Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass , sleeve, lapband?

Just wondering whats everyones opinion on these options, which are more beneficial . Any help would be appreciated. Leaning toward sleeve.

Edited by Rudedogg89

stay away from the lapband. Most surgeons refuse to do them anymore because so many people have had problems with them. Both sleeve and bypass are good surgeries. Your particular medical situation might make one or the other more appropriate for you, but either one is a good choice.

5 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

stay away from the lapband. Most surgeons refuse to do them anymore because so many people have had problems with them. Both sleeve and bypass are good surgeries. Your particular medical situation might make one or the other more appropriate for you, but either one is a good choice.

I have my 1st consult jan9 wgere the doc will explain the options, im scared but i know i need it, i have severe sleep apnea and driving after work is a risk every night for me. I need help

if your only issue is sleep apnea, you can probably go with either surgery. The surgeon will explain your options and let you know if he/she thinks one or the other might be more appropriate for you (I had GERD, so mine recommended bypass over sleeve)

28 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

if your only issue is sleep apnea, you can probably go with either surgery. The surgeon will explain your options and let you know if he/she thinks one or the other might be more appropriate for you (I had GERD, so mine recommended bypass over sleeve)

So far yes my sleep apnea is my only medical issue due to my weight. May i ask what pushed you to surgery?

2 minutes ago, Rudedogg89 said:

So far yes my sleep apnea is my only medical issue due to my weight. May i ask what pushed you to surgery?

gaining and losing the same 30-50 lbs over and over and over again. This went on for almost 20 years. And I had over 200 lbs to lose altogether. At some point I admitted to myself that I just couldn't do it on my own, so I started looking at surgery. Plus I knew if I didn't get the weight off, I was going to cut my life short. I wanted to live a normal life.

btw - I would do it again for sure and wish I'd done it years ago. In fact, if I had to go back every year and have it re-done, I would. I can't believe I waited so long! But I was really afraid to take this step for a long, long time. I'm so glad I finally did it, though. one of the best decisions I've ever made!

32 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

btw - I would do it again for sure and wish I'd done it years ago. In fact, if I had to go back every year and have it re-done, I would. I can't believe I waited so long! But I was really afraid to take this step for a long, long time. I'm so glad I finally did it, though. one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Sounds motivating, my daughter is 3 months old and im scared of never waking up due to dying in my sleep, i feel exhausted every day and feel as if i didnt sleep at all at times, i have low energy, i need a change and that pushed me to see the doc, my first meeting to start the 3 month process is jan 9th, i need to do a nutrionist class and some testing, but im so excited and scared, i really want to lose weight and get healthy.

I had my sleeve done 4 months ago and I've lost 45 kg/100 lbs.

This is the best decision I've ever made.

You can eat what ever you want with the sleeve, tonight I had a Christmas party and had 1 small piece of pizza, obviously wouldn't eat it every day, but as a once off it caused no problems.

I would do it again no questions asked. I just wish I had it done 10 years ago.

Edited by BigAussieGirl

I had the sleeve done a year ago and have lost 115 pounds. I would for sure do it again, best decision I've ever made. I went with the sleeve for a couple reasons. 1) I didn't like the idea of having my intestines messed with and I had concerns about mal-absorption. 2) I liked that the sleeve allows you to eat most anything in Moderation because I didn't want to be "forced" to avoid certain things, I wanted to make the choice to avoid those items and make a lifestyle change.

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

. 2) I liked that the sleeve allows you to eat most anything in Moderation because I didn't want to be "forced" to avoid certain things, I wanted to make the choice to avoid those items and make a lifestyle change.

actually, most RNY'ers can eat anything, too, once we're a few months out. Some of us, of course, dump, but a lot of us don't (unfortunately - I wanted to be one of them!). The statistic I see thrown around a lot is that 30% of us dump. I don't know if there's any hardcore research behind that, but suffice it to say, I've been hanging out on bariatric boards for about five years, and there are a lot of us who don't dump.

Thank you all for your responses, i will definitely be updating everyone as the time progresses. I am so excited for this change, i am also thankful i found this forum so i can have people to talk to about this

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Like has been mentioned already, stay away from the lap band. My surgeon refuses to do that procedure due to the dangers and two of my friends who had the lap band both ended up in the hospital after 2+ years with serious infections and one had the band cut into their stomach and almost died.

I got the sleeve but I wasn't sure which surgery my surgeon would recommend for me. I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and diabetes but because I needed to lose less than 100 lbs he recommended the sleeve for me and I'm very grateful.

I had/have a couple of concerns with RNY based on a couple of people I know have had this surgery: 1. The couple of folks that I know have had issues with dumping so they must avoid certain foods (fats and sugars since they cut out the part of your intestines that digest this - so if they eat it, they are running to the bathroom with serious stomach pains and diarrhea) 2. Since you still have the part of your stomach that creates the hunger hormone attached and feeding into your intestines, you still feel hungry which is eliminated with the gastric sleeve since that portion is cut out so you only have a very small amount of ghrelin being produced.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, SummerDream said:

2. Since you still have the part of your stomach that creates the hunger hormone attached and feeding into your intestines, you still feel hungry which is eliminated with the gastric sleeve since that portion is cut out so you only have a very small amount of ghrelin being produced.

I can't speak for the sleeve since most of what I know is anecdotal (since I didn't really research it), but most RNY'ers lose their hunger for up to a year (although mine came back early - at six months' post-op). I know of a couple who never got their hunger back, but I think that's kind of rare.

Just wondering whats everyones opinion on these options, which are more beneficial . Any help would be appreciated. Leaning toward sleeve.

I would recommend against the lap band. I had a lap band for 10 years. Lost a lot of weight at first but only bc I was vomiting everything I ate. So I learned that I could eat ice cream and other “slider” foods. I couldn’t eat healthy foods bc they would get stuck. I hardly ever felt a restriction, no decrease in appetite, and i regained all of the weight. My surgeon doesn’t even do lap bands anymore either bc they have such a high failure rate and lots of complications.

Lap band 10/2007 revised to RNY 12/22/2017
HW 270
SW 263
CW 257