Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncontrollable Itch (WARNING Picture included)

Hi again, lol it’s me.

I am now 7 Days post op, my steri strips still haven’t fallen off despite showers, and I have now developed small hives I think around my main incision, they’re all red around them, and OH GOOD GOSH do I ever itch! My stomach is on fire with itching around my incisions. I see my dr tomorrow but is there anything I can do in the interim? I think I’m allergic to the steri strips.

BB0C6A58-6B25-42C5-B058-C275C4DCE7C3.jpeg

C8B809A5-19D2-4DE4-A038-26C20AF89E2F.jpeg

A fierce healing itch is pretty typical a week out, I had a similar experience and it eventually calmed down. But it's pretty intense for a while there, so I feel for you.

Try putting an ice pack on the itchy spots. That helped me like nothing else.

Edited by Creekimp13

4 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

A fierce healing itch is pretty typical a week out, I had a similar experience and it eventually calmed down. But it's pretty intense for a while there, so I feel for you.

Try putting an ice pack on the itchy spots. That helped me like nothing else.

I will most DEFINITELY try this!! Thank you

Oddly enough I had some Burt's Bees ResQ Ointment that I use on everything and it really calmed the itch! I had the super glue not steri strips but did itch like a mutha!

VSG 1/8/18. HW 271 SW 257 CW 223

Just now, fulamuso said:

Oddly enough I had some Burt's Bees ResQ Ointment that I use on everything and it really calmed the itch! I had the super glue not steri strips but did itch like a mutha!

VSG 1/8/18. HW 271 SW 257 CW 223

I have glue under the strips :( lol

I'm 4 years out from my last reconstruction surgery and I still itch like mad down at my chest wall and under my incisions across my back. So I know this can feel maddening! ((hugs)) Take deep breaths, stay cool, wear loose clothing. Maybe you can use a cool compress for 10 minute periods? Also maybe you can see if using Benedryl cream could help? Then tomorrow ask the doc if you can use cortisone cream? Hang in there!!

Hi. My incisions were itchy but I didn't develop hives like I see in your pic. I used Aveeno anti-itch cream which helped. Similar to Benadryl cream that FluffyChix mentioned. I had hives years ago and my allergist advised me to take Benadryl tablets. I'm not dispensing medical advice just sharing my experience and if it helps, that's great. Sure hope you feel better soon. And, by the way, I'm from MD too. Cecil County.

I would definitely check and see and make sure that you're not allergic to your strips because even with the cream you're still going to be having the reaction so I would definitely check with your doctor first

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I totally feel you. I was fortunate enough to have my bandages fall off in a few days. But the itching was still there due to the healing. I wanted to scratch at it SO BAD!! I found that putting ice around the areas helped. It would kind of numb it. You can also use an over the counter itch cream if the ice isn't working out. Good luck! Hope it starts to feel better soon!

I had horrible itching. I went to the doc at 8 days and they were removed. One shower later and the itch bang to subside. I feel like I was having a reaction to the adhesive because the itch was all over my belly. I’m now 13 days and I haven’t had any itching since then. Good luck!

Looks like you're allergic to the adhesive, I get that too after too much time. Benadryl (oral) helps and if you have a regular allergy pill try that. A warm compress will make it itch like crazy for a bit, but if you do that then remove it once the intense itch passes it'll feel MUCH better for a while. Really hot Water works better, but I wouldn't suggest that on the incision. Any kind of anti histamine cream will help too. Hang in there, it's insanely itchy!

I had same thing looked a lot like that I am 2 weeks post op. I use neosporin on lap sites and Benadryl cream around. I had the glue not steri strips.

I also wear cotton gloves at night I tend to scratch in my sleep and make it worse

good luck