Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I cheat one time what does that do to my 14 day liquid only diet?

It starts up your digestive process again. It can take days for food to go through your intestines, especially if you eat animal meat. It also creates massive hormone swings. I personally wouldn't mess with it!

I'm on day 4 of my 10 day liver reduction diet and have had a bit if food each day. Usually more veg, some lean protien, or cottage cheese. Mine is very strict (3-4 Protein Shakes and 1/2 c. Non-starchy veg each day), and I'm confused why I'm even on it, as I am getting a revision that is altering my intestine where the large and small connect, at the opposite end from where the pouch and liver are.

I'm going to call the dietician tomorrow to ask about it. All the liquid is killing me, and I'm a teacher and can't just go to the bathroom whenever I want. :-(

(Also, this diet is making me whiny. Please excuse my mope.)

I didn’t get to the point of needing this surgery by cheating on a diet one time, or eating one piece of candy at a time, or whatever etc. I’m trying to avoid that thinking because for me once leads to twice leads to a week.

Everyone has their own stopping points I suppose but it reminds when I quit smoking for good...I never had that one more cigarette.

I’m determined to stick to my preop diet to prove to myself that I can and will stick to the post op diet.

Call me callous, but I do not understand why people would cheat during this phase. I mean I understand that there is temptation but the surgery is so close. For those getting covered by insurance, many of us have to wait 3-6 months. To me, cheating would seem like too much of a risk of having to start the entire process over again because the surgeon cannot operate due to the liver size. My wait is only 3 months and even that seems like an eternity. I am not about to let 2 weeks potentially get in the way of having the surgery done. When I first started the journey back on Oct. 23rd, it felt like late January - early February might as well be 10 years away. Now that I am about to have my second nutrition appointment and the psychological, be damned if anything that is under my control is going to derail this.

Edited by BlackCatMatt

Blackcatmatt.....talk to me about wanting a bite of something when you can't have it and your stomach is gnawing through! Let me know then please. I've worked my butt off to get this surgery...been months of waiting, forgive me for being human.

Thank you for the reply. Im 6 days in my 14 days before surgery and it is tough.

My surgery is in two days, and after a week of sticking to my diet, both yesterday and today, I cheated. I'm supposed to be on 600 cal of Protein Shakes + a few egg whites.

I had 400 calories of tofu (2g carbs) yesterday, and then today I had what felt like an uncontrollable urge to chew, chew, chew, and so I had another serving of tofu.

Tomorrow evening I'm supposed to start the magnesium citrate to clean out my digestive system, so my intention is to start tomorrow morning instead -- in hopes that the extra 12 hours of fasting will help use up all the glycogen in my liver and make up for some of the cheating.

It's ridiculous, but "no calories" is easier for me to manage than "protein shakes and egg whites".

Edited by Once Upon a Sleeve