Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Increased heartbeat after surgery

Hey guys! It's been a week since my surgery and I'm now experiencing an elevated heartbeat when I stand. Lying down will be normal, getting up it jumps to 113. It's causing me to be seriously lightheaded. Going to speak to my surgeon today but I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

38 minutes ago, Candiakilah said:

It's causing me to be seriously lightheaded.

I had some moments of lightheadedness for about a month after surgery.

Waking up after a long sleep without food or drink would be number one trigger.

A second trigger was going for a long swim (2-3 hours) and sipping only Water every dozen or so laps.

I've adjusted better ten weeks down the track.

Dizziness or light-headedness when standing up occurs as a result of abnormal blood pressure regulation. Normally, when people stand, gravity causes blood to pool in the veins of the legs and trunk. This pooling lowers the blood pressure and the amount of blood the heart pumps to the brain.

According to the internet:

When you stand up, gravity causes blood to pool in your legs and abdomen. This decreases blood pressure because there's less blood circulating back to your heart.

Normally, special cells (baroreceptors) near your heart and neck arteries sense this lower blood pressure. The baroreceptors send signals to centers in your brain, which signals your heart to beat faster and pump more blood, which stabilizes blood pressure. These cells also narrow the blood vessels and increase blood pressure.

Orthostatic hypotension occurs when something interrupts the body's natural process of counteracting low blood pressure. Many different conditions can cause orthostatic hypotension, including:

Dehydration. Fever, vomiting, not drinking enough fluids, severe diarrhea and strenuous exercise with excessive sweating can all lead to dehydration, which decreases blood volume. Mild dehydration can cause symptoms of orthostatic hypotension, such as weakness, dizziness and fatigue.

Heart problems. Some heart conditions that can lead to low blood pressure include extremely low heart rate (bradycardia), heart valve problems, heart attack and heart failure. These conditions prevent your body from responding rapidly enough to pump more blood when standing up.

Endocrine problems. Thyroid conditions, adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease) and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can cause orthostatic hypotension, as can diabetes — which can damage the nerves that help send signals regulating blood pressure.

Nervous system disorders. Some nervous system disorders, such as Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy, Lewy body dementia, pure autonomic failure and amyloidosis, can disrupt your body's normal blood pressure regulation system.

After eating meals. Some people experience low blood pressure after eating meals (postprandial hypotension). This condition is more common in older adults.

There could be a few causes to review. The first is dehydration. Make sure you are meeting your Fluid requirements. The second is an electrolyte imbalance. Are you taking the right mix of minerals in your daily Vitamins and is the form of the vitamins, a type that can be absorbed by your new stomach. The third element has to do with prescription medicine. Prior to my surgery I had high blood pressure. Within weeks after surgery, I took myself off all my high blood pressure meds because my blood pressure returned to normal. If you were and still are taking prescription meds for high blood pressure, this may be a sign to talk to your doctor and reduce your medication.

@James Marusek I :780_sparkling_heart: you! Thank you for always being calm and responding with super helpful information! I've learned so much from reading your replies! Merry Christmas hon!

3 hours ago, James Marusek said:

Dizziness or light-headedness when standing up occurs as a result of abnormal blood pressure regulation. Normally, when people stand, gravity causes blood to pool in the veins of the legs and trunk. This pooling lowers the blood pressure and the amount of blood the heart pumps to the brain.

According to the internet:

When you stand up, gravity causes blood to pool in your legs and abdomen. This decreases blood pressure because there's less blood circulating back to your heart.

Normally, special cells (baroreceptors) near your heart and neck arteries sense this lower blood pressure. The baroreceptors send signals to centers in your brain, which signals your heart to beat faster and pump more blood, which stabilizes blood pressure. These cells also narrow the blood vessels and increase blood pressure.

