without my surgery. What’s more important is already things that were becoming very challenging in day to day life are already easier, and will only become more so as I lose more weight.

Just trust in the process. Focus on reading the success stories online preoperatively so you go into surgery with that positive mind set!

Best wishes!