Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question about pouch getting clogged up. Does it go down on its own? Anything I can do to help it get unplugged? How long does the discomfort last? Thanks

I am not too sure what you mean by the pouch getting clogged up. If I consume too much food, I will get dumping syndrome. It is a horrible experience which lasts for several hours (around 3-4 hours). Generally it is relieved by vomiting up the food. If you try to lay down during an episode, it will be almost impossible to sleep. Generally I just try and stay awake and watch television until it eases up. For that reason it is best not to eat prior to bedtime.

There are pre-triggers that will tell you if you are approach dumping. This can be sneezing, congestion, food changing taste radically, mucous forming. The differ between people. But if you detect these pre-triggers it is good to stop eating immediately because the next bite can put you over the edge.

I have a question about pouch getting clogged up. Does it go down on its own? Anything I can do to help it get unplugged? How long does the discomfort last? Thanks

Try 1 serving of papaya extract. Works every time for me. I have completed 5 weeks post op and am entering my 6th week. So I am trying new foods to see what I can/can't do. If I feel my pouch clogged I take 1 serving and it helps with breaking the food down and letting it pass. Takes a little for it to happen but it prevents vomiting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, James Marusek said:

I am not too sure what you mean by the pouch getting clogged up. If I consume too much food, I will get dumping syndrome. It is a horrible experience which lasts for several hours (around 3-4 hours). Generally it is relieved by vomiting up the food. If you try to lay down during an episode, it will be almost impossible to sleep. Generally I just try and stay awake and watch television until it eases up. For that reason it is best not to eat prior to bedtime.

There are pre-triggers that will tell you if you are approach dumping. This can be sneezing, congestion, food changing taste radically, mucous forming. The differ between people. But if you detect these pre-triggers it is good to stop eating immediately because the next bite can put you over the edge.

OMG you just nailed something for me well I think you have. I am not a big coffee drinker never have been but from time to time I like to have a starbucks while I am meeting with friends. So (the lactose intolerance has let up) I order a coffee with about 2-3 tbls of whole whipping cream so I can keep the sugar down I am only allowed to have 5 grams at a time. I have had this coffee 3x now and every time I get about a quarter of the way down (medium size) and i will get an intense sensation of wanting to throw up it lasts for about a minute and then I sneeze every time and after this happens I can not take another drink for fear of throwing up. After about 2-3 I am fine back to my normal self do you think this could be a precursor to dumping???? I already told myself no more of that drink I wonder if it is the cream or the coffee. I don't really want to test to see which it is lol. I haven't dumped yet and I would like to keep it that way I have heard horror stories so I try my darndest to stay right with what the Doctor has spelled out for me. I am allowed coffee and this is one of the ways they suggest having it but then again everyone has a different system.

It is also caused by eating too fast and not chewing enough. I'm 2 months post op and learned the hard way. I threw up for 30 minutes and felt bad for three hours. I am very careful to eat very slow and small bites and chew the heck out of every bite.

Yes, I've learned the hard way too. No vomit yet but feel sick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

For me, if I eat too fast or have one bite too many, I'll get an almost immediate pain right behind the lower part of my breastbone. It's a SUPER uncomfortable, bordering on mildly painful, feeling. I start creating A LOT of excess saliva (to the point I have to spit it out), which tells me that bit of food is coming right back up. Once I spit it up (it's vomiting, but it's such a small amount that to me it's just a bigger pile of spit haha), I feel better and that tightness is gone. I will either wait another 1-2hrs before trying to have anything else, or I may just postpone and wait until my next meal time to have anything. Depends on how 'normal' I feel after spitting up the offending food. I know some people have been able to walk around and that helps them keep food moving if they think they've got a small blockage from a piece of food not chewed well enough, but for me spitting up is the only helpful option.

You get better at understanding your body's new limits, just take it SUPER slow and really pay attention to how you feel. I had to start using the stopwatch on my phone when I eat meals, just to keep myself mindful to eat slowly. I've gotten much better at slowing down and listening to my body about when enough is enough.