Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On the go foods

I’m headed on vacation to Disneyworld in 2 days. I’m almost 6 weeks post op. Just wondering if people could give me some recommendations of foods to eat since I’ll be on the go so much. Or if you’ve been to Disneyworld and you know of good places to get healthy choices let me know. I typically stick to chicken. Seafood has always made me sick and now after surgery I seem to have more of a sensitivity to it. But I want to make sure I’m getting enough Protein. I’m really bad about getting enough calories in so I really need to work on it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What about Protein Bars? Jerky? Those foil packs of tuna that don't need to be refrigerated? These are things that would be easy to carry in case you don't find suitable food there. I will keep thinking on it.

Oops. You may want to skip the tuna

Edited by Yoyogirl

I’ve got Protein bars. I made sure to stock up on those. I’m supposed to be on soft foods for another 2 weeks. My doctor made every stage so long. I haven’t had to many eating issues so far. But I think Jerky is out. I don’t like tuna and fish makes me sick.

Yeah. That is going to be tough. I would seriously think that you will be able to find food that you can eat there. Maybe do a search online for restaurants in Disney and take a look at their menus. Since you won't be eating much, take a look at appetizers. Sorry. Thats all I got for the soft food phase

Almonds - string cheese - I wonder why that stuff never goes bad - protien bar of course. Keep nonfat yogurt or a bean salad in your room. I ask hotels do a fridge for medical concernsand then have groceries delivered veggies and hummus as well. tuna or chicken salad on sliced cucumber is a good in room option as well. Enjoy the magical kingdom.

1 hour ago, Stella S said:

string cheese - I wonder why that stuff never goes bad

More preservatives than a salt mine??? :-)

Ready-made chicken salad in the same aisle as the tuna packets. Yogurt. Take shakes and a thermal cup - don't get dehydrated - that would be worse than not getting food - and you just can't get caught up easily once that happens. Keep egg salad in your hotel fridge, refried Beans to microwave w some cheese - could buy a chicken burrito and just eat the insides.

I was at Disney World in December. I am a few months out and way past the soft food stage. But I will tell you that you won’t find much you can eat in the parks. And ordering for yourself at one of the sit down restaurants is a total waste since you can’t eat much of it. Typically I would eat a small amount off someone else’s plate (for instance my husband got a club sandwich and I ate the meat and cheese off one of the wedges). We did bring in at least one meal everyday and ate it at an outside table. We also ate Breakfast in the hotel every morning before we headed out (food we brought). We flew with a soft side cooler and brought yogurt, Protein Drinks, soft cheese, some pre-made lunch packs with meat, cheese and crackers, Peanut Butter, apple slices, etc. Know that you CAN fly with food as long as it is checked. And you can bring any food and drinks into the park. Finally, there are ways to have groceries delivered to your room both in and off Disney property. Check the web for details.

Take Protein powders, and ask for Water or use milk from one of the many restaurants. Protein bars are good. sugar free apple sauces are already stored unrefrigerated in the stores. Oranges and apples will last you. I will take apples with 'Jif to go Natural' Peanut Butter cups. Tyson premium chunk white chicken breast can be snacked on with cheese sticks. Also, you can get a salad at just about any place there.

Take Protein powders, and ask for Water or use milk from one of the many restaurants. Protein bars are good. sugar free apple sauces are already stored unrefrigerated in the stores. Oranges and apples will last you. I will take apples with 'Jif to go Natural' Peanut Butter cups. Tyson premium chunk white chicken breast can be snacked on with cheese sticks. Also, you can get a salad at just about any place there.

Great thanks everyone for your recommendations. I haven’t tried any fruit yet I’ve been kinda nervous. But I may give it a go today so see if that’s an option for the trip.

Half an egg McMuffin. 150 calories, 8g of Protein. There's always a McDonalds. Pair that with a Decaf coffee and you're good to go:)