Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post op weight loss

So I started out at 336 and am 296 right now as happy as I am the past 3 weeks I have slowly been losing weight seems like 1-2 pounds a week is this normal amount of weight loss? I was so excited cuz I lost 25 pounds the first three weeks and now it’s getting slower and slower. Trying not to lose faith.

1 hour ago, Cindy757 said:

I lost 25 pounds the first three weeks and now it’s getting slower and slower.

Cindy,

Watch the trend. A few ounces per week is okay as long as the general trend is down.

Watch ALSO for the non-scale victories. e.g. I lost only 400g (13.5 ounces) this week (Week 10) but, THANKS TO TWO HOURS EXERCISE PER DAY, my waist fell from 142cm to 138cm. (56 inches to 54 inches.)

I also had to move my car seat another notch closer to the steering wheel.

My body fat dropped 1.3%.

Non-scale victories (NSVs) are the positive changes that do NOT show on the scales. WELCOME THEM!

yes - normal. Any big drop is going to be within the first month or so - after that, it slows down quite a lot. Just stick to your plan and it'll come off. Two pounds a week is 104 lbs a year...

4 hours ago, Cindy757 said:

I have slowly been losing weight seems like 1-2 pounds a week is this normal amount of weight loss? I was so excited cuz I lost 25 pounds the first three weeks and now it’s getting slower and slower. Trying not to lose faith.

Your rate/speed of weight loss depends on gender, genetics, age and starting weight.

To put things into perspective, you lost 25 pounds in the first 3 weeks. On the other hand, it took me nearly 8 weeks to lose my first 25 pounds.

With the exception of the first 2 months, all of my losses were single digit (read: 1 to 7 pounds per month). It took me almost 18 months to lose 100 pounds.

The most important outcome is that I attained my goal and have been able to maintain the weight loss so far.

Realistic expectations are of the utmost importance. You may not post a daily or weekly loss, but an overall downward trending of your weight is what you should seek.

Good luck to you. :)

You had a huge loss in the first month so it is normal for it to slow while your body adjusts. As long as there is a downward trend your moving in the right direction. Weight loss is not linear.

My doctor told me the average is 10 per month for the first 6 months, then drops to an average of 5 per month for the next 6 months. They were clear that this is an average. They also told me to watch monthly trends because week to week can vary. It is normal for me to lose nothing for 3 weeks then have a large drop in week 4.

Im down 55 at six months post op. The doctors estimate was really close. Of course I'd like it to be faster, but I can't complain...I would never have lost this much without surgery.

Your amount of weight loss will taper down the further you are out from surgery. Your weight loss is not only dependent on you starting weight but also on the type of surgery you had. Generally individuals that underwent RNY gastric bypass surgery will lose weight at a very quick rate. I had gastric bypass and entered the maintenance phase around 7 months post op. Sleeve patients lose weight at a much slower weight but they can achieve almost the same amount of weight loss over time. Many do not transition to maintenance phase until a couple years after surgery.