Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Eating Too Much?

Hello, I've never actually posted on here before this is my first post, and I'm coming here because I'm scared I'm eating or consuming too much. I haven't gained any weight or anything, so really I have no reason to be concerned but I guess it's just some late night anxiety?

So a little about me: I'm 14 months post-op. I was 336 pounds when I started the surgery journey, 302 pounds on the day of surgery, I blew past my surgeons goal of about 220LB's, my own goal of 199LB's, and currently weigh 156 LB's. I'm 24 a 5ft 9inch male. What I currently eat and have been eating like on a typical day I'd say for about the last 6 months usually looks something like this:

Breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and 3 frozen sausage links

About 2 and a half hours later: A fruit (usually a banana, grapes, or an orange.)

About 2 Hours after that: Ham and cheese or turkey and cheese wrap on a whole wheat wrap

About 2 Hours Later: strawberry Greek Yogurt

About 3 Hours later: About half a bowl or I guess maybe a small bowl of chicken Stir Fry (Usually has Chicken, Corn, Greenbeans, Broccoli, and Pea's in it)

About 2 Hours after that usually another Fruit (again a banana, grapes, or orange usually whatever I didn't have earlier that day.)

In between that I'm usually drinking Water and 1 cup of 1% milk a day.

Obviously this isn't what I eat EVERY day but I'd say it's pretty typical. Something similar or along these lines, I don't always eat the same amount. Some days I might only have 1 snack, some days I might not have any. I'm just worried about consuming a lot of food. I know my appetite has increased the last few months and my doctor said it would I just want to make sure it's increased to a normal amount. So does this seem to be about what you guys can eat a year out or later or does it seem like a lot.

So I added up your calories being as conservative as possible and you are above your maintenance level. If you aren't working out to remove the overage.... you will gain. Maybe you should go back to documenting everything for a week or two to see where you are really at. If you need to.... adjust accordingly. At your current rate (without exercise) you will put on 1 pound every week and a half. Im guessing you are exercising. So as long as you burn 2100 calories (ish) a week you are in great shape. Congrats!!!!

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I would get my BMR and RMR tested.

If you have been eating like this for the past 6 months and you haven't gained, it looks like you have found your maintenance lvl. If you are still loosing, you are below, if you are gaining, you are above. Adjust accordingly.

I'm a 5ft 5inch female and my RMR, what I need to eat to maintain, is just over 2000kcal. (tested)

There are no set maintenance lvl, it's all individual. If you are worried you are eating too much, get it tested.

Edited by Meryline

I would get my BMR and RMR tested.
If you have been eating like this for the past 6 months and you haven't gained, it looks like you have found your maintenance lvl. If you are still loosing, you are below, if you are gaining, you are above. Adjust accordingly.
I'm a 5ft 5inch female and my RMR, what I need to eat to maintain, is just over 2000kcal. (tested)
There are no set maintenance lvl, it's all individual. If you are worried you are eating too much, get it tested.

That sounds like excellent advice!

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I agree with the other posters. If you want to maintain and you *are* maintaining on that level, then you've found your sweet spot. If you're gaining and don't want to, cut back. If you're still losing and don't want to, then increase your calories.

Metabolism rates vary tremendously, so it's impossible to say whether you're eating too much or not just based on what you listed. Some people would gain on that, some would lose, some would maintain. It's all very individual. I'm a 5'6" female at a normal BMI and could (and do) maintain on about that much.

If you want to be accurate in your diet, you absolutely must weigh/track your food. You say you have cheddar with your eggs. Is that extra sharp cheddar or actually velvetta? 1 oz of velveeta is approximately 60 calories while Boars Head Extra Sharp Cheddar is 110 calories. (that is in no way an endorsement for velveeta, yuck!) The amount of calories in a sausage link varies so wildly that they could be as little as 25 calories per link to as much as 150.

On the wrap, you say meat and cheese again. How much meat and how much cheese? Is it Aldi pressed meat that is swollen with Water or Boars Head smoked ham? These kind of differences make an incredible difference, not only with calories but also in regards to nutrients and macros.