Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping positions

Hi all! I was wondering what sleeping positions people found most comfortable after surgery? And for how long you had to sleep that way?

I’m generally a side-sleeper thanks to sleep apnoea giving me trouble when I sleep on my back, but I imagine side sleeping will be hard after surgery.

Also, considering buying myself a pregnancy pillow for comfort . Anyone used any “apparatus” to get a comfortable night’s sleep?

Yes - I am also a side sleeper. For the first four nights I slept in a recliner chair in hospital. Once home and in a bed, I could sleep comfortably on my side with a soft cushion/short pillow sort of under my tummy. A few days later, I just seemed to hold it in front of my tummy, and now just over two weeks post surgery I don’t need it.

Makes the world of difference getting a good sleep! Good luck...

That was one my biggest annoyances. I had to sleep on my back for about a week, and I'm exclusively a side sleeper. Between the surgery and a bruised rib during, it was impossible to side sleep. Sometimes recliner helped, sometimes not.

Thank you both for your replies and sharing your experiences! I’ll invest in a nice soft pillow to help. Luckily there is a recliner chair in the house I could use if bed fails. Definitely want to try and sleep as well as possible to aid recovery.

When I had my RNY, I slept on my right side. I was always a stomach sleeper. It took awhile to get used to it. Since I lost weight I have a small pillow to put between my knees. After my WLS I couldn't sleep on my left side because that was the worse side for pain. Due to them using that side for the Instruments to go thru. Around 12 years ago I had to have back surgery, the only way I could sleep was on my right side. I have become a side sleeper. LOL One little ti-bit I have found if I have gas (and I have a lot of gas) if I use my PAPAYA ENZYMES (100% natural) and lie on my left side it helps me get rid of it. Also if I am sick to my stomach something about my left side helps so much.

For the first few days after surgery, I slept on my back with a body pillow over my stomach to keep my cat from sleeping on me like she would like to. I tried sleeping on my side several times, but the pain wouldn't let me until about two weeks later. I'm generally a side and stomach sleeper and I wasn't able to comfortably sleep on my stomach until maybe 3 or 4 weeks post surgery.

Right after I had to sleep on my back with my upper body slightly elevated (a recliner didn't work for some reason). Now just a little further out I'm sleeping on my back or my left side (my left side only has one incision, my right side - which I can't sleep on has 2 including the bigger one). I accidentally laid on my stomach for a few minutes last night and that was a mistake.

On my back, then, when I could tolerate it, on my side with a pillow to support the incision site. Now I can sleep on my stomach once more.

I’m only 2 days post op and feel like my side with a body pillow propped up against my incision is the most comfortable. I slept on my stomach yesterday and it relieved ALOT of pain for some reason but I know I’m not supposed to be sleeping on my stomach for a while but it really did relieve the pain. I avoid my back because I have 2 cats that like sleeping on my stomach if I’m on my back.