Orthostatic hypotension occurs when something interrupts the body's natural process of counteracting low blood pressure. Many different conditions can cause orthostatic hypotension, including:

Dehydration. Fever, vomiting, not drinking enough fluids, severe diarrhea and strenuous exercise with excessive sweating can all lead to dehydration, which decreases blood volume. Mild dehydration can cause symptoms of orthostatic hypotension, such as weakness, dizziness and fatigue.

Heart problems. Some heart conditions that can lead to low blood pressure include extremely low heart rate (bradycardia), heart valve problems, heart attack and heart failure. These conditions prevent your body from responding rapidly enough to pump more blood when standing up.

Endocrine problems. Thyroid conditions, adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease) and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can cause orthostatic hypotension, as can diabetes — which can damage the nerves that help send signals regulating blood pressure.

Nervous system disorders. Some nervous system disorders, such as Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy, Lewy body dementia, pure autonomic failure and amyloidosis, can disrupt your body's normal blood pressure regulation system.

After eating meals. Some people experience low blood pressure after eating meals (postprandial hypotension). This condition is more common in older adults.

There could be a few causes to review. The first is dehydration. Make sure you are meeting your Fluid requirements. The second is an electrolyte imbalance. Are you taking the right mix of minerals in your daily Vitamins and is the form of the Vitamins, a type that can be absorbed by your new stomach. The third element has to do with prescription medicine. Prior to my surgery I had high blood pressure. Within weeks after surgery, I took myself off all my high blood pressure meds because my blood pressure returned to normal. If you were and still are taking prescription meds for high blood pressure, this may be a sign to talk to your doctor and reduce your medication.

That is such wonderful information.

I've been kind of on the other spectrum where now the docs had to remove me from my blood pressure meds because it was getting a tad to low and causing some of those symptoms.

Increased heart rate is also known as tachycardia. I had issues with post-op tachycardia that began the day I after was sleeved.

I followed up with a cardiologist 9 days after surgery, but he wasn't that concerned. He insisted the rapid heart rate was my body's response to the stress of surgery. He started me on a beta blocker medication to slow the heart rate.

My heart rate returned to normal about 3 to 4 weeks after this episode started and I no longer need the prescribed medication. Sometimes our bodies respond to major surgery in wonky, unusual ways.

14 hours ago, James Marusek said:

amount of blood the heart pumps to the brain.

That explains the blank feeling north of my neck! :-) :-) :-)

It's sounds like you have a touch of orthostatic hypotension. The elevated heartbeat would be a natural compensatory response to your low blood pressure. Are you getting all your fluids? If you are and you're still experiencing light headedness with standing you may want to try getting some more. You may be dehydrated. Call your surgeon either way. Dizziness is cause for concern, and while it may turn out to be "nothing" it's better to run it by someone.

Edited by KCRN

Increased heart rate is also known as tachycardia. I had issues with post-op tachycardia that began the day I after was sleeved.

I followed up with a cardiologist 9 days after surgery, but he wasn't that concerned. He insisted the rapid heart rate was my body's response to the stress of surgery. He started me on a beta blocker medication to slow the heart rate.

My heart rate returned to normal about 3 to 4 weeks after this episode started and I no longer need the prescribed medication. Sometimes our bodies respond to major surgery in wonky, unusual ways.

Thank you for sharing, I've been freaking out.

It's sounds like you have a touch of orthostatic hypotension. The elevated heartbeat would be a natural compensatory response to your low blood pressure. Are you getting all your fluids? If you are and you're still experiencing light headedness with standing you may want to try getting some more. You may be dehydrated. Call your surgeon either way. Dizziness is cause for concern, and while it may turn out to be "nothing" it's better to run it by someone.

I checked with my surgeon and she agrees with you. Possible dehydration. I definitely couldn't consume enough fluids after surgery due to reflux. We'll see how it goes.

I had the same issue after my surgery last December. After about a month it eased its way back down. Im going through it again but i'm going to try my best to drink more Water. We'll be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app