Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you keep a daily journal?

Hi Gang,

I’ve been thinking of starting a daily journal. I’m pre-op and I’m currently seeing a counselor to work on some depression and co-dependency issues. I’ve been told in the past that it helps to write things down so you can see where you were and help you on the path of where you want to go. I also know from past experience, (way past) that journaling your exercise and nutrition intake on a daily basis helps tremendously.

I know that following tradition men typically don’t put thoughts and feelings to paper. But seeing that we are in or seeking to be in a special circumstance that journaling may be of help.

So what say you? Do you keep a daily journal and if so what about, no need for details, and how do you stay motivated to keep up on your entries?

We're required to keep detailed food journals...my nutritionist is insistent. We record everything that goes into our mouths and she goes over it very thoroughly at our appointments. We also log calories and Protein.

Journaling emotions, events, etc...is something I've done from time to time, too...but less consistently.

I've kept a food journal since I started this journey 22 months ago. Often, I put in little anecdotes and other details about specific days, happenings, milestones, etc. After a while, it just becomes habit. I go back and read it from the beginning every so often, and it allows me to relive my journey and think about where I started, and where I am now. I am so thankful that I have this record. (And the tracking and journaling is a big key to my tremendous success!)

Good luck!

Edited by blizair09

Just ran out on my lunch break to pick up a small Moleskin to make daily entries. Might as well start now to get into the habit. Might help me break one habit and pick up a healthier one...writing. I've been kicking around some short stores for years, this might be the catalyst for better things from a creative side.

Just now, Todd_196 said:

Just ran out on my lunch break to pick up a small Moleskin to make daily entries. Might as well start now to get into the habit. Might help me break one habit and pick up a healthier one...writing. I've been kicking around some short stores for years, this might be the catalyst for better things from a creative side.

Good for you! I really think you'll like it once you get settled into a routine. :)

I'm pre-op as well, T minus 23 days from gastric bypass surgery. I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder so believe me I know what it is to suffer through depression I also had to deal with it manifesting itself as self harm and not teenage superficial stuff, a grown man suffering from massive self hatred can do a lot of damage with a razor blade, I didn't start recovery until I was 40 years old, I just turned 45 and I look at my bypass as the next step of my recovery. I used journaling extensively especially going through my DBT therapy. I never really went back and reread what I had written but used it more as an outlet to constructively deal with my emotions, using a pen and ink instead of a razor and blood to get the pain out. I had to do food journals during my pre-op but didn't really care for it as much. I got into the habit of journaling in the morning when I had my coffee before I started work, I replaced reading the paper with writing in my journal. I carried a Moleskin and always had it with me to jot down anything else that may have struck my head as well. Good for you for seeking the help you needed and good luck the rest of the way until your surgery.

I enter all of my foods into my Baritastic app but I never thought to write a journal. If you guys don't mind, besides what you are eating and drinking what do you feel is necessary to write in your journal. Who knows, I might be missing something by not writing a journal.

8 hours ago, Danny Paul said:

I enter all of my foods into my Baritastic app but I never thought to write a journal. If you guys don't mind, besides what you are eating and drinking what do you feel is necessary to write in your journal. Who knows, I might be missing something by not writing a journal.

For me its going to be a way for me to work through the process. To me food is an addiction. Not too much different than a narcotic to me actually. Like a drug, its been a way to deal with pain, anger, sadness, celebrations you name it. Like an addiction its messed with me emotionally and physically. The byproducts of my addictions has ruined large parts of my life and continues to have an impact. Its made me behave in ways that I shouldn't. I've alienated, hid, ignored, lied to myself and others for decades. The guilt that I've put on myself is big and its effecting more than just me.

By journaling, I'll have "someone" to "talk" to. Its a place for me to put into words my thoughts and feelings. Its a way for me to be honest with myself and to lay bare what needs to be brought to light. Where will this take me over the long haul? I don't know. It might make my relationship stronger with my family or it could make me realize that I need to be on my own and go my separate way.

Make no mistake, this may hurt for me to open up and be honest with myself. But I need to do it. I've hidden from my true self for decades, but it might just make me see who I really am. It might just show me that I'm actually a good person that isn't so upset with my world and that I don't need to be the "victim" about everything. Even though we all are, I'm not anymore special than anyone else.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:10 AM, Todd_196 said:

Hi Gang,

I’ve been thinking of starting a daily journal. I’m pre-op and I’m currently seeing a counselor to work on some depression and co-dependency issues. I’ve been told in the past that it helps to write things down so you can see where you were and help you on the path of where you want to go. I also know from past experience, (way past) that journaling your exercise and nutrition intake on a daily basis helps tremendously.

I know that following tradition men typically don’t put thoughts and feelings to paper. But seeing that we are in or seeking to be in a special circumstance that journaling may be of help.

So what say you? Do you keep a daily journal and if so what about, no need for details, and how do you stay motivated to keep up on your entries?

I've started doing this simply because I need to break the cycle of eating when I feel stressed, upset, or depressed. Instead of going to food to handle this issue, the thoughts go to pen and paper. I've found this to be incredibly helpful because my blood sugars must be under control in order to go ahead with surgery. If they're wonky, I am sh*t outta luck. So I do what I feel I must in order to succeed.

18 hours ago, Danny Paul said:

I made notes about how I was feeling at certain points in the journey (physically, mentally, emotionally). I also listed various weight milestones in the context of my life (e.g., I was able to fit into a size XX pair of pants for the first time since whatever year, etc.). I also wrote about times that I was away on trips and was able to make my diet work for me and not against me. Stuff like that...

I go back and read my entire food journal every few months. It always gives me renewed inspiration when I do so!!